Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Before the Fall -- Mark II

edited June 2006 in Short Stories
I substantially revised my story "Before the Fall," originally published in the little-seen anthology Royal Aspirations III, and submitted it as a "gently published" reprint to the anthology Into the Dream Lands. The story is about 50% longer than its original incarnation, and, I believe, a much stronger tale. Simian Publishing accepted the tale for their anthology today. I'll post more as I find out details.

Comments

• With stories by: Caitlin R. Kiernan, Christa Faust, Bev Vincent, Jane Gwaltney, James S. Dorr, Amy J. Benesch, Gary McMahon, Gill Ainsworth, Larisa Walk, Louise Bohmer, Alison Campbell-Wise, and Jason Andrew

• Received word today that Into the Dreamlands will be published in January 2007.
  • I received the page proofs for Into the Dreamlands today. More proof-reading!
  • That is some august company to be with, especially Kiernan - very talented writer.
  • Kiernan and Faust, too, who has done some great stuff over the years alone and with Poppy Z. Brite. It looks like a nice little collection.
  • Because of a sizing error discovered during production, publication date for this anthology will be pushed back to the first week of May.
  • Now available for preorder at [link=shocklines.stores.yahoo.net/indrbbyjaana.html]Shocklines[/link]
  • I received my contributor copy today. Book looks nice! I look forward to reading the other stories.
  • Horror World review Review by Joe Kroeger

Dreams are one those widely understood and imaginatively used elements of horror fiction that adds an atmospheric chill to any well-crafted story. Fully understanding the magic that dreams can wield within fiction, Jason Andrew and Michael Dyer have brought together twelve spectacular and horrifying tales from some of the freshest voices in the horror community to create one of the better anthologies to be published this year. Into The Dreamlands is an outstanding collection stuffed full of stories that are sure to keep the reader awake well into the night.

So Runs The World Away by Caitlin R. Keirnan is the perfect opening story for this collection with the surreal quality of the writing and highly imaginative characters that seem pulled straight from the most bizarre of dreams. Going from Keirnan's disturbing vision straight into the magical fairy tale feel of The Book Of Dreams by Louise Bohmer perfectly sets the mood for the other stories yet to come.

Before The Fall by Bev Vincent and Dreams, Wholesale by A.C. Wise were the two stories that were the most fun to read of the collection. Bev Vincent spins a richly developed tale of a man plagued by horrifically vivid dreams of falling that reads like a classic Twilight Zone episode. A.C. Wise tells a humorous tale of insomnia, dreams and insanity that will have you rereading the story to make sure you didn't miss any of the brilliant aspects of this expertly written piece of fiction.

Other stories, like the expertly plotted Boyfriend.Com by Amy J.Benesch or the haunting vision of Roadkill by Christa Faust, stuck in my mind above the rest with their beautifully written prose well thought out ideas. However, the one story that truly rose above the rest with its stunning prose and exceptionally original writing style was Wolf Dreams by Gary McMahon. McMahon writes an amazing story about a comic book writer who leaves behind a fabled sketch that is told to have the power to lead an individual into the "Dream Quarter". With rich imagery and an ending that is sure to stick in your mind long after you have read the other stories, Wolf Dreams is well worth the price of admission.

Even though not every story came across as a perfect fit for this anthology, Into The Dreamlands edited by Jason Andrew and Michael Dyer was none-the-less a truly enjoyable reading experience that I would highly recommend to anyone.
  • Excellent! Must be most gratifying.

You must be itching to get a novel out there!
  • Sure am -- my agent's sending one around, but no bites yet.
  • Its only a matter of time at this point!
  • Bev Vincent captures the thinning line between dreams and reality, the line that gets thinner with every interrupted dream or sleep cycle. In "Before the Fall" Bev masterfully captures the nightmare and lets you freefall into the madness of the nightmare and the character's frustration and confusion.

>>> Source
  • I have been a long time fan of Bev Vincent, ever since I read one of his stories on another website called, “A harrowing [sic] obsession”. That isn’t in this collection but if you ever come across it, it will stick with you every time you hear the words “trick or treat” for sure. Anyway, “Before the fall” by Bev Vincent is a teetering tale that is a mish-mash of dreams strung together on paper. Eerie and often times off-balance, Bev leads us through what fear really is: am I dreaming? Or is this for real? You know that old mantra, “It’s only a dream. It’s only a dream...” Yeah. Before the fall captures that quite skillfully.

>>> Source