Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Writers in Paradise

edited January 2006 in General news
Some of you might be aware that Stephen King is taking part in this program. He's set to speak next Saturday evening at a college here in St. Petersburg, FL.

I went to the college today and checked it out. Got a campus map so I can find the building that he'll be in. Although, given the popularity of the man - I'm sure I'll just have to follow the LONG line of people that are going.

So, I have a question. Considering this is the first time EVER that I've seen an SK reading, how early should I get there? I met him at a book fair and I skipped the reading so I could get in line for the signing (Bev, you were there). ;) So... I'm not quite sure what I'm in for with the crowd & seating, etc.

Any advice?

Comments

• Rache: I'm assuming that if you have a ticket, you're going to get a seat. How close to the front you get is another question. At the Miami Book Fair, there were a lot of other things going on at the same time, so that's not quite the same sort of event, and there won't be a book signing to compete.

Since it's a Saturday, people could conceivably get there fairly early, both to get a good seat and in hopes of running into King before the event. It's hard to say -- I'm of the sort who gets places way too early under normal circumstances. I'd be surprised if they let people in more than 30 minutes or an hour before the event starts.

At MBFi, I seem to remember loitering outside the speaking room for about 30 minutes or so before, but there was someone using the room ahead of him and the people who decided to go to the signing queue rather than the reading.

Quite a few people from the Shocklines message board are going to be there, too.
  • I've decided... you need T-shirts advertising your board. ;)

Thanks for the info, Bev. I remember those pics from Miami too!!! That guy w/his kid in the first one is how I had heard about the signing to begin with. He was (is?) a SKEMER.

I'm dragging my boyfriend and a friend of ours with me to the reading. I'm not going to make them get there too terribly early. But I AM going to try and sneak a camera. I'll buy a disposable one, so the confiscating of it wouldn't upset me too much. ;D
  • The only ban is on FLASH cameras, as I understand it. Ordinary cameras should be okay so long as you leave the flash off.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the event - since there were professional news type cameras there. But, the pics that I took with my cell phone didn't work out. They had an annoying orange spotlight on him, which suited them & their no camera rule perfectly, since it kept any decent pictures from being taken by sneaky people like me. LOL ;D

There are a few pics of me and some of the people from the Mile (as well as our own CC). Hopefully they'll be posted soon.