Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Jake and the Touch

edited March 2006 in Dark Tower
*SPOILERS*

Bev I have a question about The Touch Jake has.

Do you think he has it because he has been though the loop so many times that he being a kid remembers more than say Eddie, Susannah, and/or Roland. Adults tend to forget things more so than kids do.

I believe that is why Oy can almost talk. Oy would retain more from each loop because he is an animal.

I would very much like to know your thoughts about this.

Comments

• That's certainly an interesting idea. I've written that the presience and sensitivity that all the characters exhibit (for example, how quickly they take to new weapons, how fast Eddie felt comfortable riding a horse, things like that) was a sort of deja vu experience for them, because they actually HAD done them before.
  • OK having said all of that now for the real question.

Alain had The Touch also.

Do think Roland, Alain, and Cuthbert were in a loop of their own and for what ever reason Roland went on to his next loop. Maybe this loop was from his adolescents up to the Jericho Hill battle.
  • I think a person could venture out onto some very thin branches trying to figure this all out!

If we accept ka and consider the concept of karma, being reborn to higher versions of oneself, then it's clear what is going on in Roland's existence. Each time a little better, though perhaps only in small increments. That means everyone touched by him gets to play certain roles over and over, again with small variations. However, do we accept that Roland is the be-all and end-all of reality? That he's the driving force for improvement toward perfection? That would simplify the overall picture of the universe, but I don't buy it. Every person gets other chances to strive for perfection--like the "butterfingers" character in Kingdom Hospital. The baseball player who was given a chance to redo a crucial moment, succeed where he failed, and thereby change everything that came after.

Therefore we have wheels within wheels within wheels. It's amazing how big infinity becomes when you start to consider all of the possible variations. Roland being forced to relive things because he is part of someone else's existence and they are gradually and incrementally attaining perfection as well as him.

I have suggested that the way for Roland to break free of the vicious cycle of repetition is to forego the Tower at the end and live out his natural days somewhere, perhaps with Rosa in the Calla. But who's to say that when he dies he doesn't go to another level of the Tower and have to try again because of some minor imperfections in his previous existence?

Thin limbs, branches and twigs of speculation!
  • The concept of this bettering progression would, for my mind, account for why Eddie and Jake ended up brothers when Suzie finally met them in "New York". Jake wanted a brother and Eddie was rid of the "emient junkie" and I still bet that the church they would pass has Rev Don Callahan as resident pastor, again in my mind.

fun things to bounce around in the brainpan.