Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Overtoun Bridge

edited January 2008 in Short Stories
This is the name of the short story that Cemetery Dance will be publishing as a chapbook within the next few weeks. It won't be for sale--it will be like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, available for free to people who order from them. It's part of a series of chapbooks that include authors like Brian Keene and Sarah Langan.

I just saw the Jill Bauman cover art, and it rocks big time. Can't wait to share it.

Comments

• So this is one of your stories Bev?
  • Yes, this is a 5000 word short story.

Jill Bauman, by the way, did the illustrations for the Easton Press edition of The Dead Zone.
  • Here's the Cemetery Dance page for the chapbook. And the cover art:

• Ooooh! Very slick! Me like.
  • Me like, too! I have a copy up in my window here at work.
  • Your window must be getting very full by now. ;)

I see the story is not for general release but as a special chap book linked to ordering certain items.

How does that work for you down the road? Do the rights revert to you after a certain time period ie for re-publication elsewhere in an anthology? Are chapbooks viewed any differently than more traditional means of publication?

When possible I like to read your work but I'm guessing this one won't be available to the general public for awhile.
  • My contract with CD gives them limited rights to publish this chapbook in a fixed quantity. The limitation is essentially enforced by the number of signature sheets I signed a while back. I am free to resell the story even now as a reprint--the contract has no exclusivity clause.

The chapbook "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" was handled the same way -- never for sale, only available as a promo item. Overtoun is one of the latest series that also features stories by Brian Keene and Sarah Langan.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: My contract with CD gives them limited rights to publish this chapbook in a fixed quantity. The limitation is essentially enforced by the number of signature sheets I signed a while back. I am free to resell the story even now as a reprint--the contract has no exclusivity clause.

Ah, very interesting arrangement.
  • Overtoun Bridge will be reprinted (with a modified ending) in Tesseracts Thirteen

Tesseracts Thirteen invites you to delve into literature’s shadowy side!

This, the newest and most unusual of the popular and award-winning Tesseracts anthologies, utilizes the mysterious and bewitching number ‘thirteen’ to explore a new realm of innovative, thought-provoking and disturbing fiction. Award-winning authors and editors Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell have unearthed twenty-three stories of horror and dark fantasy that reflect a mélange of Canada’s most exciting known and about-to-be known writers. These eerie-genre tales range from the unsettling to the sinister. Inside you will find stories featuring:

The young, but not always innocent — ghosts; multiple births; comic book characters come to life

Romance gone terribly wrong — curses; mournful spirits; bringing back the dead

Creepy and twisted realities — mummies; windigos; post apocalyptic Canada

The authors in Tesseracts 13 span the country, from east to west coast, applying a particularly Canadian stamp to a classic and revered genre. Contributors include: Kelley Armstrong; Alison Baird; Rebecca Bradley; Mary E. Choo; Suzanne Church; Kevin Cockle; Ivan Dorin; Katie Harse; Kevin Kvas; Michael Kelly; Jill Snider Lum; Catherine MacLeod; Matthew Moore; Silvia Moreno-Garcia; David Nickle; Jason Ridler; Gord Rollo; Andrea Schlecht; Daniel Sernine; Stephanie Short; Jean-Louis Trudel; Edo van Belkom; Bev Vincent

Expert-in-the-field Robert Knowlton provides a fascinating and detailed overview of the history of horror and dark fantasy writing and publishing in Canada.
  • Cool. There is a local book launch in Toronto on Sept 12 at 3:00pm at the Bakka-Phoenix book store. I know some of the other authors and plan to attend.
  • Here's the info I have on the event:

Tesseracts Thirteen Toronto Launch

September 12 From 3pm

BakkaPhoenix Books

697 Queen Street West

Toronto ON M6J1E6

CANADA

416 963 9993 (Bakka Phoenix bookseller)
  • That is the one.
  • Tesseracts 13, the latest in the Tesseracts anthology series from Edge, will be launched at Worldcon/Anticipation in Montreal.

T-13—the only all horror/dark fantasy anthology in the acclaimed series—is edited by Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell. It features 23 dark, original and exciting stories, introductions by the editors, and a comprehensive history of Canadian horror and dark fantasy by genre expert Robert Knowlton.

Come join us:

Friday, August 7th

3 to 5 pm

Montreal Delta Hotel,

777 University Avenue

Suite 2815
  • The first review I've seen for the anthology.

Hey, hands down recommendation from me on Tesseracts 13. Whatever it takes to get this collection in your hands....you will not be disappointed!
  • Photos from the Worldcon event launching Tesseracts Thirteen.
  • Another review of T13

My favourite is, by far, "Overtoun Bridge" by Bev Vincent. In less skilled hands, the plot (dogs committing suicide by jumping from a haunted bridge) would have sounded preposterous. On the contrary, the author tells the story with such a subtlety and carves the leading character, an unhappy young woman, with such ability to create an atmospheric piece of uncommon beauty.
  • From Publishers Weekly:

Tesseracts Thirteen

Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell. Edge (SPD, dist.), $16.95 paper (336p) ISBN 9781894063258

Canadian horror writers shine in these twenty-three chilly, subtle and hard-hitting tales from the Great White North. Award-winning authors turned editors Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell have assembled a diverse feast of stories exploring the particular—and peculiar—psychology of Canada. Including everything from the icy tundra and the wendigo who populate it in Michael Kelly’s quietly terrifying “The Woods,” to the terror of ice with a mind of its own in Alison Baird’s haunting “End in Ice.” The strongest story of the collection uniquely diverges from the dominant culture; in Jill Snider Lum’s “A Patch of Bamboo,” a foreigner encounter with a Japanese ghost. Jen-Louis Trudel in “The Night Before the Storm” similarly zeros in on a haunted Syrian town on the night before it falls in a Christian invasion. While the stories sometimes feel a little thematically and stylistically similar and some suffer from vague endings, this installment of the Tesseracts series is overall strong, and essential reading for anyone interested in the status of Canadian genre writing. The book also includes an informative—at times tedious—essay by Robert Knowlton on the history of Canadian horror and dark fantasy. (Sept.)
  • Editors David Morrell and Nancy Kilpatrick were interviewed about Tesseracts Thirteen for Prairie Books Now
  • edited April 2022
    Tesseracts Thirteen Author Interview Including Kelley Armstrong, Chat and Contest. Event starts at 12:00 pm Central and runs all day and into the night. Contest runs until 11:59 pm Central on 3/4/10.

Description: Wednesday March 3rd, will be EDGE’s first multi-author event in a series of events here at Bitten by Books this month, featuring an interview, on-line book launch (complete with authors answering YOUR questions) and of course a contest.

The featured release is Tesseracts Thirteen: Chilling Tales of the Great White North, edited by Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell, and will include a group interview with several of the authors from the book, posted on the site.

You will be able to drop by, read the interviews, and then post questions.

But who will answer?

Various Tesseracts Thirteen authors, including Kelley Armstrong, will be dropping by on and off to post answers to your questions. More than one author may choose to answer your question - so make your questions something that all of the authors may answer in their own way.

RSVP below and get 25 entries to the contest when you show up on the day of the event. If you don’t show up and mention your RSVP AND ask a question, you won’t be entered into the contest.

Check out the EDGE website here and get your questions ready for the event. http://www.edgewebsite.com

Be SURE to give your friends this link: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=20418 so they can RSVP too!
  • edited April 2022
    A new review that concludes:

Twenty-three "Chilling tales from the Great White North." So the cover of Tesseracts Thirteen proclaims. And that[ch8217]s exactly what it delivers. Nearly all of the stories presented here are subtle, reveal their horrors slowly, sometimes not until the very last paragraph or closing sentence. There are no splatter fests here. No rampaging killers. No bloodbaths. What we do get are consistently well written tales dealing with the darker side of the human condition. "Chilling" tales of youth, of relationships, of mythology. A few of which, at the very least, are sure to stick with you after the last page is turned.
  • The ‘Overtoun Bridge’ in Bev Vincent’s story is a place where local dogs continually jump over the edge to their deaths, and a good time girl seeking comfort after being left by her husband is strongly tempted to follow their example. The supernatural element is both fascinating and intriguingly understated, serving as a catalyst for the human emotions, which is where the real concerns of the story lie.

-- Black Static 16
    FlakeNoir