Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New story Mute to be in 12/07 Playboy

edited October 2007 in General news
Deja vu:  I was the one to put up the description of "Willa", which appeared in Playboy, and now I get to do the same for a new story, "Mute", which will appear in the December issue.

From the just-out November issue, p. 152, the description (potential spoiler, I suppose):

MUTE--In a confession to a priest, a traveling salesman tells of his encounter on the Maine turnpike with a deaf-mute hitchhiker to whom he rants about his adulterous wife.  Master of the macabre STEPHEN KING delivers another compelling tale with a twist.

Comments

• glad King's short stories are still alive and well! this wouldn't happen to be a re-titling of "Ayana" or whatever the one as-yet unpublished short story was would it?

-justin
  • Could be -- but as I recall, Ayanna was inspired by the recent death of Tabby's mother.
  • Is that what the title was determined to be? "Ayanna"? I ask because I know there was a fair amount of confusion when that news came about.

Thanks.

-Justin
  • Ayana, actually -- as confirmed by King's office
  • This should answer notdarkyet's question. Just posted at the official site:

New Releases Coming in November:

In November, two new stories by Stephen will be appearing--"Ayana," in the Fall issue of The Paris Review, and "Mute," in the December issue of Playboy.

Posted 11 October 2007

• I got this from the people over at Playboy:

MUTE: A traveling salesman picks up a hitchhiker and pours out his heart about his wife's infidelity -- with surprising results -- in this short story by Stephen King

Lilja
  • i hear that The Paris Review is in some stores now. i'm off to pick it up this evening. does anyone know the on-sale date of the December issue of Playboy?

-justin
  • I'd expect to see it sometime within the next 12 days or so
  • I read somewhere that they were releasing it early (like around any day now) due to anticipation over a Farrah Fawcett Nude layout! Shocking isn't it! :-)
  • I've seen one report of the December issue being available in stores now. Farrah, eh? My fantasy woman when I was a teenager. If only she'd done Playboy spreads back then!
  • The issue is out. I've seen it--or at least its cover--in a Barnes & Noble. Said cover features reality "star" Kim Kardashian. I have not had a chance to see the story yet.
  • I picked up a copy at Borders a few minutes ago.
  • I just got and read my copy. An interesting story!

John
  • I really like the dual-sided cutout that illustrates the story. Very clever.

I thought it was a decent story, too. Confession upon confession.