Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

SK's Killing the Great Writers of America

edited September 2007 in General news
Who's Killing the Great Writers of America? by Robert Kaplow

"Diarrhea on the Orient Express" describes the unfortunate experience of Sue Grafton as she celebrates another series of books, starting with AA Is for Aardvark. Even more unfortunate for Grafton is her chance meeting with ramblin' guy Steve Martin. After dispatching Grafton, Kaplow, author of the Top Ten BookSense selection Me and Orson Welles, aims his satiric pen at best-selling writers Danielle Steel, Curtis Sittenfeld, and Tom Clancy. It is up to Stephen King to solve the murder mystery as he risks becoming the next victim. Along the way, Kaplow fires volleys at the likes of President George W. Bush, former shock jock Don Imus, and Deepa, a Verizon customer-service rep who prefers to be called Scarlett. In an unforgettable finale on Swan's Island off the coast of Maine, King encounters former Enron executive Ken Lay, a terrifying lizard, and Anne Bancroft, who reprises her role as Annie in The Miracle Worker. Funny. Irreverent. Fast-paced. Parody at its best. Kaplow's clever spoof will please everyone but its victims.

Book Description

What do bestselling writers Sue Grafton, Danielle Steel, Curtis Sittenfeld ("Prep") and Tom Clancy all have in common? They've all been murdered in a manner both gruesome and appropriate to their style. An extremely paranoid Steven King is convinced that he will be the next victim, and so he must leave his heavily-barricaded fortress in Bangor, Maine, to discover" Who's Killing the Great Writers of America?" This hilarious send-up of the world of publishing by the author of "Me and Orson Welles" and "The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun" takes us from Venice to Paris to Maine and offers cameo appearances by Steve Martin, Gerard Depardieu, plus a few surprises.
FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT

Comments

• This sounds like goofy fun.  Did you read it Bev?  thoughts?
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • I will look for this for sure!
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNT
  • ....just snatched up a copy......me likee parodee......
    not_nadineNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....just snatched up a copy......me likee parodee......
    Be sure and let us know how this is.
    GNTLGNTnot_nadineNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....just snatched up a copy......me likee parodee......
    Be sure and let us know how this is.
    ....I shall, will shuffle my TBR a bit to make that happen once the male snale arrives....
    Hedda Gablernot_nadineNotaro
  • I just downloaded it!
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • I just downloaded it!
    Read read read!
    not_nadineGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • ....mine should hit the mailbox today, and by happy coincidence, I just finished my current read last night......
    not_nadineHedda GablerNotaro
  • ....just a few dozen pages in, and it's pretty damned funny.....can't wait to see what he does with Steve......
    not_nadineHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir

• GNTLGNT said:
    ....just a few dozen pages in, and it's pretty damned funny.....can't wait to see what he does with Steve......
    glad it was worth the purchase so far.
    GNTLGNTNotaro

• GNTLGNT said:
    ....just a few dozen pages in, and it's pretty damned funny.....can't wait to see what he does with Steve......
    glad it was worth the purchase so far.
    ....it came from Thrift Books, and is well worth the price of admission.....Sue Grafton has already bought the farm......some of the references I won't get because there are writers I don't follow, but it is genuinely hilarious.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....Holy crappola is this a good one......
  • Did you finish it Scott?
    GNTLGNT
  • I finished it.  Oh boy.
    GNTLGNT
  • Did you finish it Scott?
    ...not quite, but Nottie can lay her thoughts out there and then I'll fling my mental poo when I finish the book.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I finished it.  Oh boy.
    So? Was it worth your time?  Which author death was the most interesting? unique? awful?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Yes, worth it.  My sister read it as well, and texted me "that was the strangest f'in book I ever read.
    Danielle Steel had a bad time, I will never think of her the same way again. (ha) 
    SK is in the book more than I thought he would be.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Yes, worth it.  My sister read it as well, and texted me "that was the strangest f'in book I ever read.
    Danielle Steel had a bad time, I will never think of her the same way again. (ha) 
    Okay. Now I must read this.  
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
    ....yes you must.....hilarious writing, plotting goofily odd, ending so twisted-yet so happy...and the best part is that Steve was the Main Man!.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Yes, worth it.  My sister read it as well, and texted me "that was the strangest f'in book I ever read.
    ....yes you must.....hilarious writing, plotting goofily odd, ending so twisted-yet so happy...and the best part is that Steve was the Main Man!.....GNTLGNT said:
    Yes, worth it.  My sister read it as well, and texted me "that was the strangest f'in book I ever read.
    ....yes you must.....hilarious writing, plotting goofily odd, ending so twisted-yet so happy...and the best part is that Steve was the Main Man!.....
    I agree with my sister on this. Strangest f'in book I've ever read.
    GNT, don't forget about the random appearances of the famous banjo player.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....yes you must.....hilarious writing, plotting goofily odd, ending so twisted-yet so happy...and the best part is that Steve was the Main Man!.....GNTLGNT said:
    I agree with my sister on this. Strangest f'in book I've ever read.
    GNT, don't forget about the random appearances of the famous banjo player.
    .....that wild & crazy guy was one of the wildest bits of randomness about the book!....
    Hedda Gabler