Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Long Road Home

edited November 2007 in Dark Tower
It's time to start talking about the 2nd Gunslinger comic series, as promotions for it have begun to appear.  Lilja has pictures of a bookmark for the series and Ain't It Cool News has the cover for the first issue.

Comments

• Pretty heavy foreshadowing, eh?

Someone recently wrote an article about both the Mist and the Marvel series, and they got the title of the series mixed up, calling it The Long WALK Home, and then proceeded to say "Not to be confused with The Long Walk," when they were the only ones confused!
  • I must be blind; I only just now noticed the "Ka" symbol in the titles of both The Gunslinger Born and The Long Road Home. That's a nice touch.

I wonder if that means all the graphic novel series titles will have an "O" in them? :).

HBJ
  • DARK TOWER: THE LONG ROAD HOME #1 (of 5)

Written by ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID

Art & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA

Sketch Variant Cover by JAE LEE

It's the return of the best-selling comic book series, inspired by Stephen King's epic The Dark Tower! Gunslinger Roland Deschain has seen the death of his lover Susan Delgado. And the Big Coffin Hunters who burned her at the stake are now in pursuit of Roland and his ka-tet Cuthbert and Alain. The friends are forced to flee into the desert with the deadly posse in hot pursuit….and Roland is in a coma! Don't miss this opening chapter starring the Gunslinger whose quest for the Dark Tower will shake the foundation of reality itself!

48 PGS./CARDSTOCK COVER/T+ …$3.99

• I've read this series is supposed to start in February 2008, but the bookmark says March. Any idea when the actual date will be?

John
  • According to this page: IN STORES: March 5, 2008
  • Bev, have you read that?  Although the title is The Long Road Home, it describes one of Laurell Hamilton's vampire stories!  Oops!

John
  • That's funny -- I didn't read the body of the message, just the top and bottom. Looks like a copy and paste goof!
  • THE DARK TOWER: THE LONG ROAD HOME #2 (of 5)

Written by ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID

Art & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by MIKE DEODATO, JR.

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

Roland’s spirit is trapped inside Maerlyn's sinister Grapefruit and is taken on a terrifying journey to the outer reaches of End-World...to the harsh domain called Thunderclap! Back in Mid-World, Roland’s ka-tet is pursued by the Hambry posse which intends to kill them all before they are able to cross the Xay River on their journey home. Revenge will soon be at hand for Eldred Jonas and the Big Coffin Hunters.

• Marvel is proud to present your first full-color look inside Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #1, arriving in stores at 12:01 AM, March 5th, 2008 (at participating comic stores)! The best-selling, chart-topping team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, joined by special guest variant cover artist (and Marvel Editor-In-Chief) Joe Quesada, present the second limited series inspired by Stephen King's epic Dark Tower series. Overseen by Stephen King himself, Dark Tower: The Long Road Home explores a chapter in Roland's life only hinted at in the novels!

The Long Road Home #1, goes on-sale in stores at 12:01AM, March 5th, 2008 (at comic stores participating in the midnight launch)! Otherwise the issue will hit shelves at your local comic and book stores during normal business hours.

View the exclusive artwork here

This will only be available exclusively on Stephen’s site through January 30th.

• The variant and sketch covers for issue 1 are now on my site.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • Have a question for those in the know. Besides ebay and perhaps camping out at a comic book store, what is the best way for one to get one's hands on all three versions of each issue with out breaking the bank?

Thanks!
  • Make a really good friend who works in a comic shop! I haven't been collecting the variants, so I don't have any insider tips, I'm afraid.
  • THE DARK TOWER: THE LONG ROAD HOME #3 (of 5)

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH

Pencils & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Variant Sketch Cover by JAE LEE

With Roland’s consciousness trapped within Maerlyn’s Grapefruit, his ka-tet companion, Alain, enters the mystical todash space in an attempt to rescue his friend. But as he and Roland flit in and out of alien dimensions, Cuthbert, the last member of their ka-tet, desperately tries to stave off a pack of slavering mutant wolves who have come to devour the unconscious Roland and Alain!

48 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory …$3.99

• rhinotough wrote: Have a question for those in the know.  Besides ebay and perhaps camping out at a comic book store, what is the best way for one to get one's hands on all three versions of each issue with out breaking the bank?

Thanks!

Another way is to wait for a few months. The prices usually come down quite a bit after the initial frenzy passes.

John
  • Legendary author Stephen King will give a live interview to discuss the state of comics tied to the release of Marvel Comics’ Dark Tower: The Long Road Home, the second story arc in his ground-breaking epic series Dark Tower on NPR’s esteemed program Talk of The Nation this Wednesday, March 12th from 2:30-3:00 PM EST.

“Marvel Publishing is grateful to Stephen for taking the time out of his busy schedule to talk about The Dark Tower comic series and comic books as a whole,” says Ruwan Jayatilleke, Marvel Entertainment Vice President of Development. “We’re excited that this will offer a chance to introduce this phenomenal epic---and medium of entertainment--- to NPR’s listeners as well as reward loyal Dark Tower fans with some highly entertaining radio!”

The second installment of the best-selling, critically acclaimed comic book series hit stores on March 5th with the continuing saga of the last Gunslinger in Dark Tower: The Long Road Home. The series reunites the all-star creative team of Dark Tower expert Robin Furth, The New York Times best-selling author Peter David, Eisner Award-winning artist Jae Lee and fan favorite illustrator Richard Isanove, who turned the first series Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born into the comic book event of 2007 -- making it one of the year’s top selling series.

Exploring a chapter in Roland's life that is only hinted at in the novels, Dark Tower: The Long Road Home is the must-have that no comic book or Dark Tower fan can miss, and no fan of comics can afford to miss King’s live interview on NPR!

To check local listings, please visit http://www.npr.org.
  • Listen to it online here
  • Thanks Bev. I'll listen to it tonight.
  • In 2007, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born topped sales charts with the release of its first groundbreaking issue, inspired by Stephen King’s renowned Dark Tower novels. Helmed by an all-star creative team including Peter David, Robin Furth, Jae Lee, Richard Isanove and Chris Eliopoulos, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1 ushered in midnight comic store openings, drove many readers to comic stores for the first time and was hailed as a classic by fans & critics alike. Marvel is proud to announce that the follow-up series has done the same, as Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #1 debuted as the #1 comic in March!

“The response to Stephen King’s Dark Tower comic book series has been phenomenal,” says Ruwan Jayatilleke, Vice President of Development, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. Creating compelling graphic fiction such as this is no mean feat. Marvel would like to thank not only the creative team for its inspired efforts and incredible perseverance but also the readers and retailers for supporting this epic series and being so vocal about it!”

“Dark Tower comics represent a creative perfect storm of sorts, and I can't imagine future installments without every last one of them,” raved Jesse Schedeen of IGN.Com. “Jae Lee's vision of Mid-World is beautiful and terrifying and ethereal all at once. Richard Isanove continues to prove he might well be the best colorist in the industry.”

Adam Chapman of ComixTreme.Com echoed these sentiments, saying, “I'm immensely intrigued and enjoying this series, and can't wait for the next issue to see what happens next.”

The action and excitement continue in Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #2, on-sale now, and Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #3, on sale this May! Plus, don’t miss Dark Tower: Treachery #1, arriving in September following the exciting conclusion of The Long Road Home!

Plus, don’t miss Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Premiere HC, collecting the first sold-out limited series that was a national best-seller and topped critics’ charts as one of the best comics of 2007!

For more on Dark Tower, please visit http://www.stephenking.com and http://www.marvel.com/darktower

• Dark Tower: Treachery #1???

Sounds very interesting!

John
  • It’s been an arduous journey for Roland Deschain and his ka-tet, but now they’ll come face to face with the embodiment of evil! Enter Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #4, as the chart-topping team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove continue the critically-acclaimed sequel to last year’s national best-seller, based on Stephen King’s seminal Dark Tower novels! Roland’s spirit confronts the Crimson King himself while Alain & Cuthbert fend off a pack of deadly wolves as they struggle to protect an unconscious Roland!

Marvel is also pleased to announce that due to an overwhelming demand, causing a sell-out at Diamond, Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #2 is going back to print! Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #2 Second Printing Variant features the gorgeous interior art of Jae Lee on a new cover!

As the penultimate issue of the series arrives, can Roland and his friends possibly triumph? Or does more tragedy await? Find out in Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #4! Plus, don’t miss Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Premiere HC, collecting the first sold-out limited series that was a national best-seller and topped critic’s charts as one of the best comics of 2007!

Release Date: Wed, June 4th, 2008
  • Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #4 Arrives And Wows The Critics!

Stephen King fans rejoiced as Dark Tower: The Long Road Home #4 hit stores this week and as this chart-topping, epic story continues, fans and critics agree: this series is a must-read!

“Like everyone else I know who has read the book, I have enjoyed every single issue and hoped this series of miniseries would get to continue for a long, long time, and it would appear I have gotten my wish,” said Eric Sunde of IGN.Com. “Not only can I not wait to see this series end, I can't wait to see what is coming after that…I am a firm believer that you must enjoy this series if you read any kind of fantasy.”

Giving the issue a five star rating, Erik Norris of ComicsBulletin.Com gushed, “Peter David writes a fantastic Dark Tower comic… The stylized art fits the mood of the book, and Peter David's writing is as sharp as ever.”

“As usual everything about this comic is well thought through, perfectly carried out and delivered in a nice package,” said Lilja’s Library.

The chart-topping team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove continue the critically-acclaimed sequel to last year’s national best-seller, based on Stephen King’s seminal Dark Tower novels! Don’t miss a single issue of Dark Tower: The Long Road Home and stay tuned for September’s hotly anticipated Dark Tower: Treachery!

For more on Dark Tower, please visit http://www.stephenking.com and http://www.marvel.com/darktower
  • Nice preview of Part 5