Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Doctor Who: Leap Second

edited April 2006 in Short Stories
About a month ago, an editor asked me if I would be interested in pitching a story for a "tie-in" anthology. He approached a lot of people, and apparently the response was positive so there were no guarantees that the people he asked would necessarily make it through to the next round.

The pitches were to be quite brief, around 100 words. I got word last night that mine was one of those selected for the anthology. I'm not going to reveal more about the nature of the book at this point. After all, the story is unwritten and who knows--it might end up being dreadful! This is my first time writing in someone else's universe, so it will be an interesting experience. I've been doing some research, immersing myself in the various media involved on the off chance that I'd get the green light.

The working title is "Leap Second." I'll keep y'all updated about its progress. I have to submit the final version, under 5000 words, by October.

Comments

• Very cool- can't wait to hear more details.
  • I'm intrigued! This sounds exciting, Bev! :)
  • I finished Leap Second and sent it off to the editor this morning. It's a 4900-word Doctor Who story featuring the fifth doctor (Peter Davison) and Peri. The story takes place in Prague (as do all the stories in the anthology, which is called Destination: Prague) in 2099. The book will be out next year as part of the long-running Short Trips series from Big Finish/BBC.
  • I just received word from the editor that Destination Prague will be released in March 2007.
  • I got my contract for Doctor Who in the mail today. Four pages long! It's a little more complicated than a routine short story contract because of the copyrighted character issues.
  • Contracts signed, executed and returned by the publisher today along with payment. Now all I have to do is figure out the best way to cash a British Pound Sterling check!
  • Hi Bev!

Congratulations!  A Doctor Who story?  That's interesting...  What kind of research did you do?  How did you "immerse" yourself in the Doctor Who universe?  Are you a Doctor Who fan?

Best,

Eric
  • Before writing the story, I watched every episode featuring Peter Davison, who was "my doctor." I chose to write about him and Peri because they were only together for a couple of episodes and that minimized the chance that I would write something that defied the series continuity. Plus Peri's hot and the actress is one of my MySpace friends!

I chose Davison because he's the doctor I liked the best, in part because I think he's the one most like me.

I've always liked the BBC sci-fi programs, with their cheesy special effects. And I really like the two new doctor series with Eccleston and Tennant. Unfortunately, because of licensing issues, we weren't allowed to play in their universes. Couldn't even acknowledge their existences. We were similarly constrained from using some of the more popular villains, which was probably a good thing, as it forced us to think down innovative paths.
  • Here's the Big Finish (publisher) page for Destination Prague
  • Our editor tells us that we are on for a May publication date, which was the original plan before we got moved up to March. Rewrite notes are expected within the next couple of weeks.
  • I got a sneak peek at the cover art -- we can't show it yet because the proper text isn't yet laid in -- and this is gonna be a gorgeous book.
  • I received my first round of story edits for Leap Second yesterday. Just one request, which helps anchor the tale in the continuity of the Short Trips Who tales. I spent last night reading a related short story and the morning updating my story. One more read-through and I'll be returning the manuscript to the editor.
  • The publisher's page is now up, with story listings and author bios.

And this gorgeous cover:

• I just received a PDF set of page proofs of Destination Prague for my review, and have until April 16th to report back any problems I see with the text. Much and all as I relish the chance to reread Leap Second, I'm looking forwad to the chance to read everyone else's tale, too!

My story sits in the middle of the table of the contents, more or less.
  • I only found two typos and one sentence that was misworded -- in a paragraph inserted by the range editor to provide continuity with other short trip episodes featuring Doc #5 and Peri.
  • Laser proofs have been approved and Doctor Who: Destination Prague is printing right this very moment. Ten days from now the finished hardcovers will be shipping to contributors and the book, the biggest Big Finish Doctor Who book ever, will be in shops in the UK in two weeks. I'm told it might be September before the book shows up in US shops.
  • I received a copy of Destination Prague last night. Not my contributor copy--those are still en route from the publisher--but a second copy I ordered from Amazon/UK. It only took a little over a week to arrive from England, pretty good. It's a gorgeous book and I'm so pleased to be a part of it. Now I need to square away some time to read all the other contributions.
  • For people this side of the pond, you can order the book here for $22.95.
  • Big Finish, the publisher of Destination Prague, revamped their web site. The new link to the book page is here