Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

AMH & Dead Zone season five

edited June 2006 in General news
Anthony Michael Hall, who played the awkward geek in '80s teen movies "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club," says he doesn't try to forget his early career.

"To be part of some films that people have grown up with — it's amazing," the 38-year-old Hall told reporters recently, according to AP Radio. "I'm often stunned by it. It's actually very humbling."

More than 20 years later, Hall has gone from geek to reluctant psychic as the star of USA's "The Dead Zone." The series' fifth season starts Sunday (10 p.m. EDT).

He said the show cuts across many genres, even romantic comedy. "I mean, it's sci-fi to some, to others it's a supernatural drama or thriller," he said.

Hall said he's matured as an actor on "The Dead Zone," and appreciates connecting to a new group of fans. An elderly woman grabbed him once and said, "`I don't know if I should touch you, but I had to touch you,'" he recalled, laughing.

"I really get a lot of joy out of that."

Comments

• Hall's hoping viewers stay in the 'Zone'

Anthony Michael Hall returns Sunday (9 p.m. on USA) for a fifth season as "The Dead Zone's" psychic good Samaritan Johnny Smith.

And if he has his way, he'll continue to see the dead and in-danger-of-being-dead for many episodes to come. Rumors that this is the last season for "Dead Zone" have been rampant, leaving fans to wonder: Will season five foretell the end for the series based on Stephen King's apocalyptic novel?

"I don't know how that got [started]," said Hall. "The great thing about [television] is the audience is in control. Our numbers were up last year. I hope fans of the show will return [this season]. And hopefully we'll get more viewers."

A USA spokeswoman said a sixth season of "The Dead Zone" is still in the cards.

When last we saw Hall's Smith, he was desperately trying to find a way to save Miranda (Laura Harris), the girlfriend of evil Congressman Greg Stillson (Sean Patrick Flannery), from entering into un-holy matrimony with Stillson. Of course, Miranda, the daughter of a powerful senator, is but a pawn in Stillson's diabolical grab for world domination.

"The Dead Zone," said Hall, "is always about a moral and ethical dilemma. There's a spiritual quality to it. The writers created this whole mythology."

Hall, who is also a producer of "The Dead Zone," is probably best remembered as the skinny nerd in '80s teen comedies "The Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles" and "Weird Science." He also still holds the distinction of being the youngest troupe member of "Saturday Night Live," a gig he landed in 1985 when he was 17. Taller, older - he's 38 - and thicker now, Hall bears little resemblance to his Generation X pipsqueak wiseacre.

"I had a tremendous desire and persistence, the dumb persistence that you have to have in this business," said Hall.

He's written several scripts, directed episodes of "Dead Zone" and continues to produce independent films through his production company. His latest project, "Aftermath," is a murder mystery starring himself, Tony Danza, Frank Whaley, Elisabeth Rohm and Chris Penn in his last role before his death in February.

"Chris' performance [in "Aftermath"] reminds me of Jackie Gleason in 'The Hustler,'" said Hall. "We're dedicating the movie to him."

Hall produced "Aftermath" with his stepfather. They'll take it on the festival circuit in hopes of getting theatrical distribution. He's also written a comedy, "Life After Death in Las Vegas," which he hopes to direct. Wayne Newton is attached, he said. And Paris Hilton is interested.

"I look at the whole process differently now," he said. "When you're working on a small film, you really see who wants it."

It's the same work ethic he employs on "Dead Zone."

"I've treated every episode like a $50 million film," said Hall. "It's been a wonderful opportunity for me."

Hall's dedication to the show is good news for fans.

"I had an acting coach that told me without the audience you wouldn't have a job," he said. "I take that very seriously. It's really humbling."

• USA network, in partnership with Lionsgate, has made available episodes of The Dead Zone for purchase on iTunes. This is the first of myriad platforms being considered jointly for electronic sell-through opportunities around the hit series, which debuted its fifth season June 18. The show's season five episodes will be made available for purchase on iTunes the day after their broadcast premieres.
  • USA Network, in partnership with Lionsgate, the industry's leading independent film entertainment studio, have made available episodes of THE DEAD ZONE for purchase on iTunes. This is the first of myriad platforms being considered jointly for electronic sell-through opportunities around the hit series, which debuted its fifth season Sunday, June 18. The show's season five episodes will be made available for purchase on iTunes the day after their broadcast premieres. This announcement was made today by Jeff Wachtel, USA's executive vice president of original programming.

Season five of THE DEAD ZONE is currently on sale at USA Network's online iTunes store, located at http://www.usanetwork.com/series/thedeadzone/downloads/itunes/index.html. Each Monday, the episode that aired the previous night will be available for download. By the end of the summer, all 67 episodes from seasons one through four will be available on the site for fans to download.

"iTunes is the place to go to sample and download some of the best shows and best characters on television," said Wachtel. "THE DEAD ZONE has built such an extraordinary fan base over the past four years, we hope people will jump at the chance to catch some of their favorite episodes again."

"We've had tremendous success with THE DEAD ZONE on USA," said Kevin Beggs, Lionsgate's president of television programming and production, "and this exciting new partnership with iTunes is an important next step in expanding viewership for the series."

THE DEAD ZONE, based on characters from the Stephen King novel, stars Anthony Michael Hall ("61*," "The Pirates of Silicon Valley," "Sixteen Candles") as Johnny Smith. Season five of THE DEAD ZONE currently airs on USA Network on Sundays at 10:00PM ET/PT.

Also starring in the ensemble cast are Nicole deBoer ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"), Chris Bruno ("Another World"), John L. Adams ("Pacific Blue") and David Ogden Stiers ("Curse of the Jade Scorpion").

Produced by Lionsgate and CBS Paramount International Television in association with Piller Sqaured and The Segan Company, THE DEAD ZONE is a psychological thriller blending action, romance, the paranormal and a continuing quest for justice. In one of the most demanding roles on series television, Hall stars as Johnny Smith, a man injured in a near-fatal car crash, who emerges from a six-year-long coma with psychic powers that allow him to see into the past and future through visions triggered by touch.

For photos of THE DEAD ZONE, as well as all USA Network projects, please log on to the NBC Universal Media Village at http://www.nbcumv.com/.
  • "Dead Zone" will return for a 13-episode, sixth season in summer 2007, with star Anthony Michael Hall reprising his role as Johnny Smith, a man who awakens from a six-year coma with psychic powers.

The network aims to reinvent the series following the November death of co-creator/executive producer Michael Piller. We're looking at the sixth season as the first season," said Jeff Wachtel, executive vp original programming at USA.

He credited "Dead Zone's" rating resurgence since it was paired with "The 4400" last year for the network's decision to continue the show's run. USA has also acquired the cable rerun rights.
  • Reinvent? I think it is time they seriously considered concluding the overall Stillson/Apocalypse arc.
  • I agree. If they're going to end the season on a cliffhanger of a sort on that premise, I think it's time to start looking at a way of resolving it or else pushing the big red button.
  • The Dead Zone, the hit series starring Anthony Michael Hall, launches its sixth broadcast season on USA Network Sunday, June 17 at 10:00PM/9:00 Central. Based on characters from the Stephen King novel, the powerful drama returns with intriguing stories and surprising new twists.

As the new season opens, Johnny is enjoying the company of his extended family when he’s rocked by the first in a series of visions involving friends in peril. Walt is preoccupied with an investigation he’s been concealing from everyone including Sarah, who is now six months pregnant and very concerned about her husband’s secretive behavior. Greg Stillson, has been launched onto the national scene by Malcolm Janus and is now Vice President of the United States. Janus is trying to keep a tight rein on Stillson and Reverend Gene Purdy, who is chafing against the demands of the Stillson camp to continue promoting their agenda through his ministry.

Purdy’s open defiance of Janus’ orders leads to a shocking tragedy and dramatic changes in all aspects of Johnny’s life. His personal relationships are shaken up by unexpected circumstances, including the arrival of Anna Turner, a law enforcement officer who dismisses his psychic abilities. He is also faced with the prospect of losing his best friend Bruce, who is considering a job offer in another state. Most importantly, Johnny stops seeing visions of Armageddon when he shakes Stillson’s hand. Questioning his own abilities but still convinced that Stillson is dangerous, Johnny struggles to deal with an uncertain future.

Johnny’s visions are rendered through fast motion, slow motion and freeze frame photography, enhanced by cutting-edge digital effects and masterful editing. These powerful visual sequences propel the stories, adding mystery, suspense and emotional impact
  • We just got the specs and artwork for Season 5 of the Dead Zone. Starring Anthony Michael Hall and Nicole deBoer, the show has been a critical success since its debut. The Chicago Tribune hailed it as "…arguably the best television effort to be based on a Stephen King book and probably the best sci-fi show on the tube now” and Eclipse Magazine proclaimed it "…one of the best fantasy series on television.” "The Dead Zone” is a unique psychological thriller that combines a rich mix of action, the paranormal and a continuing quest for justice. Based on characters from the best-selling Stephen King novel, Hall stars as Johnny Smith, a man injured in a near-fatal car crash, which leaves him in a six-year coma. When he awakens, he realizes he has startling psychic abilities that enable him to see into the past and future through visions triggered by touch.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

Deleted scenes

Audio commentaries on episodes "Independence Day,” "Articles of Faith,” "Revelations,” and the season finale "The Hunting Party”

"A Day with JLA” featurette – a guided tour of a typical day on set with series star John L. Adams (Bruce Lewis)

"The Other Side of the Camera” featurette – explores the directorial debut of series stars Chris Bruno (Sheriff Walt Bannerman) and John L. Adams (Bruce Lewis) and their creative and exciting move to the director’s chairs for Season Five
  • I have totally lost this series since Season 4. Not sure if 5 even played up here in Canada yet. Look forward to the DVD set.
  • Everything changes this season on The Dead Zone

One moment took his love, took his hope, took his future.

Beginning this Sunday at 10/9C Johnny Smith takes it all back in the season six premiere.
  • Bev what were your general thoughts on Season 5? Still have not seen it yet!

• I think the series has remained consistently impressive throughout five years. I don't remember specific moments from S5--I just got the DVDs recently and plan to watch it again at some point--but I do recall enjoying the episodes as I saw them. They keep things mixed up and it looks like they're really planning to shake some things up in S6.
  • Good to hear. I look forward to seeing S5 with renewed interest. I agree too, that the writing on the show has been pretty good and they have struck a nice blend between introducing new elements and reintegrating book elements into the series.

Their plans for S6 sound ambitious.