Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

EW Column question for Bev (or anyone who knows)

edited June 2007 in General news
Hi there. Just joined today but have been visiting here for a few years.

I'm a bit confused regarding a few of King's EW essays.

!) I know that "On Predicting Violence" was not one of King's The Pop of King columns. But did it ever occur in the actual mag, or just online?

2) Two of King's EW contributions: "The Wonder of It All" (about Lost) and the more recent "Stevie's Wonders" (his picks of the best rock 'n roll music ever), are they parts of the columns, or seperate entities (like "The Sideshow Has Left Town" and "On Predicting Violence")?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• ah, a collector! i like these kinds of questions. "On Predicting Violence" was online only as far as I can tell. if anyone knows any different, please post here.

"The Wonder Of It All" was not a Pop of King column, but a pull-out section in the magazine. I'm actually not sure about "Stevie's Wonders" yet. It was in the mag, but I'm not sure if it is a Pop of King or not.

-justin
  • Hi Justin. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a collector, a very serious one at that, and have myself a nice collection that I'm proud of (thanks to lots of nice people, including Lilja), but of course, not complete yet. There's still lots of things out there by the Master.

Sorry for asking this, but are you Justin Brooks?

Anyone knows about "Stevie's Wonders"?
  • I'm fairly sure Stevie's Wonders was not a regular Pop of King column
  • Thankee-sai, Bev. That was my impression too.

BTW, I don't know if you remember this, but sometime last year I posted here about the Marvel comic adaptation of "The Lawnmower Man" and asked whether the text was by King or not. It turned out the text WAS by King, as indicated a few times by the Marvel people behind the DT comics. Makes you want to treasure the Bizarre Adventures version more, doesn't it?

Also, I once quered you about King's unfilmed film treatment "Training Exercises." According to Castle Rock (the newsletter) it was about some war veterans who own their own Pacific Island, and they are bored, so they trick young kids to come to their island to participate in a "harmless training exercise."

However, the kids are met with live bullets and discover that the war veterans have been slaughtering people for years.

Too bad it never happened. But the plot sounds quite similar to an unpublished novel by King, On the Island, with a few differences. So it seems like King incorporated some of the film treatment into this unpublished novel.
  • i should have a copy of "Stevie's Wonders" soon, so I'll post here when I know for certain, but Bev's probably right.

yep, DanishFan, i'm Justin Brooks.

-justin
  • I've noticed the similarity between On The Island and Training Exercises as well. it is also very similar to a Japanese film called Battle Royale.

-justin
  • Hi Justin. Cool it's actually you! Looking forward to your upcoming book about King. It is coming out in an "ordinary" trade edition, right? I never managed to get Rocky Wood's Uncollected, Unpublished, although a nice woman mailed me photocopies od the chapters I wanted the most. So I have half of it!

I've heard of Battle Royale. It's a game, right? So I guess On the Island/Training Exercises is something you might cover in your book?

Am very curious to know more about the Batman and Robin script. Sounds like something hilarious King did way back in college. Not that I want you to spoils things from the book, but is the title actually Batman and Robin (can't help but think of the movie with George Clooney:)

I don't know how full/complete your collection is, but maybe we could some day do a trade or two? But I probably don't have anything that you don't already have.

What I need most in my collection is some of King's non-fiction pieces. I got photocopies of the original Slade installments, except one of the installments. Stll waiting for that one.

Sorry 'bout the rambling.

• Oops, I see you wrote "the film Battle Royale." I will check it out.
  • DanishFan, drop me an e-mail:
    notdarkyet@aol.com

-justin
  • BTW, the title for the Batman and Robin play is unknown. My notes show: "This is a script about Batman and Robin that King wrote for Class Day. This piece was written and performed in 1966."

-justin
  • If you are refering to the Bibliography, you can get a trade paperback or a hardcover. If you are talking about the non-fiction book I did with Rocky, it's only being done in numbered and lettered editions.

-justin
  • Oh, I see. BTW, I send you an e-mail as you requested.
  • i responded to you. check your spam folder perhaps...your e-mail ended up in my spam for some reason!

-justin
  • If you're wondering why there hasn't been a Pop of King article for a while, his MB moderator posted this: "Steve had written a piece about Jericho but it got 'scooped' when the network decided to renew the show following the outcry from fans, so EW decided not to run his article. He'll be there for the next rotation. "