Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Eli Roth Interview at AICN - Cell Discussed

edited June 2007 in General news
Capone over at AICN talks to Roth about Hostel II and the upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King's - Cell.

Comments

• Post-Cabin Fever, director Eli Roth set up a number of projects, laying a groundwork of opportunities. Before ultimately moving on to Hostel, he flirted with the Stephen King property 1408, a short story culled from the "Everything's Eventual" collection and now turned into a feature film directed by Mikael Håfström.

So, whatever happened to Roth's involvement? Shock poses that question to 1408 producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura who tells us, "Eli was attracted to it right away, but we couldn't set up his take anywhere." As it turns out, many were turned off by Roth's grue-filled approach, "so Eli fell out and it was a little while later that Dimension Films bought the rights to the short story. [Writer] Matt Greenberg came in and Scott [Alexander] and Larry [Karaszewski] came in with Mikael." And what was Roth's take, exactly? "It was too bloody to say out loud," Di Bonaventura laughs. "It was madness and an entirely different movie. He has such a love of the bloody parts of the genre I think it scared everybody."

Di Bonaventura is pleased now with the film's final approach which forgoes the gore. "Some of the most interesting aspects of the story - the mental disintegration as opposed to the physical degradation that's going on - that's something that Mikael and the writers could bring to the table."

Roth, coincidentally, is now working with writers Alexander and Karaszewski on an adaptation of Stephen King's "Cell."
  • Writer/director Eli Roth (the Hostel films) told SCI FI Wire that he wanted to adapt Stephen King's novel Cell as his next project because he considers the story timely and relevant. In the novel, cellular telephones help turn people into zombies.

"I love the idea that technology turns on us," Roth said in an interview while promoting his second Hostel movie. "I have always wanted to make an apocalypse movie, and I like that this isn't a straight zombie movie, that these are humans who are crazy, whose brains have been scrambled by cell phones. I read that a quarter of the U.S. bee population has died off, and they don't know what's killing the bees. Is it a virus? There are people who think it could be cell phones, that they're screwing up the bees' radar, and they can't get back to their hives." (In fact, the study suggesting this has been discredited, the Los Angeles Times reported over the weekend.)

Roth quoted physicist Albert Einstein as saying that the human race is four steps removed from the extinction of bees. "So I'm thinking it's already starting to happen, that all these cell phones in our culture and our world are going to start affecting us and the planet in ways we cannot even imagine," Roth said.

Bees or not, Roth added, "What really made me want to do Cell was Hurricane Katrina. You just saw, in a matter of hours, the total breakdown and complete destruction of society. People almost reverted to some primal, animal state. You looked on TV, and there were bodies floating down the street and people shooting at each other, and nobody showed up. The police quit and the Army didn't show up for five days."

Roth said that he has conferred with King, who told the filmmaker to make Cell his own. "I had heard he was pissed at Stanley Kubrick about The Shining, which is a film I love," Roth said. "I thought, 'OK, Stephen King is my favorite writer. I don't want him mad at me.' I said, 'I will do this if it's really an adaptation. I'm not going to do a straight recreation. I'm not going to film the book. I'm going to take core elements of the book and the story, but I'm going to make it into a film. I'm going to adapt it.' He said, 'No worries. Do whatever you want. This is your adaptation of Cell.'"
  • Eli Roth provides an update on his adaptation of Cell, which was supposed to be his next big project.

“I am not directing CELL any time soon, and I most likely will take the rest of the year to write my other projects. Which means I wouldn't shoot until the spring, and you wouldn't see a film directed by me in the cinemas until at least next fall (2008)."
  • I’m not thinking beyond ‘Hostel: Part II’. I feel like next I’ll do [Stephen King adaptation] ‘Cell’, but the truth is I’ve been going since October 2004 when I started writing ‘Hostel’ and I haven’t stopped in exactly two years. I haven’t taken a day off – I went right from doing the international press to doing the DVD release to writing the sequel to prepping the sequel, so I think after this I need to take a break, slow down, find a place to live, find a girlfriend.

>> Source
  • Eli Roth told Comic Con that his adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Cell” is on hold. Hollywood’s golden horror boy has said that the script for the movie, which he is working on with writers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, is yet to be completed.

The project has been put on hold because Roth is busy working on his next film “Trailer Trash”, a movie full of fake trailers. Mad, but we love him!

When he gets round to making The Cell, he has told us he really wants Stephen King to have a cameo role, as he has done with several of his movies before.
  • MTV: What's the latest on your adaptation of Stephen King's "Cell"?

Roth: The latest with "Cell" is that the script is not finished. I've realized that I can't multitask in the writing department; I can only kind of do one thing at a time. So right now I'm working on [a guest-director episode of] "Heroes," and then I'll work on "Trailer Trash," and then we'll see about "Cell" after that.
  • In 2007, [Eli Roth] was attached to direct an adaptation of Stephen King's epic zombie thriller "Cell," but later dropped out. "I walked away from it," he says. "I love Stephen King and I love the book, but I want to write my own stories."

>>> Source

• hmmmmmm.....
  • He elaborates further at Fangoria: “But the script wasn’t ready,” he explains, “and the studio [Dimension] had a very different idea of what they wanted as opposed to what I hoped to make. Instead of fighting with them, I thought, what’s the rush, but then quietly let it go.”
  • I wonder whose vision was closer to the book?