Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

NaNoWriMo

edited November 2005 in A novel in progress
I started the new novel right on schedule this morning. I spent last night culling research so I wouldn't have to waste too much time looking up certain details. My goal is 1700 words per day on average and today I wrote 1800, so it seems manageable, assuming I don't run out of things to write at some point!

I wrote a 3-page prolog and about five pages of the first chapter. As an experiment, I'm writing it in present tense. That my not last through editing, but I wanted to do something different so that I could clear my mind of Missing Persons, to have a different feel for the prose. It actually might work in present tense, but I'm not hooked on it yet.

Comments

• I had wondered what NaNoWriMo was about - but had forgotten to ask.

Is that the working title of your new book, Bev?
  • If you click on the word in the countdown clock above, it will take you to their web site. National Novel Writing Month. Participants try to crank out a 50,000 word first draft during November.
  • Day two is going well, and it's not over yet. Current word count: over 4600. Almost at the 10% mark!
  • I haven't put the countdown clock into the new board yet, so here's the link to NaNoWriMo.

Today's word count: 7122 after three days. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

I ended up with about 5100-5300 yesterday. Didn't get as much done this morning as I'd hoped--got too bogged down with research--but made up for it later on.
  • Today's word count: 9100. I may not get a chance to update again for the next week or so, but I hope to keep up the same pace for the next 10 days.
  • I'm doing NaNoWriMo as well!

Sounds like you're doing a LOT better than I am Bev! Good on ya!

I'm finding it uber-difficult to get any uninterupted writing time, but have managed to snatch a few minutes here and there.

I'm seriously contemplating going down to the local hardware store and purchasing a lock for my office door.

• Hey, Tay, welcome to my BB! Some of you may recognize my Canadian friend from the SKBB.

My best time to write is in the early morning hours of a work day, before anyone else in the house is up. Completely uninterrupted time. The rest of it is catch as catch can. This weekend looks to be productive--I got nearly 4000 words in yesterday--and I hope to get some good blocks of time during the upcoming week, while I'm off from work and taking a break.

Best of luck to you!
  • I had no idea how productive a week at the beach could be! My wife and I rented a beach house on the Texas Gulf Coast to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It's only about 100 miles from where we live and the weather was terrific, really really nice days and it didn't even get all that cool at night. We did a lot of relaxing and reading, but also some work, and boy, did the words ever pour out. Here are my daily running totals:

Monday: no work done, previous total: 15000

Tuesday: 20,295

Wednesday: 25,532

Thursday: 31,045

Friday: 36,530

Saturday: 43,150

Yep, that's right -- another 7000 words and I'll have reached the NaNoWriMo goal, but I'll still have a lot left to do on the book, which I estimate will probably clock in at about 70,000 in first draft.
  • I crossed through 47,000 word territory today. Two more good days of writing and I'll hit the magical 50K threshold!
  • Congratulations on your 10th Wedding Anniversary, Bev. :):):)

My brother just got engaged last Friday to his girlfriend...so an excting weekend, and me has some news too, but will hold it back a wee bit longer and open a thread later :)
  • Come on Dukky - your teasing us!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
  • CRinVA wrote: Come on Dukky - your teasing us!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Hehe - OK, will open another thread in Free for All, matey :)
  • Today, I reached 50,000 words. Still 13 days left in the month!
  • WOOHOO! 8-) Keep it up Bev.... ;)
  • I'm up to 61,000 words as of today. On Thursday I'm heading out west for a four-day research trip. I'll probably get some writing done on the road, but possibly not as much as typical. What I'll probably end up doing is writing in the research rather than adding more plot, which will increase the word count without any forward momentum. We'll see! I'll probably travel over 1500 miles over the four-day weekend. Hope the book turns out to be worth the effort.

My new working title is The Silent Desert. That's brand new and I haven't had time to let it settle in yet, so I'm not sure how attached I am to it yet.
  • I passed through 66,666 words today on my way to over 67,000, and there're still 7 days left in November.
  • :o Wow! You go Bev! :D

Lin (I like that title..)
  • Passed 75,000 words today. I'm officially a:

Read all about my road trip at my Live Journal
  • Today is the last day of NaNoWriMo. I didn't finish The Silent Desert, but I did write 80,000 words in 30 days, which is a feat that boggles even my mind. An average of 2667 words a day, every day, and I know of a handful of days where I didn't write at all. I plan to keep plowing ahead at the same pace until I finish the first draft. I have no idea how many words that will be, but I'm guessing 15,000-20,000. The big crisis is looming.
  • After an 8000-word weekend, I am approaching 92,000 words and expect to finish the first draft in the next few days.
  • First draft complete at 6:30 this morning. 95,555 words. Woo-hoo. 38 days, which averages out to 2500 per day, including days I didn't write (which were few).
  • *applause* Bravo! That is something to be truly proud of, Bev!
  • I'm sad that the story is over. It's so alive in my mind that I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow morning when I've been getting up every day for the last five weeks to live in this made up world.

I guess I'll just have to make up another one. But I sure am going to miss those characters. Of course, I'll get to revisit them when the time comes for revisions, but I'm probably not going to see them for a while.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I'm sad that the story is over. It's so alive in my mind that I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow morning when I've been getting up every day for the last five weeks to live in this made up world.

I guess I'll just have to make up another one. But I sure am going to miss those characters. Of course, I'll get to revisit them when the time comes for revisions, but I'm probably not going to see them for a while.

Well, done, Bev! :)

It's something special when you really feel for the world you have created.

Very talented...
  • I sent the unrevised manuscript off to my agent yesterday for his appraisal. He's swamped with work right now, but he said he wants to read something if I'm this excited about it. Hope he likes it!