Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Three Kings -- April 4, 2008

edited January 2008 in General news
The Three Kings

Stephen King, Tabitha King, and Owen King read from their work. A reception and book signing will follow.

Please note that the authors will be able to only sign one book per audience member.

Dates & Times: April 4, 2008 8pm

View the calendar

212 East Capitol Street, NE

Washington, D.C.

Tickets: $30

Buy tickets now

Comments

• Bev_Vincent wrote: The Three Kings

Stephen King, Tabitha King, and Owen King read from their work. A reception and book signing will follow.

Please note that the authors will be able to only sign one book per audience member.

Dates & Times: April 4, 2008    8pm

View the calendar

212 East Capitol Street, NE

Washington, D.C.

Tickets: $30

Buy tickets now

This is awesome and I have already purchased my tickets! It's been a long time since King came to the DC area - RBR performed here in 2002 I think. It was a few days before the Betts Bag of Bones signing! Maybe that was before '02???
  • I am so excited! I just nabbed tickets too. I wonder how many they will be selling?

Of course -- now come the questions about the signing.

The site says "Please note that the authors will be able to only sign one book per audience member." and "Please note: The authors will only sign one (1) book per person."

Does that mean "EACH author will only sign one book per person." or just one book, just one author -- meaning 99% will meet Steve and sadly have to ignore Tab and Owen?
  • I strongly suspect it means each author will sign one book per person. It wouldn't make sense to have a long queue in front of SK and no one in front of the other two Kings.
  • Hi All,

This is my first post on this board. I am writing to see if anyone knows how I might be able to get a ticket for the Three Kings event. I know it is sold out, but my sister lives in D.C. and she graduates from American University this year. I thought it would be a nice gift for her to be able to send her to this, but alas I am unable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I look forward to becoming a more frequent visitor to this site, as I am an avid King fan myself.

Cheers!
  • Welcome to the message board! If I hear of anyone offering tickets up for sale, I'll be sure to let you know. It seems to me there was someone at the forums at www.thedarktower.com who was looking to sell at least one, but I'm not sure. Keep checking back!
  • Looks like some tickets have been added: The Three Kings
  • Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get a ticket thanks to you.

You rock!
  • Excellent! Maybe I'll run into your sister there!
  • That would be nice, since she will be by herself. She could use someone to hang out with. ;)
  • The Kings were in fine fettle. Tabby made some reference to being late because a man was driving and wouldn't stop to ask directions without naming names. She read from a novel in progress called The Potter's Rib. Owen read a new short story called "Nothing is in Bad Taste" that was received very well. Steve read the section from Duma Key where Wireman describes la lotteria or what happened to his wife and daughter.

Some of the readings were "spicy" in terms of language, which led me to wonder if the Lutheran Church of the Reformation would have to be reconsecrated afterward.

Afterwards there was a brief Q&A that was as lame as these often are, where the questions imply the answers (Owen, did your father ever read you bedtime stories? Owen replies, "Yes.")

The signing was well organized. No inscriptions or photos, which sped things along. That part was held in the Folger Shakespeare Library, a very impressive building with lots of old manuscripts on display and tapestries on the walls.

I met up with the group from Cemetery Dance beforehand, so I was in good company. It was a lot of fun. I also got to spend some time in the Smithsonians earlier in the day and to take in the cherry blossoms, which were in full bloom.
  • Hey bev, glad to finally meet you! I had a teriffic time and got to meet several of my online friends and get reacquaintred with one SKEMER Friend who I have actually seen in person before! I chuckled at your commnet about the church needing "reconsecration", as those were my thoughts as well. it was odd to listen to description of sex acts on bear skin rugs and even the term mother fucker while sitting in a church pew! :-)
  • LOL at the board censor's rendering: crappity smacker!

It was good to meet you, too, albeit briefly. I didn't pay a lot of attention in the run-up to the event about who was going to be there. As a result, I didn't see a lot of the people I should have known through various message boards.

I liked it when Tabby put her hands over her ears in jest during Owen's story.
  • There are some media photos here from the Library of Congress visit. They're all watermarked but at least you can see 'em.
  • My sister said she had a nice time, and she was able to get my copy of The Gunslinger signed which is awesome. I just wish I could have gone too.
  • There's no doubt as to which son looks like which parent.
  • The Washington Post article says Owen gets his height from his father and his face from his mother.
  • Is Owen taller than Joe?
  • I don't know that I've seen them side by side as adults, but I suspect Joe is taller.
  • Here's my longer write up at CD's MySpace blog
  • Three Kings visit the Hill in The Capitol Hill Voice

“It’s great that people are paying me to do what I would do for free,” renowned writer Stephen King said in front of 500 eager fans at Reformation Lutheran Church last Friday.

The novelist, his wife and fellow author Tabitha King, and their 31-year-old son, Owen, all read from their works at the church. The sold-out crowd paid $30 each to jam into the church at 201 East Capitol St. SE.

The event -- the first time the three Kings have appeared together -- was the final reading of the annual PEN/Faulkner Writers in Schools program. The co-sponsors were the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress and the Folger Shakespeare Library. Earlier that day at the Library of Congress’ Coolidge Auditorium, the King trio discussed their works with 150 high school students from Cardozo High School, IDEA Public Charter School and McKinley Technology High School.

After an introduction from novelist and PEN/Faulkner Foundation board member Mary Kay Zuraleff, Tabitha King read from a work in progress, “Potter’s Rif,” a story involving 19th-century porcelain. Then Owen read a short story called “Nothing in Bad Taste.”

"

Finally, Stephen King read a passage from his latest novel, “Duma Key.” Because it was getting late, the question-and-answer session was limited to five queries: One fan asked which King-adapted films the author liked. Answers: “Misery,” “Shawshank Redemption” and “Stand by Me.”

After the reading, fans queued up across the street at the Library of Congress for a wine-and-cheese reception and book signing.

Fifteen-year-old Ricky Ruszin, who traveled from Baltimore with his parents to meet the author, waited patiently for about an hour, clutching his copy of “The Stand.”

“Ever since I saw King’s movie ‘Pet Cemetery,’ I started collecting first-edition King books,” Ruszin said.

Another eager fan was 21-year-old Jeremy Thomason, whose family drove for eight hours from Michigan to attend the event. Connie Rodriguez, who said she was the first in line for the reading, took a train to D.C. and arrived at the church at 2 p.m.

“King is my idol,” she said, adding that her favorite King work is his short story “Here There Be Tygers.”

At 60, Stephen King is among the world’s top-selling novelists. He has written more than 50 books and many have been made into films. The latest, “Duma Key,” is set in a fictitious seaside community. The setting is based on the King winter home in Casey Key, a Florida Gulf Coast barrier island. “[It’s Casey Key] if it didn’t have any houses,” he told The Voice.
  • On Book TV on C-SPAN 2

About the Program

Authors Stephen, Tabitha, and Owen King discuss their writing with Washington, D.C. area high school students. The King family reads from their latest works and takes questions from the students. This event was sponsored by PEN/Faulkner's "Writers in Schools" program and the Center for the Book and took place at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.

Sunday, May 4, at 10:00 PM

Saturday, May 17, at 8:00 AM

>> Full details
  • Here is the full video of the telecast online, plus a place where you can buy it on DVD.
  • Yes, Owen is one big dude.