Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

King, Rowling, Irving read for charity

edited May 2006 in General news
J. K. Rowling will be in New York City this August for a charity reading. Renowned writer Stephen King, who is a well known fan of the Harry Potter books, had asked her to do the reading to help support his new charity, Haven Foundation. This program helps performing artists who have suffered from illnesses or debilitating accidents that prevent them from working.

"I loved the stuff that she does, and I thought if we had her, we could actually make a huge amount of money for charities," Mr. King said in an interview. "I thought that we could actually fill a really, really large venue." (Radio City seats close to 6,000 people. )

In a statement Ms. Rowling said: "Stephen pretended to be in suspense about my answer, but frankly, this was easily one of the most enticing propositions ever put to me in an envelope."

The event will also help support Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières, an international program that brings medical aid to disaster areas.

Tickets cost from $12.50 to $100 apiece. There will also be $1,000 family packages that include four orchestra seats and a signed book from each of the authors, including John Irving, who will also be in attendance.

Comments

• Harry Potter may not be making another appearance yet, but his creator, J. K. Rowling, will be coming to New York in August, when she joins Stephen King and John Irving at a charity reading at Radio City Music Hall. It will be Ms. Rowling's first visit to the United States in six years.

The writers will raise money for the Haven Foundation, Mr. King's newly founded charity to help performing artists who have suffered illnesses or debilitating accidents that prevent them from working, and for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières, an international medical group that brings emergency aid to people in disaster zones.

Tickets will range from $12.50 to $100 apiece, with $1,000 family packages including four orchestra seats and a signed book from each of the authors. All proceeds will go to the charities. Simon & Schuster and Scholastic are sponsoring the event.

Ms. Rowling, who last visited the United States in 2000, was wooed by Mr. King, a fan of the Potter series. The two have never met, though after Mr. King's 1999 car accident, Ms. Rowling sent him a copy of one of her books. Last October he wrote her a letter asking her to come and read.

Mr. King said he wanted to raise money for artists who suffered from illness or accidents after getting involved with fund-raising efforts for Frank Muller, a well-known audiobook reader who was in a debilitating accident in 2001. Mr. King also worked with Mr. Irving when Mr. Irving organized a series of readings to raise money for Andre Dubus, the short-story writer. Mr. Dubus, who died in 1999, was hit by a car in 1986 while helping a fallen motorcyclist.

In a statement Mr. Irving said he was looking forward to meeting Ms. Rowling, whom he credited with "introducing an entire generation of readers to long, complicated plotted novels."
  • An evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp

A message from Stephen:

I am excited to announce that on the evenings of August 1st and 2nd, I will be reading with the creators of Potter and Garp at Radio City Music Hall. This came about because two good people agreed with me that it might be possible to do one gigantic reading to benefit two charities.

One is Doctors Without Borders, an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care in more than 70 countries, and the other is The Haven Foundation, a charity that supports writers and artists who can no longer support themselves because of accidents or illness.

We are doing this at Radio City Music Hall because it is the biggest, brightest venue we could find and we are hoping we can fill it on both nights. We hope to see you there--this is going to be very cool!

- Stephen
  • What a wonderful idea - and a great cause.

I'd love to go - especially since these are three of my favourite authors of all time, and aug 2 is my birthday - but living on the West Coast makes it a bit difficult.

Maybe they'll release an audio CD of the evening like they did with the Wavedancer Benefit ...

HBJ
  • There's a good possibility they'll do an audio or video.

If you're on the west coast, you might get to see him in November, as he's doing a tour out there.
  • From The Leaky Cauldron, a Harry Potter fansite:

Possible Web Broadcast of JKR Charity Reading

Posted by: Sue - May 10, 2006, 4:37 pm

There is a possibility that the upcoming charity reading by authors J.K.Rowling, Stephen King, and John Irving may be broadcast on the web. On Stephen King's official message board today, the question about a possible broadcast on the web for those who could not obtain tickets nor attend the event was raised, and the response was "That’s currently being discussed but final arrangements have not yet been worked out." So while this is all very early in the going, the possibility is there, however nothing has yet been decided.

And from a later post at the same site:

More JKR Reading Ticket Info; Age Requirement for Children

Posted by: Sue - May 11, 2006, 9:55 am

We have some additional important information about the tickets for the upcoming JKR, Stephen King, and John Irving charity reading event in August. If you are considering taking your children to this event, according to the event FAQ, they "must be 8 years of age or older, no exceptions." Also, there will be "surprise guests; and an audience question and answer session. Ticket buyers will have the opportunity to submit a question for the authors via email." There is also a limited amount of VIP $1,000 "Family Packages" available that will get you four premium orchestra seats, and a set of three signed books- one from each author. You can order tickets online via Ticketmaster starting at 10am. Here are some prices for those who are considering attending:

Prime Orchestra: $100.00

Side/Rear Orchestra: $75.00

First Mezzanine (Front): $100.00

First Mezzanine (Rear): $50.00

Second Mezzanine: $25.00

Third Mezzanine: $12.50

(Radio City and Ticketmaster surcharges will be applied)

• I am so still trying to make this event! I almost don't care if I have to sit in nosebleed section. I just really really really want to be there! :)
  • From the Leaky Cauldron (again):

Press Conference with JKR in New York August 1

As part of the "Evening with Harry, Carrie, and Garp" event, author J.K.Rowling, along with Stephen King and John Irving, will hold a press conference Tuesday, August 1 at 10am at Radio City Music Hall.
  • AN EVENING WITH HARRY, CARRIE & GARP

Bid on a pair of orchestra seats & a set of 3 signed books! J.K. Rowling, Stephen King & John Irving

Event Details

Literary legends J.K. Rowling, Stephen King and John Irving will read selections from their own works (with the help of a few special guests,) live from the great stage of Radio City Music Hall. An audience question and answer session will follow. All ticket buyers will have the opportunity to submit a question for the authors via email. The evening will benefit The Haven Foundation and Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres.

The Haven Foundation was created by Stephen King to help freelance performing artists whose accidents or illnesses have left them uninsured and unable to work.

Doctors Without Borders/ Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care in more than 70 countries.

Click the link to go to the auction now.
  • It may change, but I believe he will be reading from The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon for the event and that is also the title of the book he will be pre-signing for sale. Each author has agreed to pre-sign 500 books; 250 for each night.
  • I got tickets!! WOO HOO Row NN for the first night!! Bev, are you going to join Me, Dolan and Wizard for dinner?

And I want to know how to get one of the only 250 copies that are going to be for sale. I will be all the way up the front of the auditoruim :(

I wonder when they will sell them??
  • Bev, are you going to join Me, Dolan and Wizard for dinner?

I can't say for sure right yet. I'm bringing my family with me, and we are still working out our schedule. I'll keep that in mind, though.
  • Sweet, Keep in touch :D Wizard is recommending Italian!! YUMMY!!
  • Wow, what an event to see! I saw SK twice in about a month so I shouldn't have a right be too jealous, but I still am. ;)
  • So, have you decided about dinner? I don't remember if I asked you at Necon? David recommended some Italian place right around the corner from there.

Let me know.

I am going in early and meeting David at his office. Then the two of us will meet Kenny. We can make reservations if you and the gang want to join us.

Karen
  • Thanks, but our dinner plans are already in place. We're also going to see Spamalot on Sunday and do the touristy stuff the rest of the time.
  • that sounds like fun! Have a good time and maybe we will see you there :D
  • Hello?  Anyone here?   :)

The readings are of course tonight and tomorrow, and to help promote them there was a news conference.  Find a report of it at the link below.  (It's mostly about Rowling, but still...)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060801/en_nm/rowling_dc;_ylt=AgCHtEAXkkVrlCSkr.QGuONb.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

To everyone who's going:  Have fun!
  • There was a nice selection of surprise guest hosts:

Whoopi Goldberg -- got the ball rolling

Kathy Bates -- introduced King

Andre Braugher -- introduced Irving

Jon Stewart -- introduced Rowling

I'll write more later when I get caught up.
  • the show was AWSOME!!!! Everyone was incredable! John made me laughed until I cried! That voice that he used for Owen!!! ;D

Here's a couple of pics.....if I can figure out how to get them on here.....

Shhhhhh, we weren't supposed to have cameras in there!! LOL

I also got to go to ground zero this morning and it was very moving. :'(
  • Another good write-up. Rowling was proud of her shoes!

By the way, King told us about an idea for a story he'd had recently.
  • Could you write something more or are you not allowed to?  ;)
  • Well, it's one of those idea germs that could end up as something completely different when it gets written. He said he had a flash about a character meeting a woman he or she hasn't seen in 20 years and she looks EXACTLY THE SAME as she used to look back then, except she's gotten a lot larger (he wasn't specific about this. He didn't say fat or tall, just larger). His mind is cogitating over what might give rise to such a thing.