Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Copyright Laws

Don't get me wrong...This dollar-baby is going to kick ass (I'm sure), and I'm especially happy for Bev to have been a part of the screenplay writing and being able to see a film made out of something he's been a part of (even though it's King's story).

But what makes me sad is that I won't be able to see it. I'm Danish. It's very unlikely that I'll take a trip to the American festival(s) where it's going to be shown.

"Gotham Café" isn't going to pop up on that great web site which contains most of all the other babies. Because of the copyright laws. The reason, I reckon, is because this one is being done more professionally.

Then what about doing some special DVD-version, like with "Paranoid." Okay, 15 minutes is short for a DVD, but some bonus materials could perhaps be added to it.

It's just downright sad living with the knowledge that there exists a King-film you can't see.

Comments

• How about Cannes? There's a chance it might get shown there. Still not very close to you, I know, but it might be a cool trip for you.

It's not entirely about copyright laws, either. The primary concern is the contract with King. He generously allowed us to make the film, but only under certain very specific conditions. He's protecting his own intellectual property. Someday, someone might come along and offer him a ton o'money to do an adaptation of Gotham Cafe and he is preserving the right for him to do so in the future.
  • or maybe in the Netherlands ;D
  • I can always hope for the Miami Film Festival! Every January! (that's a hint.....)