Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Stephen King joins Seattle lecture series lineup

edited April 2006 in General news
Seattle Arts & Lectures has announced a partial lineup of author events for its 2006-07 season, including a rare appearance by author Stephen King.

Appearances for its Literary Lecture Series include:

· Oct. 9: New York Times op-ed columnist Frank Rich.

· Nov. 21: Frank McCourt, author of "Angela's Ashes," "'Tis" and "Teacher Man."

Other lit lecture authors will be named later.

Special-events lectures, separate from the literary series, will include:

· Oct. 21: Children's author Eric Carle ("The Very Hungry Caterpillar")

· Nov. 1: Stephen King, horror author of more than 40 novels and 200 short stories.

Information: www.lectures.org or call 206-621-2230.

Comments

• So, SK finally comes to my neck of the woods!  I hope the price is reasonable.  I went to the site linked to above and it said tickets go on sale June 19.  Couldn't come up with a better day than accident anniversary #7? :-?  Well, anyway, I'm glad he's coming to the Emerald City!
  • I've never heard it called the Emerald City before. What's the history behind that?
  • I can't really remember many details, but some years ago a contest was run--I forget by who--to give Seattle a nickname. I believe the winner--"the Emerald City"--was submitted by a Californian in honor of the natural beauty of the area--the green of the trees, you understand. I don't think there was any Wizard of Oz reference intended.
  • I was wondering if there was some connection to the Emerald Isle.
  • I was wondering if there was some connection to the Emerald Isle.

Not that I know of.
  • So tickets are on sale now. They're not available online; you have to call the ticket office at 206-621-2230 for them. Prices: $60 for "Patron", $35 for the main floor and $25 for the balcony, where I'll be. . .somewhere. The venue seats, if I read things right, 2500, so there's a lot of space.
  • I got my ticket yesterday morning (a Patron ticket) so hopefully I'll see you there!
  • I love Frank McCourt!!!