Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Misc. articles about King

edited June 2007 in General news

Comments

• 50 reasons to love SK

LOL at #26, with which I completely agree
  • Me too.

#45 is a good one too.
  • Plotting King: An Infographic By Alison Willmore

IFC News

Stephen King — bestseller list mainstay, horror icon, fierce Mainer, sporadic EW columnist — has provided the genesis of so many films that, sorting through the list of direct adaptations of his work and looser "based on characters created by"s, you're bound to come across some surprises and oddities, like, say, this Russian animated short, adapted from "Battleground." "1408," which opens tomorrow, is the latest in a less-than-valiant line of titles that have attempted to stretch a King short story into a feature-length film. For all that King has made his name in horror, the highest profile film adaptations of his work are spread evenly between that genre and his excursions into Serious Fiction. The current winner: four novella collection "Different Seasons," which has yielded "Stand By Me," "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Apt Pupil."

Below, with apologies to New York magazine's Approval Matrix, is our graphic representation of the highs, the lows, and the in-betweens of the oeuvre that is the Stephen King adaptation.

• Don't agree with The Green Mile placement at all! >:(
  • I watched the last hour or so of The Green Mile on cable the other night, flipping back and forth between that and something else. I came in at the point where John is taken to help the warden's wife. Geez, but it took a long time from there to get to the end of the film. My main gripe with TGM film is that it is way too long for the story it has to tell. I think it could have been trimmed by 45 minutes. I don't agree that it was self-parody, but perhaps self-indulgent.
  • The length never bothered me too much.  Just wished they would have included more of the final rites scenes for Bitterbuck and Delacroix - some of the most powerful moments in the book.

Also I would trade places with Shawshank and the Shining.

I watched the last hour or so of The Green Mile on cable the other night
    Watching anything on TV is an ordeal!
  • This one appeared on The Guardian's website on (appropriately) Friday 13th.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/07/king.html

Regards,

Adrian.
  • King shows why he's Faithful to the Sox

BOSTON -- Early arrivals to Fenway Park for Game 2 of the American League Division Series were treated to a baseball matinee: the Yankees and Indians aired live on the center-field video board.

Cheering with everyone else in the ballpark was best-selling author Stephen King.

Maine's famous son and the author of dozens of works of fiction -- and at least one well-known work of non-fiction, "Faithful: Two Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season" -- wore a Boston hat and a salmon-colored T-shirt with a simple message on the back: "I support two teams. Boston and whoever beats New York."

So it went without saying before Friday's late start which team had King's early support.

"It's great," said King, while taking a break from his second-row field-box seat, which had a private TV monitor embedded in the barricade. "It's great, as long as the Indians, you know, win."

Before he had a chance to watch the Yankees-Indians game at Fenway, he watched Game 1 of that ALDS on Thursday night. The Indians pummeled Yankees starter Chien-Ming Wang, going on to win, 12-3.

"Loved it," King said. "Loved it."

"How's Daisuke [Matsuzaka] going to be tonight?" he added, changing the subject to more pressing matters.

King was asked what he thought of the 2007 Red Sox.

"I think they're really strong," King said. "[They have] good pitching, good hitting, peaking at the right time."

As for the other team King was supporting on Friday? The live Yankees-Indians feed went dark during the national anthem at Fenway, and it never came back on. As of Matsuzaka's first pitch, King's personal monitor had switched to Red Sox-Angels.

The Indians beat the Yankees, 2-1, in 11 innings to take a 2-0 series advantage.
  • Scared out of diapers

TMZ.com posted a video yesterday that proves Sox super fan Stephen King is a frightful fellow. In the clip, the high priest of horror is greeting fans before the New York premiere of "The Mist" when someone asks him to autograph their daughter's diaper. Saying he had "changed a few" in his day, King happily obliges, but the kid, thinking the best-selling author's absconding with her diaper, throws a fit.