Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Cusak checks into 1408

edited March 2006 in General news
John Cusack will star in the bigscreen adaptation of Stephen King's short story "1408" for helmer Mikael Hafstrom, producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dimension Films.

Penned by "The People vs. Larry Flynt" scribes Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, pic centers on a debunker of paranormal occurrences who encounters real terror when he checks into notorious Room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel.

Pic will lense this summer. Location is yet to be determined.

"This film is so much a one-man show," Hafstrom told Daily Variety. "It's quite a contained drama. It is a horror film if you want to put a label on it, but the way I see it, it's much more an inner-journey of this character."

Hafstrom previously helmed the Weinstein Co.'s "Derailed."

"1408" originally appeared as a King audio book, called "Blood and Smoke," and was subsequently included in King's 2002 short story collection "Everything's Eventual."

Cusack's casting comes on the heels of Dimension buying rights to King's latest novel "Cell" for Eli Roth to direct.

Comments

• Samuel L. Jackson has signed on to star in Dimension Films' "1408" alongside John Cusack. The horror film will be based on Stephen King's short story about a debunker of paranormal occurrences who finds real terror when he checks into the Dolphin Hotel's notorious Room 1408. Jackson plays the hotel manager.
  • I just listened to the audio version of this yesterday! I forgot how good it really was!
  • Dimension will release the Stephen King horror story about a severely disturbing hotel room "1408" on May 18th 2007.
  • Grey's Anatomy's Kate Walsh has joined the cast of the horror/thriller, 1408 for Dimension Films.

The film already stars John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson is a film adaptation of Stephen King's novel where Cusack will play a debunker of paranormal occurrences who encounters real terror when he checks into the notorious Room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel, reports Variety. Walsh plays his ex-wife and mother of his young daughter.

1408 is directed by Mikael Hafstrom, and written by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski. They start shooting this summer in the U.K. for a 2007 release.

(On Grey's Anatomy, Walsh plays Mrs. Dr. Shepherd, the wife of McDreamy)
  • Mary McCormack has checked into Dimension Films' Stephen King adaptation "1408," about a haunted hotel.

"Grey's Anatomy" star Kate Walsh has exited due to skedding conflicts with her ABC/Touchstone TV skein. Touchstone had warned her that the series schedule would have to take precedence over any outside role, but the actress accepted the film hoping that something could be worked out.

"1408" is set to shoot in mid-July in the U.K.

John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson topline the pic about a debunker of paranormal occurrences who encounters real terror when he checks into the notorious room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel.

Walsh was to play Cusack's ex-wife.

McCormack's credits include "The West Wing" and "ER." She's also appearing in Lionsgate's upcoming dirty-bomb thriller "Right at Your Door."

• Is this from an old article since they say it's set to shoot in mid July and it's now Aug?

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • The article is new. The film might be shooting and they only just now cast this part since it's probably a small one.
  • Ah, your probably right.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • I am looking forward to this but am curious as to how they are going to flesh the short story out into a feature length movie.
  • In an interview this week, Samuel L. Jackson sez:

What are you doing next?

I’m heading to London on Sunday to do 1408. Stephen King short story. Horror film. With John Cusack. I’ll be done with that in a couple of weeks.
  • 1408 (out May 18) — As a mystery writer researching his next book John Cusack finds out that those who stay in the haunted hotel room 1408 check in but they don’t check out. Good to know: “1408” is based on the Stephen King short-story of the same name.
  • Dimension just announced that 1408 has been pushed back to July 13th.
  • There's supposed to be a sneak peek about 1408 on Entertainment Tonight today. I've also heard that the movie will preview at Fangoria's Weekend Of Horrors in Chicago the weekend of Feb 23rd.

• "More twists and turns than an M. Night Shyamalan movie."

The preview looks promising. I think it's in for inevitable comparisons to Kubrick's "The Shining."
  • where it can be seen? tell something more about it, please :)
  • It comes out in theaters in July
  • I meant the preview ;)
  • It was on the television program Entertainment Tonight. I don't know if they have anything on their web site, but you might check there.
  • Looks good. The backstory shows promise too.
  • Here's a positive review from an advanced screening.
  • And here is my interview with director Mikael Hafstrom.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • Q: Is "1408” already in production?

Lorenzo di Bonaventura: It’s finished. Not quite. That’s a movie where when we set out, we actually did not shoot the ending. We wanted to see the movie before we shot the ending.

Q: So you haven’t shot the ending?

Lorenzo di Bonaventura: No, we’ve got to shoot the ending. (Laughs) It was a really interesting idea because the idea of doing a real time movie in a hotel – one man in a one-bedroom suite for 80 minutes of real time. We didn’t know how you’d come out of that. Like do you need bigger or do you need smaller? What do you need? Or do you feel like he should die or do you feel like he should live? What do you feel? And so we wrote like 15 different endings because Stephen King’s short story doesn’t really have an ending. It just sort of ends and it’s not a cinematic ending. I’ll say it that way. So that’s the last piece of the puzzle, but it’s really fascinating to have done a movie all in a room and we all went sort of crazy.

>>> Source
  • Movie tie-in