Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dead Zone Season 6

edited June 2007 in General news
Interesting bit of news I was not aware of - this season filming has moved from Vancouver to Montreal. Since the series is so much closer to Maine now, I can only optimistically hope that maybe King will finally do a cameo on the series. 8-)

Comments

• Wow -- I just watched the season premiere and boy, did I not see that coming. A bunch of thats actually. They have really chosen to shake this series up. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
  • I heard rumblings but do not know the details. Someone claimed the show has jumped the shark.

Watched the first two episodes of Season 5 - pretty good so far.
  • Too early to tell about sharks. I think they took one knotty plot problem and shoved it into the closet so they don't have to worry about it--for a while at least. A major character relocates, one reforms and another experiences something life-altering.
  • New episode: Ego

Johnny's relationship with new Cleaves Mills sheriff Anna Turner (Cara Buono) gets off to a rocky start when she tells him that her department will no longer need his help. But when Johnny has a vision of her shooting a female psychiatrist, he launches an investigation despite her objections. Don't miss "Ego" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!

On the official site:

Watch the Season Premiere - Missed last Sunday's season premiere? You still have a few days to watch the full episode online, along with last season's finale!

Video Commentaries - Go beyond the script with exclusive Video Commentaries from the Writers of each new episode of The Dead Zone.

Johnny & Bruce's E-Mail Exchange - Although Bruce left Cleaves Mills, he's still keeping in touch with Johnny by e-mail. Each week, you'll get a peek at their correspondence.

Dead Zone Trivia - Show us that you are the ultimate Dead Zone fan by acing 17 questions drawn from the show's first five seasons!

Two-Minute Replays - For each new episode of The Dead Zone, we'll be offering Two-Minute Replays featuring that week's major plot developments.

Coming Soon! - Check the official Dead Zone site after the show this Sunday to learn how you can search for clues that answer why Walt was killed!

• Johnny and Vice President Stillson must work together to prevent a catastrophic disaster caused by a private space mission. Meanwhile, Sarah, who is now eight-and-a-half months pregnant, pretends not to notice the nasty glances and whispers by the other parents as they gossip about the ongoing investigation of Walt, and the fact that she and JJ are now living with Johnny. Don't miss "Reentry" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!
  • Buddy TV review of "Reentry"

Greg Stillson and Johnny Smith working together, what’s next? Cats and dogs walking paw in paw? Who says the end of the world is not near. The Latest , “Reentry,” has a premise that makes any die hard The Dead Zone fan – like myself – bristle: Johnny Smith actually helping Greg Stillson. Sure, the death of Janus seems to have put Armageddon on hold, and practically every evil act - besides arrogance - Greg Stillson has committed has wound up being attributed to one of his lackeys. Still, a Greg Stillson and Johnny Smith alliance brings thoughts of water skies and carnivorous fishies. Thankfully, Dead Zone did not go there.

“Reentry” is still a frustrating episode in a few ways. One, it reminds us how in some peoples eyes Johnny’s psychic riffs are as much the real thing as the air we breathe. This is the Achilles’ heel for The Dead Zone. Sometimes Johnny’s abilities are integrated in a way that would under any examination provide incontrovertible proof that his abilities are real. Other times, like last weeks “Ego,” we can see where subtle extrapolation and a keen, yet unconscious, faculty for calculating the obvious are behind it all as far as the skeptics are concerned.

What irks many fans, myself included, is that we shift these gears far too often throughout the course of a season. Granted, as proven last week and this week as well, The Dead Zone continues to deliver interesting plots without its central gimmick, the visions themselves, becoming too contrived.

This time around, it was a private spaceflight stranded in the atmosphere and in grave danger. A set of dog tags provided Johnny with the link to the Captain of the ailing spacecraft, and also allowed Johnny to roam around in outers space a bit as he worked up a solution for the doomed crew.

What I wanted to know going into this episode of The Dead Zone was whether we would see a changed Stillson. Now that he is free from the grips of his corrupt father, right hand man, and the nefarious Janus, would Stillson be coming into his own as one of the good guys? Surprisingly, we got to see a level headed, in control, evil free Stillson from tip to toe in this episode. Does this mean Stillson had turned to the light side? Thankfully, according to Johnny the answer is not a chance.

It was a relief to see Johnny still holding on to his cynicism of Stillson. After all, even though the series has become tangential to the Stephen King novel, in the book Stillson was an evil person whose trade was putting on an angelic guise. He was the snake in the grass, the wolf in sheep’s clothing, the serpent in the apple tree. Like all of King’s villains Stillson had a charisma and power that completely masked his intent.

Despite it’s many deviations, there can be little doubt that the series is handling this one aspect in the spirit of the novel. In that light, an appreciative Stillson offering Johnny a warm handshake can be one of the creepiest expressions of his true nature. Now, we just have to wait for Stillson’s nightfall.

- Jon Lachonis, BuddyTV Senior Writer
  • Johnny learns that JJ is skipping school to visit a traveling circus, where the barely-teenaged boy has fallen head-over-heels for Monique, a young acrobat. But Johnny faces an even bigger dilemma when he has visions of dangerous acts that threaten the circus, including murder! Don't miss "Big Top" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!
  • The Montreal influence showed up in this week's episode -- the guest star was a Quebec actor by the name of Patrick Labbe.
  • More Montreal-ness in The Heist--Johnny is aboard a Canadian Pacific train that has a final destination of Montreal. It's a nice noir episode with shades of The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. I hope Johnny has a good cell phone plan, though. He gets off the train in Saint Bonaface and calls Sara--the roaming charges for a US phone in Canada can be killer!
  • Sarah decides she can't risk listening to Johnny's delirious warnings when Dr. Cole (Tom Barnett) tells her that Johnny's appendix is inflamed and must be operated on before it bursts. But vision becomes reality when Johnny slips into a coma after what should have been a routine operation. Sarah can't believe that she's right back where she started years ago... and this time, Johnny saw it coming.

Don't miss "Numb" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!
  • Through the magic of the internet I have seen the first two episodes. Not sure what to think at this point.
  • I'm feeling more connected with the series this season than before, but that may be because I'm watching them "in real time" for the first time, whereas previously someone used to send me five or six episodes in a batch.

Here's next week's show -- sounds like another experiment in real-time programming:

Johnny, now fully recovered from his recent coma, heads to the bus station to pick up Sarah's college friend Elaine (Maxim Roy). Once there he has a horrifying vision of a massive fireball that consumes the entire bus station, engulfing masses of terrified people. Johnny has only 51 minutes to save dozens of lives, including his own!

Don't miss "Outcome" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!
  • During Hope's baptism, the holy water triggers a distressing vision for Johnny that thrusts him into the investigation of a missing young woman. Johnny and Father Brendan (Colin Fox) are relentless in their pursuit of justice and, along the way, are forced to examine the very nature of good and evil.

Don't miss "Transgressions" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!

• Just watched Big Top. Lots of King references here, the original carny and wheel of fortune, a Shawshank reference, a John Coffey variant, and JJ shows some talent. It came of kind of corny and yet by two thirds of the way through, damn if I wasn't sucked in.

• During a visit with Bruce, Johnny is hit with a vision of a valuable filly being stolen on the eve of a big horse race. Meanwhile, Sarah begins to see Stillson in a new light when he helps JJ with an important project for school.

Don't miss "Drift" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!

• Alex is back!

Johnny risks his life to save his psychic friend Alex Sinclair (Jennifer Finnegan) from being murdered. Meanwhile, a distraught Sarah finds a friend and confidant in Greg Stillson.

Don't miss "Exile" – an all-new episode of The Dead Zone this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!

• Only two episodes left in season 6: Johnny and Sheriff Turner's lives are on the line as they pursue two separate investigations that lead back to Walt (Chris Bruno).
  • Season finale! Johnny's visions of Walt (Chris Bruno) lead to a shocking discovery about Johnny's father, Herb Smith (Tom Skerritt), as secrets from the past are revealed.

Don't miss "Denouement" this Sunday at 10/9C on USA Network!

I think it's funny they're using Tom Skerritt as Johnny's father, since he played Sheriff Bannerman in The Dead Zone movie.