Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Paris Review & Duma Key

edited September 2006 in General news
The Art of Fiction No. 189

Issue 178, Fall 2006. Excerpt available at the above link.

Comments

• I read this interview today at work. Very interesting. It covers some well-trod ground (King's thoughts on Kubrick's THE SHINING, among others), but also mentions things that were new to me -- King's contining battle against booze and drugs (clean for years, he still attends AA), the time he tied son Joe to the bed (it was for research purposes!), and the his NEXT novel, Duma Point (set in Florida, it may or may not be a haunted house tale, and features a protagonist who has lost an arm and who experiences phantom limb sensations)!

Definitely worth a read!
  • RJ_Sevin wrote: I read this interview today at work. Very interesting. It covers some well-trod ground (King's thoughts on Kubrick's THE SHINING, among others), but also mentions things that were new to me -- King's contining battle against booze and drugs (clean for years, he still attends AA), the time he tied son Joe to the bed (it was for research purposes!), and the his NEXT novel, Duma Point (set in Florida, it may or may not be a haunted house tale, and features a protagonist who has lost an arm and who experiences phantom limb sensations)!

Definitely worth a read!

Thanks for this -- my copy is on order. The Duma Point news is interesting. He's been talking about wanting to set a book in Florida for some time now.
  • The correct title should be Duma Key according to King's site.

Lilja
  • My mistake -- me was sweepy when I posted. :-/
  • The short story "Memory" appears to be an excerpt from this novel. It has the same character name, at least. On his web site, King describes it as being about a guy named Edgar Freemantle who has an accident and loses an arm and has paranormal symptomatology relating to phantom limb sensations.
  • sounds good to me! :D
  • paranormal symptomatology
    That is a new one - don't let the hypochondriacs know about it.

Hope the nearby Chapters carries the magazine so I can read the interview on a lunch hour this week.
  • Outside of King's web site, the exact phrase "paranormal symptomatology" is found by Google exactly one other time!
  • Cool dat! Wonder what the genesis of this story idea was.
  • Further to my previous post...stopped by Chapters on the way home and they had The Paris Review magazine.

Excellent interview with King and long too - 35 pages! There are some great photos and a copy of a handwritten page from Bag of Bones.

Included are some anecdotes I had never heard before and the favourite is the one where he tied up one of his sons to the bed to see if it would possible for the lead character of Gerald's Game, Jessie Burlingame, to untie herself!

The mag even comes included with a bookmark with a quote by King from the interview.

Recommended purchase for all King fans.
  • According to King's message board moderator, "Memory" is from Duma Key but was edited quite a bit so the short story differs from the version that will appear in the novel. He is editing the novel at this point.
  • Another amazing tidbit from the interview, King would edit his manuscript at the ball game between innings and pitcher changes. Wow!
  • I remember reading about that at the time he was working on Faithful. I just got my mail-order copy of the magazine on Saturday.
  • Does he go to public events like baseball games without security or does he have a private box? You think someone would be tempted to procure his handiwork.
  • For some sports, he has a somewhat private box. I don't think people approach him with an eye to purloining some of his work, but he does get autograph requests. He has a standing policy of not signing while at a sports event.
  • If you have to be a celebrity, a celebrity writer seems the best choice.
  • According to King's message board moderator, King has finished the first draft of Duma Key and will revise it after he gets it back from his editors.
  • Borders has an excerpt from this interview where King discusses Lisey's Story.
  • For more than 50 years, the Paris Review has set the gold standard in author interviews. And in "The Paris Review Interviews, Vol. II," edited by Philip Gourevitch, with an introduction by Orhan Pamuk (Picador, $16), the riches are on full display.

Four Nobel laureates. Four Pulitzer Prize winners. Three National Book Award winners. And that's not counting James Baldwin, Peter Carey, Philip Larkin and Alice Munro, to name just four of the 16 writers included.

The lineup is stunning — and the conversation isn't what you'd expect.

Here's William Faulkner recommending "landlord in a brothel" as a good day job for an author ("The place is quiet during the morning hours, which is the best time of day to write"). Here's Toni Morrison noting that "Sex is difficult to write about because it's just not sexy enough." Here's Gabriel García Márquez admitting his dislike of literary theorists ("Chiefly because I cannot really understand them"), and Isaac Bashevis Singer contending that "telepathy and clairvoyance play a part in every love story."

And those are just the Nobel laureates.

The interviews range in time from 1953 (Graham Greene) to 2006 (Stephen King): a full half-century of literary talk at its most provocative and revealing.