Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

In a Country Churchyard

edited December 2007 in Short Stories
My short story "In a Country Churchyard" will be the featured tale at Horror World during the month of January. No admission charge, either!

Chris de Burgh fans may recognize the title as the name of one of his early songs, but the resemblance ends there. The bare bones (pun semi-intended) of the story were first written back in the 1980s but it has been extensively updated for this appearance.

Comments

• Cool - look forward to reading it.
  • And what a nifty story it is too!

The ending is stellar - and to die for! ;)
  • Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Here's the direct link.
  • [table][tr][td]

This story is available in the print/ebook anthology Tales to Terrify, Volume 1, edited by Lawrence Santoro, Harry Markov and Tony C. Smith.

If you are a listener, please know that you may have heard some of the stories in this book. But! This is not a “Best Of…” effort. “Volume 1,” as we call it here in the District of Wonders, represents stories our authors and the book’s editors—Harry Markov, Tony C. Smith, and yours in truth-and-terror—wanted to see between covers.

Some of the tales are by people you know well. Just take a peek at that cover. Joe R. Lansdale, Gene Wolfe, Christopher Fowler, Gary McMahon… AND some are by people you’ve probably heard of only on the show.

That’s the point.

That was my point, anyway. When our producer Tony C. Smith asked me to host Tales to Terrify, my exact word was, “No.”

The “yes” part of that response came about when I had a moment to think and, finally, convince myself that this barely ten year-old medium of podcasting was an ideal way to bring writers such as Martin Mundt, Alex Collier, Mike Penkas and others to the attention of a wider world. Fact is, we kicked off the show not with one of Joe’s, Gene’s or Chris’s stories but with Martin Mundt’s “Chair” a never-before published story by a writer few people outside of Chicago had ever read.

So here we are, not quite a year into our Friday night gatherings in the Nook and you are about to click that friendly button and get our first ink-on-paper production. Dig in. Read. Enjoy.

Then come back to the nook, relax, grab something warm to drink, snuggle with a loved one and listen. Pleasant dreams, hm.

—Lawrence Santoro, October, 2

Check out this table of contents!

"Jumbo Portions" by Christopher Fowler

"Wet Dog Perfume" by Michael Penkas

"Seen Through Flame" by Gary McMahon

"Just Around the Corner" by Alexei Collier

"In A Country Churchyard" by Bev Vincent

"God of the Razor" by Joe R. Lansdale

"Bread and Circuses" by Felicity Dowker

"Chair" by Martin Mundt

"Grandmother’s Road Trip" by Cat Rambo

"In The Dust" by Tim Lebbon

"The Last Few Days in a Life of Frost" by Joe Pulver

"Green Apples, Red Nails" by John Everson

"Just a Suggestion" by John Shirley

"Working for the God of the Love of Money" by Kaaron Warren

"Rat Time in the Hall of Pain" by Lawrence Santoro

"The Short Go: A Future in Eight Seconds" by Lisa L. Hannett

"The Goosle" by Margo Lanagan

"Lost and Found" by Mark Morris

"An Eye for an Eye" by Nancy Kilpatrick

"All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Piggy Class" by Nicole Cushing

"Big Rock Candy Mountain" by Weston Ochse

"Bluebeard" by Angela Slatter

"The Tree is My Hat" by Gene Wolfe

Available in hardcover, paperback or a variety of e-book formats.

[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]