Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Ghost Inn

I started writing a new novel last weekend.

Actually, I picked up an old 45-page fragment of a novel and started working on it again. The segment was originally conceived as a book proposal for an installment in a work-for-hire series that wasn't picked up. I really liked the idea, and I've been thinking about it for the past year or so as a standalone novel, something that I can abstract from its original intent.

So, I made a new document and stripped out all of the series-specific details. Primarily, that meant moving the setting from a distant location that I'm not familiar with to a place closer at hand that seems fraught with more possibility. Interestingly, though the story is essentially driven by a particular setting, I didn't find it hard to re-imagine that setting somewhere else. However, since I have to bring the characters to the setting, I had to rewrite some passages to update the change in geography.

The first four chapters are devoted to setting up the characters and bringing them all together, which is a different approach from any of my previous long works. The story thus far isn't linear. I picture it like a spiderweb, and I'm setting the anchor lines before spinning the web across them. I'm hoping there's enough intrigue and mystery to keep interest up—I know it's got me hooked.

For the original proposal, I had to write a full synopsis, which I didn't relish since I hadn't thought through the complete story yet. I'll probably abandon that synopsis completely, since a lot of it was dictated by the series "bible." I wasn't terribly happy with the synopsis, especially the way the story went in the final third, but now I can cast that all aside and just let the story go where it wants to, unencumbered by the constraints of the series.

Before I write any more, I want to start my own bible, my conversation file in which I ramble and bumble about and try to find the edges of the tale. This approach served me well with The Silent Desert. With that novel, I had a clearer idea of where the story had to end up; this time, I have a clearer idea of who the characters are and the experience of writing this book will be to find out where they take me. The setting is restrictive. It keeps all these people in close proximity. They all have agendas, some conspicuous, some hidden. At the heart of the story, there's one big secret, the details of which I haven't completely worked out yet. Until I have these in place, I'll probably just do some more mental prep and research.

So, in summary: 1) It's not a new novel. 2) I didn't start it this weekend. 3) I didn't write anything new to the end of what I already had, simply revised what I wrote in the summer of 2004.

Three lies in the opening sentence of this entry, and yet I feel like it is essentially true!

Here's a nifty way to monitor progress:

Comments

• Did a little bit of work on this over the weekend, primarily this morning:

• I take it there is supposed to be a progress bar of some sort showing up here. I have seen the latest one you are using over at LJ.

Is this book in the same genre as your first one? The approach you are taking is different and it sounds like you are enjoying the challenge.
  • Yes, there's a progress bar -- is it not showing up for everyone?

Currently it says 14039 words (15%)/90000

This one is more of a ghost story than my first one, I think.

I think!

Haven't decided yet.

It's actually more in line with what people might expect me to write about, in a way.
  • Hey Bev - it is there now. Maybe something with Firefox.
  • It's May now. Any progress? :-?
  • No, I haven't really worked on it for a couple of months now. Getting Missing Persons finalized and a bunch of other smaller projects occupied my time. Once I get the synopsis for MP done--which will take some time, synopses are hard to write well and they're probably the most important part in getting an editor to read a manuscript--I have one short story to write for an anthology that I've committed to doing and then I'll get back to this one.
  • Sounds cool, I like ghost stories!!!
  • My ghosts tend to be of the ambiguous sort. Are they real or the product of an overactive or disturbed mind?
  • oooooooooooooooo, sounds interesting!! ;)
  • (modified from my LiveJournal)

I finished an editing read-through of the first seven chapters in preparation for returning to work on this project. I made a lot of stylistic revisions and a few story corrections, and I'm thrilled with the results so far. All the major characters have been introduced, and several elements of conflict established. The framework for the story is in place, so now it's a matter of setting them all in motion and seeing what happens.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a complete synopsis for the story, but I didn't care for my idea of how things were going to play out then. I wrote the synopsis because I needed it for a submission package, but now I feel like I can step away from that forced impromptu outline and let the story grow more organically.

The book is set in Galveston. I used to hear that Glen Campbell song a lot when I was young. I didn't have any idea where Galveston was back then. The song doesn't mention Texas, and while it talks about sea waves and beaches, it doesn't mention that it's an island. Little did I know back then that I'd end up spending over a third of my life (so far) living within a hundred miles of that place.

Close as it is, I've only been there a handful of times, so I'm planning a research trip down there this weekend, which is a four-day holiday for me. I'll take my video camera, mount it on the dashboard of the car and talk as I drive, observing things that will make good local color for the book. Many of the characters are visitors to the island, so I'm looking for the outsider's view for some parts, whereas other sections involve characters fairly familiar with the city.

As I did with my research trip to West Texas last fall, I'll transfer the video to DVD and also save it on my computer so I can pull it up and look at certain sections if I need to refresh my mind about local geography.

I know where the next scene in the book will take place and I look forward to writing it, as it will give me another chance to delve into the primary character. Though this is a multiple viewpoint story, and each of the POV characters has important business to accomplish, my main guy is the locus of activity. Everything revolves around him in one way or another, and his revelations and discoveries will be the biggies.

I'm really excited about this story, though I fear that it falls under the category of "what people might expect from me" for various reasons! Can't say more for now, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean eventually. At least, I hope so.

• New material this morning -- I wrote all of Chapter 8 in a single sitting, 1400 words. I'm very satisfied with how the scene turned out. I also know what's going to happen in Chapter 9, which ends the Thursday section of the novel. I'm not entirely sure what all will come to pass on Friday yet, though.
  • I like the fact that you do yuor research like that, with the video camera going in the car, it sound cool.

The book sounds like it's going to be very interesting.

Who doesn't like a ghost story?!?!?!? ;D
  • I've found it a very effective way of doing location research. By doing a free-flowing commentary as I drive, I help turn images into words on the spot. Capture the first impressions, invoke all the senses, in a way that I can pass on to characters.

I discovered through my trip to West Texas last fall that you can research a location on the internet all you want, but if you don't go there you'll never know the place and you can end up making some horrific mistakes about the most fundamental things based on photographs, maps and aeriel shots.

I save the images, so I can recreate the experience later if needed, but really it's the words that are more important than the video.
  • Looking forward to it Bev... :) keep up the details... it's cool reading the "behind the scenes" stuff.
  • A thousand-word morning.

• I've more or less finished the second section of the novel. I need to revise the most recent chapters, but I'm making forward progress again!

• This is my NaNoWriMo project. World Fantasy weekend cut seriously into my writing time for four out of the seven days of the month so far, so I'm woefully behind schedule. 5300 words for the month so far instead of the requisite 11662 for a 1666 words/day pace. I'm hoping to make up time this weekend. Today was the first day I exceeded the 1666 wpd pace.

• Moving right along!

• One word in front of another

• I think I'm pretty close to the halfway point in the book. It covers Wednesday (briefly), Thursday-Sunday and I'm getting to the end of the Friday section. Saturday is going to be the big day.
  • Finished the Friday section. Definitely at least halfway through:

• Last Saturday: nothing. This week -- much better!

• A productive weekend. Plus, I know what happens in the next three scene/chapters. Beyond that--I'm not so sure, but that material might take me to the Thanksgiving break, which will give me time to contemplate a new thread I need to weave into the story and then what happens next.

• I just hope this thing winds down pretty soon! It has a head of momentum that seems to want to keep on going and going and going!
    Notaro