Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Darbont: The Long Walk

edited November 2007 in General news
Tell most directors to take a long walk and they’ll most likely tell you to get lost. Tell Frank Darabont to take a long walk and he’ll tell you how he’s wanted to for nearly 30 years.

“That is one of the stories that I have been keeping in my hip pocket. One of Steve [King’s] weirdest and most provocative stories. I really love it, and I am going to make that in the next few years,” Darabont said of “The Long Walk,” a Stephen King classic originally published in 1979. “It is one that stays with you.”

King’s story takes place in a dystopian alternate America, where 100 random teenagers are chosen every year to walk from Maine down the East Coast. Each “contestant” has to keep up a constant speed of at least 4 miles per hour, and the last one standing wins. First prize? First prize is you get whatever you want. Second through Hundredth prize? Second through hundredth prize is you’re dead.

A wicked concept, but one that’s not inherently cinematic, says Darabont.

“It’s a hard story to pitch to a studio. Because they say ‘well what’s it about?’ Well it is about a bunch of kids walking and talking - uh okay,” Darabont laughed.

But emboldened by his approach on “The Mist,” where he utilized a less “polished” style than he’s typically known for, Darabont says he’s already got an idea on how to film “The Long Walk.”

“The thing I keep thinking about is that these guys never stop moving. So, I how do you get a really good close up. It would be an interesting challenge to not have people get just sick of watching the image because of all the movements. So, I think that there are certain rigs that stabilize the image even more so than a steady cam,” he revealed. “But [overall] I think a lot of run and gun, a lot of the guerrilla approach that I applied on ‘The Mist.’ It will again be letting those ragged edges show.

“It doesn’t really require a $50 million budget,” he added.

>>> Source

Comments

• Only three of the 13 men and women who started a marathon walking race in Boulder on Friday were still going this morning.

The "Extra-Mile Endurathon" tests the limits of human endurance by challenging participants to keep moving until the last person can't go one step farther.

The remaining walkers with the Boulder group, which set out at 5 p.m. Friday, have walked about 65 hours with 10-minute rests after each four-mile loop — which wraps around the Boulder Creek Path through downtown and along Pearl Street.

During each 10-minute break, walkers can use the bathroom and grab a snack. But they have not slept in three nights.

To win the top prize of $1,000, the last walker must go an extra mile after the second-to-last person drops out.

The endurathon's genesis is a Stephen King novel called "The Long Walk," in which a post-modern U.S. dictator chooses 100 boys ages 6 to 18 each year to walk from the border of Maine and Canada down the East Coast.

Walkers in the novel must maintain a constant speed of 4 mph or they're executed by soldiers. The winning boy gets a prize of anything he wants for the rest of his life

Boulder is the fifth city worldwide to host an endurathon. Buenos Aires, Berlin, Paris and Tokyo also have hold races, and Las Vegas is hosting a World Championship on Dec. 3, where the last four competitors from each event will compete for $100,000.

The world record for non-stop walking was set at the Buenos Aires event Nov. 30 when two contestants lasted for 102 hours.

To break the world record, the Boulder racers will have to keep moving past 11 p.m. Tuesday.

• I know you've been working on the adaptation of King's "The Long Walk," how's that progressing?

Darabont: "The Long Walk" is a bit on my back burner at the moment. I won't spend too many more years before I make it, it's going to be coming up I think pretty shortly. But I'll be making it, I'm sure, even more cheaply than "The Mist" because I don't want to blow the material out of proportion. It's such a very simple, weird, almost art film-like approach to telling a story. So let's do it honestly, let's do it that way. Let's not turn it into "The Running Man." So we'll make it down and dirty and cheap and hopefully good.

>>> full interview with Darabont at ShockTillYouDrop
  • Any Darabont adaptation of a King work is something to get excited about.