Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Special Delivery

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
This short story took second place in the story contest sponsored by Weird Tales at the World Horror Convention this past year. It was just accepted for publication in an upcoming issue of Cemetery Dance. Woo-hoo!

One thing I'd forgotten about this story is that I also read it at World Horror, my first public reading appearance. It derives inspiration from the "boys in the basement."

Comments

• Special Delivery is in CD #51, which is just now starting to emerge. In addition to my usual News from the Dead Zone column, I also have the "feature review" of Peter Straub's In the Night Room. I haven't seen the issue yet, but hope to soon.
  • I'm not in this issue but received two contributor copies anyways. Congrats on the story and review, Bev, I look forward to reading them!

There's also a full page back cover ad for Corpse Blossoms which you mentioned you have a story in.
  • Well done, Bev! :)
  • Great news Bev - congrats! I still have to receive my issue but will let you know what I think of your story.
  • My contributor copies arrived today, so subscribers should see theirs soon.
  • Mine was there when I came home tonight. Naturally I zipped right to your story and read it. Nifty little piece - congrats!

Forgive my ignorance but can you explain' the boys in the basement' reference?

Harlan Ellison wrote a somewhat similar story about a group of elves helping out a writer...
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: Mine was there when I came home tonight.  Naturally I zipped right to your story and read it.  Nifty little piece - congrats!  

Forgive my ignorance but can you explain' the boys in the basement'  reference?

Harlan Ellison wrote a somewhat similar story about a group of elves helping out a writer...

In On Writing, King talks about his muses. They aren't little fairies spreading magic dust, they're big, brutish, hulking guys who do the heavy lifting. I think Mike Noonan also talks about them in Bag of Bones.
  • Gotcha - I knew the reference was familar.
  • I was surprised by how little space it took up in the magazine -- only two pages. I had to check a couple of times to make sure they didn't leave part of it out!
  • Good story, Bev - that and the Stephen Laws piece are the only things I've read from CD #51 so far.

Blu
  • Glad you liked it!
  • "Special Delivery," which took second place in the short story contest sponsored by Weird Tales at the World Horror Convention in 2003 and was subsequently published in Cemetery Dance magazine, has been reprinted in Unnerving Magazine #14, which features some other names you might recognize on the front cover

NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT