Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

King teaches writing...for a day

edited September 2005 in General news
Eckerd College, and by extension the city, can become a national magnet for writers in the making, bestselling mystery author Dennis Lehane said last week.

Lehane, whose 2001 Mystic River was made into an Oscar-winning movie, is here for the 2005-2006 school year, living in Historic Old Northeast and teaching creative writing at Eckerd, his alma mater.

He's also helping organize the January Writers in Paradise conference at Eckerd.

It's the event's second year. Lehane thinks the conference could help the liberal arts college build a national reputation as a creative hothouse.

While diving into a Yankee pot roast Thursday at Midtown Sundries, Lehane casually pulled out a couple of conference nuggets:

Stephen King, among the most acclaimed modern scary-story writers, will teach a one-day class at the conference.

>>> Full story

Comments

• Um.... heyyy!!!!!! This is my neighborhood! Midtown Sundries... that's less than a mile from my house! (and very good food, I might add. I used to work in the building that is right across the street from it) Eckerd College is about 10 minutes away!

I wonder if I can sign up.... ;)
  • Rache,

If I were 10 miels away I'd try and sign up! What a treat that would be! Go for it!
  • Go for it, Rache. :)

I'd sign up for anything if it meant meeting SK :)
  • We'll see what comes out as far as scheduling for it. To read the overview now... it's very focused on aspiring writers, and that is one thing I am not. I'd hate to take up a space there that can be used by someone else.

Now, if there are day passes... sign me up!! ;D