Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Stephen King headed to FSU

edited February 2006 in General news
Stephen King headed to FSU

By Mark Hinson

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Richard Russo (“Empire Falls") has canceled his upcoming reading Feb. 21 as the literary star of this year's Seven Days of Opening Nights arts festival at Florida State.

But wait until you get a load of Russo's last-minute replacement.

Stephen King, who is possibly the most widely-read writer in the country, agreed to cover for Russo with an appearance as part of Seven Days on Feb. 26.

"(King) said he could make it on that date, and we just lucked up," FSU creative-writing professor and "The Godfather Returns" novelist Mark Winegardner said Friday. "We knew we were really asking a favor. ... There's a short list of writers who could step into Rick's shoes."

The sudden substitution left Seven Days organizers scrambling with logistics on Friday afternoon.

"All the Richard Russo tickets already sold will be honored at the King appearance," FSU Special Projects Coordinator Fran Conaway said. "But there are a huge amount of decisions yet to be made about ticket sales and locale."

King tickets are expected to go on sale early next week - most likely by Tuesday or Wednesday.

"We urge people not to start calling immediately because we're just not ready yet to handle it," Conaway said.

Russo, who last visited FSU in February 1998 before he won the Pulitzer, was forced to nix his Seven Days visit because of a family medical crisis. King and Russo both live and write in Maine.

"I've never met King, but he's good friends with him (Russo)," Winegardner said. "That helped."

"We're really excited that someone of King's caliber is coming to the festival, but we're also very sorry about losing Richard Russo," Conaway said.

"My friend (the novelist) Jonathan Lethem likes to joke that there's two kinds of famous," said Winegardner, who gave his wife credit with coming up with the idea of a last-minute writer substitute. "There's writer-famous and then there's famous-famous. Stephen King is one of the few writers who is definitely famous-famous."

King has also agreed to meet with graduate students from FSU's film school and Creative Writing Program.

"He will give an informal master class for our grad students - something he really didn't have to do," Winegardner said. King's lengthy list of best-selling books includes "Carrie," "The Stand," "The Shining," "The Dead Zone," "It" and "Pet Sematary." His writing has been adapted for numerous films including "Stand By Me," "Hearts in Atlantis," "Dolores Claiborne," "Cujo" and "Apt Pupil." Director Stanley Kubrick's screen version of "The Shining" released in 1980 is often cited by critics as being one of the best horror movies ever made.

The Seven Days festival kicks off Thursday with the Prism II: Special Edition II concert featuring various FSU bands and a finale by the Marching Chiefs. Other Seven Days concerts include jazz musician Pat Metheny (Friday), Philadanco dance troupe (Saturday), Momix dance company (Feb. 20), singer Al Jarreau (Feb. 21), writer-broadcaster Garrison Keillor (Feb. 22), folk singer Arlo Guthrie (Feb. 24), classical pianist-radio host Christopher O'Riley (Feb. 25) and country legend Willie Nelson (Feb. 28).

The shows by Keillor, Guthrie and Nelson have sold out. For ticket information on the other concerts, call 644-6500 or visit www.sevendays festival.org.

Comments

• Stephen King fans, get ready to lunge like Cujo for a chance to see the master of horror.

Tickets to hear King speak as a last-minute addition to Florida State University's eighth annual Seven Days of Opening Nights arts festival will go on sale at 11 a.m. on Valentine's Day.

The best-selling author of such scary classics as "Carrie," "The Shining" and "Cujo," will give a talk at 8 p.m. on Feb. 26 in Ruby Diamond Auditorium. Tickets are $7 for students and $15 for the general public.

King agreed to step in as a substitute for Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Richard Russo ("Empire Falls"), who canceled his appearance last week because of a medical emergency in his family.

"The best and most efficient way to purchase King tickets is online at www.sevendaysfestival.org or www.tickets.fsu.edu," FSU special-projects director Fran Conaway said.

Orders also can be placed by calling 644-6500 or in person at the FSU Fine Arts Ticket Office, corner of Copeland and Call streets.

All tickets purchased earlier for the Russo reading will be honored at the King appearance, which is open-seating. Those who wish to get a full refund for their Russo tickets should contact the Fine Arts Ticket Office.
  • According to FSU specials project coordinator Fran Conaway, Stephen King has agreed to sign books following his presentation. "Books will be on sale, or readers may bring their own copies. Signings will be in Ruby Diamond Auditorium following the presentations. For the King signing, there is a limit of one book per person. Also, because of time constraints, this won't be a photo opportunity for individual readers at the King signing." The event comes up as sold-out, but organizers suggest you contact them in case there are ticket returns from people who purchased them originally for the original Russo event.
  • I just spoke with the ticket office at FSU. The event is officially sold out, and there isn't a waiting list to be added to. The only thing they could offer/suggest is to show up and try putting your name in at the "Will Call" window. This is a first come, first served sort of deal - and it's only if someone turns in their tickets that the cannot or won't be using.

I was hoping, but can't say I'm too surprised that they're sold out. *sigh* I should've looked into it as soon as it was announced. Tallahassee is only about 3 hours drive for me. :(
  • King read a new short story called "Memory" at this appearance:

He then launched into the first-person narrative about a wealthy building contractor who is almost crushed to death when he's run over by a construction crane on a job site. The builder grapples regaining speech, thoughts of suicide, a deep hatred for a song by Reba McEntire and exactly what he may have done to his wife while recovering from his coma.

>> Full report
  • Bev, any idea if, when and where he might publish this story?

John
  • No -- that makes two stories that he's test-driven at readings recently that currently aren't scheduled for publication.
  • Here's an interview King did in conjunction with the event.