Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

FSF: New York Times at Special Bargain Rates

edited October 2007 in General news
In his interview with Leonard Lopate, King says he sold a story to F&SF late this year for $500. No other details available at this time.

Comments

• According to assistant editor John Joseph Adams, the story is called "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates" and is approx 3100 words.
  • thanks Bev. any word on a release date for that issue? this year would make three in a matter of months...

-justin
  • I don't know how far ahead they plan out their issues. It's listed as a September/October acquisition, so it might be a squeeze to make it out this calendar year. Still possible, though.
  • Addendum: The F&SF message board lists the TOCs for the (current) Oct/November and December issues. King's story isn't listed -- looks like it won't be out until 2008.
  • The title is "[title removed due to trademark issues]" and that it has been tentatively scheduled to appear in their Oct/Nov 2008 issue.

Lilja
  • Oct/Nov 2008? You'd have to think that Pocket Rockets would already be out by then!

-justin
  • The Oct/Nov anniversary issue of F&SF containing this story will go on sale on August 30.
  • Cool - thanks for the heads up!
  • With the success (so far anyway) of CBS' "Under the Dome," ABC looks to be jumping on the Stephen King bandwagon by acquiring a pilot script from "Haven" creators Sam Ernst and Jim Dunn based on a King-penned short story.

The title of the story - a bit too long for TV most likely - is "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates," which was originally published in the October/November 2008 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction and also appeared in the 2008 short story collection Just After Sunset.

Ernst shared the news via his Twitter feed:

- Also, big news coming from me and HavenJim [Dunn] - like where we've been and what we've been doing. It probably ain't what you think...

- But it does involve a young up and coming writer named Stephen King...

- This (sorta) just in: Jim Dunn and I have sold a pilot script to ABC based on a Stephen King short story,"New York Times at Bargain Rates."
  • ABC's Signature is readying Grand Central, a potential straight-to-series order for summer 2014 from Haven writers Sam Ernst and Jim Dunn. The drama is based on King's short story The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates and described as a character-driven procedural with a supernatural twist. The short, published in 2008 and collected in King's Just After Sunset, centers on a widow who answers a phone call from her husband who died two days earlier in a plane crash. The husband predicts two tragedies that later come true and helps his wife avoid death.

>> Source
  • This sounds like the tie-in will be even looser than the one between The Colorado Kid and Haven.

Of course, I'll still check it out.

...which is what ABC is banking on, no doubt.
  • An update...eight years later! Different network, too.

As part of a new overall deal with CBS Studios, Alex Kurtzman will spearhead a series adaptation of Stephen King’s short story “The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates”.
    FlakeNoirGazmanGNTLGNTHedda Gabler