Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

April '04

Well, of course, most of the news for the month so far (16 hours old) is the limited edition of The Road to the Dark Tower announcement from Cemetery Dance.

I've been sitting on this news for nearly a year as it worked its way through the various processes required to make it a reality. I have a clear memory of sitting in the back seat of a car at NECON last July with author Doug Clegg and Shocklines maven Matt Schwartz up front asking me if there was going to be a limited edition and me trying to be as vague as possible without lying. And then again last November, sitting next to the folks from Donald M. Grant with Rich from CD sitting right across the table from me, fielding KelLee's inquiries about a limited edition. How to be vague in 10 easy steps!

I've been a big fan of CD for more years than I can remember and it was a great honor to be invited aboard the magazine staff a few years back. Their books have been consistently excellent and I have a big collection of CD Pub volumes on my shelves. I'm thrilled that, before the year is out, I'll be adding my own book to those shelves in a luxurious CD edition.

Can we all say “surreal experience?” Good -- I knew we could!

And CD being the great gang that they are are offering some terrific goodies to people who order early.

This is all so exciting. Whatever can tomorrow bring?

Author: CrinVA

Your teasing us Bev! ~0

Author: Lin242

Surreal experience. I feel better already.

I just cannot wait to get the book and the goodies. :) Then of course there are still DTII, III and IV to buy to complete what's available thus far.... *sigh* :)

Lin

Author: Bev Vincent

Your teasing us Bev! ~0

Originally posted by CRinVA

Your teasing us Bev! ~0

No, this was purely rhetorical. Teasing myself, more like!

Bev, I thought it may be a good idea for you to take this small quiz. :) Everyone can join in too. It's very small.

http://quizilla.com/users/thjorska/quizzes/How%20Famous%20Will%20You%20Be%3F/

It's always good to know these things ahead of time. :)

Author: CRinVA

Gee Lin, I took your little quiz and it says

!@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$

You're destined for Monotony
No fame for you, you're happy
being totally unknown by the
world. In fact, fame would
probably be too much for you
and make your head explode!

So, from now on I better start wearing a hat to keep all
that gray matter from getting out!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't feel bad, Bob -- I got the same thing!

Me Too! :) I think we're deluding ourselves about our real feelings about fame.

But, it's fitting given the discussion of exploding heads of late.... ~0

Lin :)

Author: DTUK

You are destined for CULT STATUS
Though you'll be known to a select group of people, they will most certainly idolise you, and with their help you might just make it big.

Notice the capital letters on Cult Status - it's what the website said so :p It is true and a fact that I will be a cult leader with millions following in my wake. Sorry I can't post here anymore but because this website said I'm going to be big, it's time to go and open a commune :D :D :D

Actually, seriously it's not far off on who I really am. I am known within a small group of people for what I do; not sure about the idolising but I seem to get invited out alot to social functions, and they've already offered me help to get on my feet when I become a holistic therapist and they all say I am very good at that and will be very big in this area.

So - likes the Cult Status :)

Fun quiz, Lin :)

There's been little to report here lately, but I have a big announcement:

Amazon is now taking orders!

I discovered this by accident while looking something else up. The list price is $14.95 but you can get it from Amazon for $10.47. They don't have many details yet, not even the cover art, but this is terribly exciting!

Bev: This is VERY VERY exciting news :) not long now at all if Amazon are starting to list it :)

The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus...if I didn't know what that meant I may be forgiven for thinking it had something to do with a medical examination ~0 !!!

But we know better :)

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

I also have an ISBN: 0451213041

I put a one-click purchase button on my The Road to the Dark Tower page for your shopping convenience!

Do I detect a smile so wide that it almost hurts :D

This is very cool news. So where does it rank as compared to being notified that your story will be included in Borderlands 5 right up there with a new King story:?

I am not sure which would give me goosbumps more ~0

Bravo! :)

Hard to compare -- this is just another cog in a great big surreal wheel!

This one is big though -- even bigger than Amazon.

My new editor, Rose, sent me a package without telling me it was coming, so I had no idea what to expect inside it. It was too flat to be a galley, and too early by at least a month. It is, however, a “flat” -- the actual living, breathing cover of my book with no pages within. It looks remarkable. Breathtaking.

What I never knew from the graphic was that it is a “relief” cover. You can feel the four little brads at the corner of the nameplate sorta device that has the book title in it and the keyhole with the gun and rose is recessed. The book title and subtitle are both raised. I'm running my finger over them right this very minute. Holy moly.

But wait! There's more!

The second thing in the package is the NAL fall catalog of trade paperbacks and hardcovers. The Road to the Dark Tower gets a full page near the front of the catalog (which is itself a substantial trade paperback!) on page 15 out of 80. If you've seen the scans Lilja posted recently with info about DT7, that's what this is like. It lists the marketing campaign plans which include a national radio interview campaign, print features, online promotion and some of those display stand racks that hold six or 12 copies of the book. My publisher is really getting behind this book.

This is so awesome!

:)

Bev, I don't think this is all surreal. It is Ka!

I think its just great that we are part of your KaTet as we follow the beam on The Road to the Dark Tower and that we get to share just a bit in your success, your excitement, your amazement, your awe as you pave The Road to the Dark Tower for us!

I'll do my best not to drop any of you off a bridge!

Another datum for me to keep track of! As you may have noticed from my “we set a record” thread, I have this thing about numbers. It's probably the closest part of my personality to being obsessive-compulsive. I keep track of some numbers for no good reason. When I workout, I watch my calories/minute rate. When I used to bike I fixated on average miles per hour. When I write, I count words. On this board, I count simultaneous users.

As of a few minutes ago, The Road to the Dark Tower's Amazon.com Sales Rank is 9,925.

Now, what the Amazon Sales Rank really means is the subject of much discussion. It is a fairly nebulous quantity. Song of Susannah, for example, is currently 86. Here's a link that attempts to explain it. I'm heartily encouraged that I've slipped quickly into that lower-than-10,000 category but that's just me!

Books with sales ranks between 1 and 10,000 are re-ranked every hour. The rank depends both on how many books sold the previous hour relative to all the other books on Amazon, plus the recent sales trajectory. A book that holds steady in this range is usually considered commercially viable by trade publishers.

Author: newinside

I would help your rating there by ordering, but I already did with C/D!

Author: Blaine

Hi Bev,
    of course I'll book a copy of TRTTDT in original language but have you any news for the italian edition? %)

ditto what new said!

But this does sound like a number worth tracking and ”commercially viable” sounds very good!

Originally posted by Blaine
    of course I'll book a copy of TRTTDT in original language but have you any news for the italian edition? %)

I don't think they have the manuscript yet to begin the translation, though that process is in the works. We had to wait for the copyedits to be implemented. My agent then planned to get an electronic copy to send them so work could begin. I know they are very eager to get it out asap.
  • Author: Lin242

:~ I don't know how I missed all these snips of good news yesterday -- it was working on those numbers! :) I'm like you Bev, I like number, but not accounting.

This is all just unreal isn't it?? Bev, you just must be beside yourself. I'm very happy to be able to share in a little of your excitement. Given that The Wastelands is my fave book, your promise to not try and drop anyone off of a bridge is good news! :D

Continued good fortune!

Way to go Bev and as said before, I would gladly help out but due to CD's excellent sales technique over your book, sadly amazon has lost a copy from this customer :D

An excellent rating and one with which I am sure will get an awful lot better very quickly :)

I tracked down the e-mail address for Steve Stone, the illustrator who did the cover art, and sent him a thank you note for his contribution. I got a nice answer back from him last night saying that he appreciated the fact that I went to the trouble to pass on my comments and that he's looking forward to reading the book, too.

He's the guy who also did the cool cover art for the recent Viking/Plume/NAL reissues of DT1-4, by the way.

The Viking artwork was exqusite and by far my favourite out of the DT series. He has done your book a great justice with the artwork and am very impressed with it.

So a BIG thank you to Mr Stone :)

He's actually a compatriot of yours, from Wakefield in West Yorkshire. I have a link to his web site on my Road to the Dark Tower page.

Have just seen his galleries, very very good. I love the one with the helmet-visored man with the vehicle exploding reflected...a big WOW :)

Author: dan

Bev, had to laugh at your post- “I have a thing about numbers.” Me too, in fact once you posted your ISBN I totaled it up-- alas, it doesn't add up to 19 (your ISBN =21).

I'm off to go order at amazon... 46 days til June 8th!

Dan: How remiss of me not to even try to sum up my ISBN. My brand new six-digit PO box number adds up to 19, though!

I checked out the link for Steve Stone Bev - great stuff and he did a bunch of Shannara pics - I am also a huge Terry Brooks fan!

He's done a lot of impressive covers. I like the new Shannara pics. I'm thrilled that NAL got such a great artist to work on my book. It's another way they are telling me how confident they are in the book.

It sure appears as if all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting together nicely! When I finally get my hands on a copy from CD PUbs it will be like holding something that I already have great knowledge of! It comes out in October - right?

Bev:

I just checked Amazon.co.uk and it also now has your Road to the Dark Tower on its site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587671042/qid%3D1082668952/026-0960148-9401220

Yes, I noticed that a few days ago -- it's the Cemetery Dance limited edition, though, and not the trade paperback.

Originally posted by CRinVA
    It sure appears as if all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting together nicely! When I finally get my hands on a copy from CD PUbs it will be like holding something that I already have great knowledge of! It comes out in October - right?

In an ideal world, the CD edition will be published simultaneously with the NAL trade paperback in October.

Bev, just a technical question here for a sec: how do you get the quote to say : “originally quoted by...”... I don't know how to do that?

I agree Bob, I am looking forward just as much to Bev's book as I am to DT 6 and 7, if not moreso because there is some shared knowledge and history of the journey.

Oh, and I added up the ISBN as soon as I saw it too. :~

Lin: for the “Originally posted/quoted by...”

I use the QUOTE button then after that I use the ITALIC button and then just type in:

Originally posted by Lin242

Bev, just a technical question here for a sec: how do you get the quote to say : “originally quoted by...”... I don't know how to do that?

Like so :)

Lin: Just click on the Quote button above the post you want to respond to and it all happens automatically. You get put into “respond” mode and the text is brought in and quoted.

Has just learnt something today - thanks Bev, I didn't know you could do that :)
  • Author: Bev Vincent

I had an e-mail from a guy in France who did his Ph. D. thesis on Stephen King. He's very eager to see The Road to the Dark Tower published in French, is willing to work on the translation and thinks he may have an interested publisher. I forwarded the information on to my agent. I know my agent has already sent out queries to a number of international publishers and agents, so we may already have France covered, but if not, here's an interesting Plan B.

Author: Old Darth

Congrats Bev. Hope it turns into something solid.

Another fan :)

I find these things to be a lot more respectful and true when it is a fan that wants to help out :)

Thank you both Dukky and Bev for your input on the technical question, I am still finding my way around most things EXCEPT talking. :D

That's awesome news about France! Vive le France! :D Bev, I would think your book will have far-reaching tentacles -- who among those who have read The Dark Tower series would NOT want to unravel some of it's darkest mysteries? It's all very exciting for you.

Author: newinside

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

I had an e-mail from a guy in France who did his Ph. D. thesis on Stephen King. He's very eager to see The Road to the Dark Tower published in French, is willing to work on the translation and thinks he may have an interested publisher. I forwarded the information on to my agent. I know my agent has already sent out queries to a number of international publishers and agents, so we may already have France covered, but if not, here's an interesting Plan B.

It makes me wonder about how many theses (I hope that is something close to the plural of thesis) have been written about King's books/writings/career. It might be interesting to see a few of them.

A little bit of tumult going on in my literary life right this moment. I won't go into it now pending new information next week. It's funny how you can get a lot of news all at once, some of it inspiring, some of it distressing and you're left with these conflicted emotions. The news won't impact The Road to the Dark Tower from NAL or CD, though. Stay tuned next week when I'll feel freer to discuss this once I've gathered more information.

How's that for a mystery to set you on for the weekend?

Well, this is a typical Bev Vincent post - I'm gonna be patient this time! - I promise! :D

Okay, this is odd, not what Bev said, but that I just replied and I had to log in again and lost it all. ? Maybe there is still a problem with the server at my end, I've had all kinds of problems.

Bev, a little bit of tumult is okay, but not a lot. I hope all is okay, and will await further news from you. But it won't be easy. ;) Just kidding.

Lin

I think I'm the poster boy for everything wonky that can happen in a literary career!

You said it yourself, you have lost no posts OR posters. I'm sure this includes poster boys also. :) Just think, you have so much career left to go... how much wonkier CAN it get? ~0

Lin

Author: rmartirano

Stretching the numbers - 0-451-21304-1

This is the best I can come up with, take it or leave it:

Bev's book is being published by NAL, which also publishes Signet, Onyx, Roc, Caliber, and a host of other lines. All NAL books are grouped under the “0-451-” ISBN. Go pick up your older mass market King books, you'll notice the same numerical header. On the other end of the string, the last digit has some uses, but internally a book could be found in the system without it, leaving the middle chuck as the key ID tag - 21304.

2+13+04 does in fact equal 19.

That said, it still feels like cheating not looking at the whole string, therefore:

0-451-21304-1 = 0 (4+5+1)(2+1+3+0+4)- 1; 0(10)(10)-1; Add the 2 middle pieces together and finish off the equation: 20 - 1= 19.

I'm sure tax day accountants and Washington officials have done fuzzier math, but if watches and clocks break down near the tower, my guess is that calculators and adding machines won't hold up much better.

Thanks Ron -- I knew there was a 19 or two in there somewhere.

Something else I saw recently was a 19, but it evades me at the moment. Once you start looking for it, it's everywhere.

Nozz-a-la's on me for everyone!

So Bev have your literary entanglements been smoothed out? Or are you still in the thick of things?

Still waiting on third and fourth parties to get themselves resolved. Nothing new to report quite yet.
  • Author: Thjorska

Technically, it's MY little quiz.

Hey Bev - anything new to report? How's things looking?

Originally posted by Thjorska

Technically, it's MY little quiz.

Thjorska, :), I'm glad I didn't pass it off as MINE. But we had fun with it, I took a different one on another SK board. Are you an SK fan? OR, did I do something horribly wrong by linking one of your fun quizzes? :~

Glad to meet you.

Lin

Author: Thjorska

Every so often, when really bored, I google for my name. It's a good name, never turns up someone who's pretending to be me, but it's occasionally interesting what comes up. Last time I found out that a parody of The Night Before Christmas I had written had been archived somewhere.

The url to that quiz, if you note, contains my name and hence turned up. Sorry for any results that none of you wanted, but, well, it's only a quiz and is fairly inaccurate.

As for being a SK fan.. Well, his work is good and I like the films, so I guess I am, sorta. I have, unfortunately, missed the first few episodes of Kingdom Hospital, which I had been intending to watch. Is it any good, if you've seen it?

Linking to one of my quizzes isn't wrong - they're certainly not private, and I'm glad that people take them... although it does make me a teensy bit grumpy to see that quizzes entitled “<3 wats ur wican name <3” can get ten thousand hits in their first week... *ahem*, straying off topic there, sorry.

But, hey, glad to meet you too.

Hi again, thanks for letting me know that I won't be jumped by secret agents and thrown in solitary for a sharing violation. :) Don't apologize for the outcome.. it was all in good fun.

As for being a SK fan.. Well, his work is good and I like the films, so I guess I am, sorta.

:) Better than not at all.

I have, unfortunately, missed the first few episodes of Kingdom Hospital, which I had been intending to watch. Is it any good, if you've seen it?

Yes, I have seen every episode and have very much enjoyed it. I'm just sorry there has been a long hiatus while we await the next episode on June 24th. I understand that the episodes will be released on dvd later, so all is not lost if you haven't seen them all.

I'm not sure if you're interested, but we talk about any number of things in the Free For All portion Bev set up for that purpose. If you get bored, you can drop by there. It's quiet today because of the holiday, but it's usually pretty busy!

Author: Thjorska

I'm not sure if you're interested, but we talk about any number of things in the Free For All portion Bev set up for that purpose. If you get bored, you can drop by there. It's quiet today because of the holiday, but it's usually pretty busy!

Ah, I'm not usually the forum type, but I may turn up every now and again to interject with wit and/or stupidity. Mostly stupidity, frankly.

Ah, I'm not usually the forum type, but I may turn up every now and again to interject with wit and/or stupidity. Mostly stupidity, frankly.

We'll be the judge of that. ;) I tend to interject with spam. It's just what I do.

At the least, can you please tell me where your avatar is from? That's adorable, in a freakish, Yoda kind of way. :D

Lin

Originally posted by Old Darth

Hey Bev - anything new to report? How's things looking?

Nothing new to report. I'm still waiting for my bound galleys to arrive. Maybe tomorrow, after the holiday weekend.

Glad you found my little corner of the net, Thjorska, and I hope we'll see you around, grumpy or otherwise, every now and then!