Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

King in Augusta (Katrina fundraiser)

edited September 2005 in General news
AUGUSTA -- Author Stephen King will be in Augusta Monday at a spaghetti dinner to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, according to an announcement made today.

The community dinner, organized by Gov. John Baldacci and the American Red Cross Chapters of Maine, will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Augusta Armory, 179 Western Ave. The suggested donation is $5.

"It's a way for the larger community of citizens to do what they can do and come together in a public event, and give an opportunity for the American Red Cross to go through and make a presentation about their resources and their needs," Baldacci said.

King will speak during the event. Baldacci said Maine entertainers are welcome to attend the event as well.

To RSVP for the dinner, or to donate money, auction items or services, call 1-800-452-8735 or 624-4400

Comments

• Stephen King delivered quips almost as fast as he dished out spaghetti sauce Monday evening as he and Gov. John Baldacci stood side by side in the serving line.

"You can tell people Stephen King tossed your sauce," said King, taking a white paper plate that had just been filled by the governor.

The best-selling author and the state's chief executive were the star servers Monday night at a benefit supper for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

>>> complete article
  • That is just an awesome event. :) And SK looks great! It was questionable there for awhile with his health, and all of that fun stuff. He really seems to be doing good. :)
  • I need to move to Maine! :-/

That looks like a lot of fun, and yes, Sai King looks great!

:)
  • jake1999 wrote: I need to move to Maine!  :-/

That looks like a lot of fun, and yes, Sai King looks great!

:)

Wishes I lived in Maine too, but I agree with Rache, Mr King is looking very good :)
  • Stephen King is a ´SHINING´ Example of Maine Spirit!

I had the distinct, and unforgettable, pleasure to meet Mr. Stephen King on Monday 9/12. Yes, *the* Stephen King. At least that´s what I kept thinking in my head, as I watched him serve spaghetti with the rest of the kitchen staff at a Hurricane Katrina benefit last night. He is SO down to Earth, he actually blended right in, which is quite a feat, considering he is 6´4"! Yet, his height was NOT the biggest part of his presence... that would be his heart.

I have looked up to Stephen King my whole life. Being a girl from Maine, you don´t come across many celebrities in your home state. So, for me, Mr. King has become a shining example of just how much you can accomplish, right in your own backyard. I grew up reading his books with my Father, and now buy him the newest one for Father´s Day each year. I was THRILLED to find out my Father could attend the benefit and take a picture of his daughter with one of her idols. My Dad was beaming. It was truly a moment I´ll never forget.

I feel I should mention, at this point, that NONE of these "Kodak moments" would have been possible, were it not for the warmth and generosity, the big heart, that is Stephen King. You see, technically, he was supposed to serve his spaghetti, speak for a few minutes and leave. Girl Power Super Hero, Cookie Cutter Girl, was supposed to perform for him while he served the people of Maine their supper. There was a change of heart by the organizers, and Cookie Cutter Girl was told she couldn´t perform after all, and sent home. Crushed, I returned as just "Julian" and waited in line with the 500 other people to at least get to say "THANK YOU" to Mr. King for all that he has inspired me to accomplish. In fact, it was WKIT, his radio station in Bangor, that was the FIRST to play "Get the Picture," my "Girl Power Pop" single that is now on 500+ TV & RADIO STATIONS! I waited for over an hour in line, and, right when I got to the front, Mr. King was lead away to give his speech... Again, I was crushed and about to give up.

My manager, Frank Douglas, had strength enough for BOTH of us. He knew Stephen King was big hearted man and would want to hear my story, and positioned himself between the exit door and Mr. King. "Doug" stopped him and conveyed how much I just wanted to shake his hand. Not only did my idol accept my thanks, he *OFFERED* to sign Cookie Cutter Girl´s poster, took a picture with me and graciously accepted the gift bag I´d made for him. He thought with his heart, not just his head. Take a tip from the wise Mr. King: always treat other people the way you´d want to be treated. They´ll never forget you for it...

GIRL POWER!

Lynn ´JULIAN´ a.k.a. Cookie Cutter Girl

"Girl Power Pop Super Hero on OVER 500 TV & RADIO STATIONS!"

100% PROCEEDS of "Cookie Cutter Girl" CD go to the

RED CROSS RELIEF FUND: Http://www.CDBaby.com/lynnjulian

MEET COOKIE CUTTER GIRL: Http://www.CookieCutterGirl.com
  • King serves a fan

Meanwhile, Governor John Baldacci today will present a check for nearly $33,000 dollars to an official for the American Red Cross Chapters of Maine.

The money was raised at a public supper in which Baldacci and co-host Stephen King dished out spaghetti to hundreds of guests at the Augusta armory.