Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Wake Me Up For Meals

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
My story was just accepted for the Warren Zevon tribute anthology Different When You're Scared. I don't have a publication date yet, but will keep you posted. It's probably a little different from what you expect of me in short fiction, but it probably lies closer to the stuff I like to write the most. It's about a con man and his misadventures during a caper in Australia, inspired in part by the Zevon tune Mr. Bad Example.

Comments

• So, this story was accepted three years ago for a non-paying themed electronic anthology that folded before it ever got off the ground.

What's a person to do? Rewrite and resubmit.

I stripped out all the Australia content, de-Zevonified it to an extent, and relocated it to the Boston area to meet the requirements of the Al Blanchard Award contest. While I didn't win, I received very positive feedback from the judges on it.

So I spiffed it up a little more and sent it out. And, today I received an acceptance letter for it.

Where?

Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. One of my top-tier, dream markets. The contracts arrived today.

Woo-freakin'-hoo!

• Wow!  The story aged well over the three years! ;)

Congrats! Ellery Queen is a top notch market to crack indeed.
  • I'm thrilled, to say the least.
  • Rightfully so, that's quite the feather in your cap.
  • Wake Me Up For Meals will appear in the May 2009 issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, on sale March 3rd
  • An EQMM subscriber who posts on a mystery newsgroup I frequent said, "I think with his story Bev has started a whole new genre. I'm going to christen it 'goodnatured hardboiled.'"

• Revealed in our May issue: The winners of the 2008 Readers Award! And the wide-ranging stories in this issue include a puzzling case of murder and "Identity Theft" for Jon Breen's detectives Berwanger and Foley; a tongue-in-cheek snapshot of a demonic bureaucrat's daily life in Hell, in Marilyn Todd's "667, Evil and Then Some;" a married couple falling apart after their move to France in Caroline Benton's "L'Etang du Diable;" a new case for Terence Faherty's 1950s Hollywood PI Scott Elliott, in "Unruly Jade"; and Christopher Bundy's "For the Love of Mary Hooks," an evocative historical tale about a Beatles-obsessed teen in small-town Georgia.

Jack Fredrickson's "For the Jingle" features PI Dek Elstrom investigating a vagrant's "accidental" death in a blaze; and Patricia McFall offers a different type of PI in Lane Terry, who tracks down a runaway girl not much younger than herself in "Off Paper." Bev Vincent's "Wake Me Up For Meals" centers on a grifter who charms his way onto a New Hampshire bus tour—and into cahoots with the tour guide. Brian MuirBlake Crouch's illustrates the bizarre relationship between two lounge performers in "Dummy." A camping trip is marred by past misdeeds revealed in "Shining Rock," and Argentinean Macéias Nunes makes his English-language fiction debut in our Passport to Crime department with a short, unsettling post-WWII tale.
  • You can also download the magazine at Fictionwise
  • I received my three contributor copies today, so it's official! I'm in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine!