Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Green Mile Special Edition DVD

edited August 2006 in General news
The Green Mile recounts the emotional and uplifting story of Paul Edgecomb (Hanks), a Southern prison Death Row guard, who develops an unusual and profound relationship with John Coffey (Duncan), a massive black man convicted of brutally killing a pair of nine-year-old sisters. Beyond his simple, naive nature and a deathly fear of the dark, Coffey seems to possess a prodigious, supernatural gift, which leads Edgecomb to question whether Coffey was truly guilty of his crime. As the story unfolds, Paul Edgecomb learns that sometimes, miracles happen in the most unexpected places.

On November 14, Warner Home Video will release The Green Mile: Special Edition, a two-disc DVD with extensive new bonus materials including Miracles and Mystery: Creating The Green Mile A 6-Part Documentary Gallery featuring the first onscreen DVD bonus interview with two-time Academy Award®-winner Tom Hanks.

The new special features also include commentary by writer/director Frank Darabont, additional scenes, makeup and screen tests. Walking the Mile: The Making of the Green Mile, introduced in the 2000 DVD debut, is also included. The two-disc DVD The Green Mile: Special Edition will be available for $20.97 SRP.

Said director Frank Darabont: "I want to thank and acknowledge the fine folks at Warner Home Video for their incredible support in putting together this special edition DVD of The Green Mile. I wanted to put the "special" into this special edition, which meant creating a wide spectrum of ambitious documentary materials...as well as my setting a record for the amount of time spent recording a commentary track! Warner's patience and enthusiasm never waned for a moment throughout this process; their determination to do the job right and give the fans of the film something truly special easily matched mine. Their dedication and willingness made the whole thing possible; I doubt many studios would have given me as much unconditional support as they did. Bless their hearts-they love the film, and their care and effort show in the final result."

Hailed as one of the year's best pictures by more than 50 top critics across the country and nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Picture, The Green Mile is a big-screen adaptation of Stephen King's 1996 best-selling serialized novel which grossed more than $280 million worldwide at the box office and became even more popular when it moved to video and DVD.

The stellar cast of The Green Mile includes Tom Hanks (The Da Vinci Code, Saving Private Ryan, Philadelphia), Michael Clarke Duncan (Sin City, Armageddon) in his Academy Award-nominated role, David Morse (Dreamer, The Negotiator), Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump), Bonnie Hunt (Cheaper By The Dozen 2, Return to Me) and James Cromwell ("Six Feet Under," L.A. Confidential).

Award-winning filmmaker Frank Darabont returned to the director's chair for the first time in five years to bring The Green Mile: Special Edition, his second King adaptation, to the screen. His directorial debut, The Shawshank Redemption, was nominated for seven Academy Awards® including Best Picture. Written by Frank Darabont from the novel by Stephen King, The Green Mile was produced by David Valdes.

Disc One DVD Features:

- Commentary by Writer/Director Frank Darabont

- Two Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Writer/Director Frank Darabont

- Tom Hanks Makeup Tests

- Michael Clarke Duncan Screen Test

- The Teaser Trailer: A Case Study

- Theatrical Trailers

Disc Two DVD Features:

- Commentary by Writer/Director Frank Darabont

- Walking the Mile: The Making of The Green Mile Documentary

- Miracles and Mystery: Creating The Green Mile: A 6-Part Documentary Gallery

- Stephen King: Storyteller

- The Art of Adaptation

- Acting on the Mile

- Designing the Mile

- The Magic of the Mile

- The Tail of Mr. Jingles

Technical Specs

- Run Time: 189 minutes

- Rated: R

- Languages: English & Français (Dubbed in Quebec)

- Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

Comments

• I hope the King feature has some meat to it. I am also wondering about the Darabont commentary on the both discs. Does this mean the movie is split over two discs?
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: I hope the King feature has some meat to it.  I am also wondering about the Darabont commentary on the both discs.  Does this mean the movie is split over two discs?

Sounds like it might be, since it's a long film and they have documentaries on disk one.
  • Strange setup.  The original release was one disc and is actually a very good transfer.  Normally a two disc release has the movie on one disc and most if not all the extras on the second.
  • After his first foray into turning a Stephen King prison novel into a film, director Frank Darabont waited five years -- and did it again. And while the first effort, "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994), was a box-office bomb, the second, "The Green Mile," proved an enormous (Oscar-nominated) success thanks in no small measure to a cast led by Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan.

"Green Mile" holds a special place in Darabont's heart -- the filmmaker took almost 10 years to release the "perfect" special edition, two-disc set (Warner Home Video). He spoke to the Sun-Times about the film.

Q. Is this version your director's cut?

A. I didn't change a frame [of the original]. I had the great pleasure of having my "director's cut" of the film released the first time because I had final say. It's the extras -- the documentaries -- that I really wanted to take my time with. As the filmmaker, I want to do that job right. If it's done right and you put some love into it, it can be tremendously worth the wait.

Q. You like to take your time releasing your films on DVD.

A. It took me 10 years to get "Shawshank" out and this has almost taken that long. Most special editions come out the same time the original release does.

Q. You were also very lucky to get Michael Clarke Duncan.

A. He was the real blessing of that movie. Certainly Tom and the entire cast were, but the trickiest role was always going to be casting big John Coffey. I knew going in that if I didn't find the right actor to pull that off, I was pretty much screwed because the movie wouldn't work.

Q. You made his character look so much larger than life.

A. He's 6-foot-5, but we "cheated" any way we could to make him appear about 7-foot tall. [Laughs] An enormous amount of math and effort went into creating that illusion on the screen. In a few scenes, I cast doubles for Tom and the other actors who were a foot shorter than the real guys so Coffey would tower over them. I had the electric chair built to seven-eighths scale of the original we had to make him appear bigger.

Q. "Shawshank Redemption" didn't quite turn out to be a box-office hit for you, though it went on to cult status on home video. Was it that darn title?

A. [Laughing] Get some "Hooked on Phonics." It's not that hard to sound out the word. I honestly didn't think it was the title. On the surface, the story was not an easy sell. It's set in prison, there's no kick-a-- action. I think people just thought it would be a bummer. People who'd never read the book didn't think it would make you feel good.

-- Miriam Di Nunzio
  • I was lucky enough to get the 10th Anniv Shawshank with the soundtrack CD and book before it was pulled because of rights issues.

I wonder if there will be more than one configuration of the Green Mile 10th Anniv available?
  • I finally got around to picking up the two disc SE of The Green Mile. Lots of great extras and a superb audio commentary by Darabont. Plus I finally found out how they made Mr. Jingles roll the spool!

The movie is split over two discs and the extra headroom allows for a more defined and natural look to the film. The audio sounds the same.

A worthy double dip.

• When I was in Shreveport a couple of months ago to visit The Mist set, I met the videographer responsible for most of the behind-the-scenes footage -- a really terrific guy.
  • Excellent - looking forward to seeing what he has in store for The Mist.