Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Reports from FSU

edited February 2006 in General news

Comments

• Just got home a few hours ago. All I can say is wow....I can die happy now. I'm done, nothing can get any better. :)

I can't add more to the other reports that were posted about his reading.

I can also see why he doesn't do many signings. There were literally 1000 people there in line. The crowd was much larger than an Eckerd College. After my husband and I watched the line getting longer and longer on both sides of the auditorium, we decided to stay put for a while.

Mr. King was signing up on the stage so my husband went to ask if there was a ramp or something (due to mobility issues on my part). The Dean of the Creative Arts Dept. said he didn't know but would find out and tell us. A few moments later he comes back and says we have two options since there is no ramp.

One: He can take up the items we brought for signing.

or

Two: We can wait until everyone has gone through the line and Mr. King said he will come down to me. :o

Hmmm...real hard choice there.

He did warn us that King was getting tired and was no longer inscribing the books. Whatever. I really didn't care.

Fast forward two hours later, yes, 2 hours, the line was finally getting smaller. They motioned for us to come to the stage. We stood there for several minutes while the police officers and some official looking school people were getting their autographs. The Dean then leaned over and told Mr. King we were there. He looked over and said "Sure I'll go down there."

The whole thing was just surreal to me. He walked down the steps, looks at me and says, "What can I do for you?" I handed him my 1st. ed. of The Shining, I don't think I even said anything. :-/

(Oh, earlier another very officious person handed out sticky notes and asked for everyone to write their names down to make things go faster)

He opened my book, saw the sticky and said, "Who's Sandi?" I did speak this time and said, "Me." He said "Well, thank you for waiting so long Sandi, it was a long line." I said something so unique, like "Oh no...it was worth it." ::)

He said, "Well really, thank you for coming."

I told him I saw him a little over a month ago at Eckerd College. He looked a little confused, said, "Eckerd College?"

I said, "Yes, in St. Pete." Then I said, (Rache will appreciate this) "I really wanted to bring a James Patterson book for you to sign, but didn't want to waste my one book."

He stopped, actually laughed, and said "Oh yes, that was with Dennis Lehane wasn't it?"

Please note....I'm actually having a conversation with him here!

After signing my book he says, "What else do you have there?" It was my signed print of Roland by Michael Whelan. My husband opened it up, Mr. King put it on the stage and signed it as well.

I said "Thank you so much."

He said, "You're welcome."

He shook my husband's hand and we left.

It is a moment I don't think I'll ever forget.

Here's the inscription on my print:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/SKfan70/1sig.jpg

Close up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/SKfan70/SKsig.jpg
  • Damm!  that was pretty cool DB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I was there too!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yes, it really was awesome...a once in a lifetime event for me I'm sure. :)
  • Wow, that really was something. I'm speechless :)

Lilja
  • *sigh* CC... I'm SO ecstatic!! That was a wonderful evening for you... and especially so after seeing him at Eckerd (from an orangish-red-tinged distance)!

Wow. He's awesome. Truly and totally never seems to forget his fans, and doesn't get cranky like some celebrities when things don't go exactly as planned. For him to go out of his way after all of that signing... just... awesome. :) :)

I'm very glad it happened to you!

• I'm thrilled you had such a great experience! Thanks for the report and the pics.
  • Oh, here's your story at this site CC, dayum, that was just exciting girl! :) You know I already posted at SK, but had to tell you again how great this is!!!

Lin :)