Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Short Story Collection - Just After Sunset

edited January 2008 in General news
From the USA Today interview: His next book will be a collection of short stories, but he and his publisher can't agree on a title. He wants to call it Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse, which "could be a tough sell in some markets."

Comments

• He could always publish it with that title via Philtrum Press! ;D

John
  • Bev, can you confirm which one is correct: Unnatural Acts of Intercourse or Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse?

-justin
  • The title hasn't been decided yet. It could end up being something completely different.
  • i know, but i was wondering in regard to this particular proposed title, which one of the two was actually correct...

-justin
  • Most likely the second, with the "Human" in it.

I hope the title they decide upon will end up being as "special" as either Pocket Rockets or Unnatural...instead of being something like Stationary Bike: New Dark tales.

That's what happened last when One Headlight became Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales.

I hope the next collection comes next year so we can see more stories published in mags or anthologies this year. It would be pointless to have the collection come out this year, and then short after, a new story popping up outside the collection.

I really hope "A Very Tight Place" and "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates" and hopefully a few yet unheard ones will be out before the collection.
  • The official name of the collection is Just Past Midnight Sunset.
  • Really? Hmm. I must admit I'm disappointed. Party because it's so much like "Four Past Midnight", and partly because I liked "Pocket Rockets".

HBJ,

not understanding the book publishing world any better.
  • Correction -- it will actually be Just Past Sunset
  • I like Just Past Sunset a bit better than Just Past Midnight, but I'm also a bit disappointed since both Pocket Rockets and the one with Intercourse in it, are more clever and intriguing titles. Or something else, for that matter, there doesn't have to be any sexual meanings.

But, oh well, Just Past Sunset is okay. Now, let's have the stories...
  • I agree; Just Past Sunset is pretty good. I like it.

HBJ
  • Now we can all hope Just Past Sunset will include some unpublished stories too!

John
  • indeed - i'm worried it will be another Everything's Eventual, that is, including everything up to the point when the book itself is published (the newest ones being the two that are upcoming this Autumn...)

-jpb
  • Isn't the McSweeney anthology coming out this spring? With "A Very Tight Place"? March? April? i think I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Also, when King was in Australia last year, he mentioned he had an idea for a story taking place there, something about a magic swag (whatever a swag is).

Of course, that doesn't mean he's written it or that he ever will.

I also recall he once had an idea for a story about a girl/woman who hasn't aged over the years but grown.

And then an idea for a novel about some terrorists that kidnaps a baby. Maybe that's the long novel he's doing now?

It would be so cool if the new collection would include King's script for the musical, or something like that, so the collection would be special like Nightmares & Dreamscapes. You know, poems, teleplays, essays and the like.

• ah yes, my m istake - the mag is due in April. i guess there is the only the one due this Fall.

-justin
  • King is supposed to have a new story coming up in one of the fall 2008 issues of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I don't know the title of this story or what it's about.

John
  • Yup, that's the novella with the title "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates."
  • That title hasn't been finalized. Still waiting to hear on it.
  • Scribner

Hardcover, 400 pages

Publication Date: November 11, 2008

Our Price: $28.00

ISBN-10: 1-4165-8408-0

ISBN-13: 978-1-4165-8408-7
  • from King's website:

The Gingerbread Girl

Harvey's Dream

Rest Stop

Stationary Bike

The Things They Left Behind

Willa

Graduation Afternoon

N

The New York Times At Special Bargain Rates

Mute

Ayana

A Very Tight Place

(one bonus story) possibility

dunno if "N" is a typo or not. i hope it isn't, because aside from the possible bonus story, there would be no new material.

-justin
  • I've asked the question
  • No "N" is correct.

Lilja
  • That's what I was just told, too. A new world record for the shortest King title ever, beating It by 50%!

• Publication Date: November 11, 2008

This is the 10th anniversary of the publication of Bag of Bones, King's first book with Scribner.
  • Some marriages don't even make it that long.
  • Bev, you might want to change the title of this thread. It reads Just Past Midnight!

John