Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Faithful: the miniseries

edited May 2007 in General news
According to Variety, HBO Films and HBO Sports are making a miniseries based on the Stephen King/Stewart O'Nan book "Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season."

Bill Diamond will write scripts for the program, which has been broken into six hour long episodes. The series will chronicle the Red Sox's 2004 World Series win. Much of the program will also focus on the 86 year lag between wins.

At this time it is unclear how involved Stephen King will be in the production of the miniseries.

Comments

• HBO Films and HBO Sports will give miniseries treatment to the Stephen King/Stewart O'Nan book "Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season."

Bill Diamond has been set to write the mini, which will be broken down to six hourlong episodes that will dramatize how the team ended its 86-year drought and won the 2004 World Series.

The mini will dramatize the build-up to the playoffs with storylines told from the eyes of fans, players and the front office, led by baby-faced general manager Theo Epstein, which assembled the championship team.

Bill Haber will exec produce through Ostar Productions. Producer and Red Sox co-owner Tom Werner has pledged his cooperation, which will give Diamond access to the Bosox clubhouse to interview the players, as well as management and fans.

It is unclear how active King will be, though he was a fixture in Fenway Park as the Red Sox dramatically ended nearly a century of futility that began right after the team sold Babe Ruth's contract to the Yankees. Down three games to the Yanks in the 2004 American League Championship Series -- the team lost 19-8 in Game 3 -- the Red Sox won four straight games. The team then swept the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

Ostar recently turned the King book "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" into a mini.
  • This very well may be the first ever King television production that I skip!  I read (actuallyy listened) to Faithful and then sold the Audio Book.  I doubt I'd watch another six hours of Yankee bashing.  

King bashed away and I was OK with that - O'Nan, on the other hand was downright nasty proud of standing in the streets flipping the bird to the bus full of Yankee fans in the wee hours of the night!  Gee now there's sportsmanship for you!  He hates the Yankees - that's OK - and he hates everyone that likes the Yankees, and lowered himself to some seriously degrading name calling. Now that's the mature thing to do!  I guess he abhors me!!!!!  But having been a Yankee fan since I was about 5 years old, now is not the time to change allegiances.  Why would I change who I rooted for after doing so for 45 years or more!!!

I do love it when the Yankees beat up on the Red Sox - not happening this year :-) - but I never go out of my way to make disparaging remarks to noted Red Sox Fans (ie red Sox bumper sticker,Red Sox baseball cap; jacket, etc.  But when I wear my Yankee Hat/Jacket I get it all the time.  People tell me I should be ashamed of myself; people are on purposely rude to me; people tell me I suck!; I never reciprocate, but sometimes walk away fuming!  

I must say I did grin a bit this morning when I heard two office mates (a row of cubes over) who are Red Sox fans and talk about the red Sox every monring - I heard then talk about Paplebon blowing the save for them last night!  Gee that kid is an awesome closer, but just like Mariano he is human! A couple of days ago they were gloating over the Red Sox batter than line drived the Yankee rookie pitcher and actually broke his leg. I just tried to ignore the comment

OK Sorry off my soapbox now!  :-)

• So, you'd rather watch the Yankees play the way they are this year instead? ;)
  • I'd rather watch the Yankees no matter what - I am a true fan hou know! I groaned big time last night - How can a team go up 5 runs in the first inning and lose 15 - 11! Geesh!

It was sad to see Derek Jeter go 0 - 6 last night and end his 20 game hitting streak - worse as the bases were loaded and the opportunity to win was staring him in the face that last at bat of the game!!

I am ever the optimist here - Yankee pitching will come around or Mr Steinbrenner may just drop dead of a heart attack! :-)
  • Stewart O'Nan is known in niche literary circles as the author of intimate character dramas like Snow Angels, which was his first movie adaptation. However, he had one especially popular book. With Stephen King, he cowrote Faithful: Two Die Hard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season. Now, HBO is looking to make a miniseries out of it and he has plenty of thoughts about this season. Though we spoke just before March, his comments still hold up.

Crave Online: Let's talk about the Red Sox.

Stewart O'Nan: No, the World Champion Red Sox.

Crave Online: Is HBO working on a miniseries of Faithful: Two Die Hard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season?

Stewart O'Nan: Yeah, HBO has optioned it and wants to develop some sort of miniseries. I think they did very well with Curse of the Bambino and The End of the Curse of the Bambino, so they're going to try to do something like that with the 2004 season. Of course, they signed that up before they won again in 2007 so now I think they're going to have to maybe add some sort of appendix.

Crave Online: Would you and Stephen be in the miniseries since it's your conversation?

Stewart O'Nan: I wouldn't think so. I don't know how they're going to put together. I have no clue.

>> Full interview