Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

#1 -- but for how long?

edited January 2008 in General news
King of the list:

Stephen King reigns at No. 1 on USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list, but will he wear the crown more than one week? It seems doubtful: There's a very good chance he'll be toppled next week by John Grisham. King's Duma Key hit stores Jan. 22; Grisham's legal thriller, The Appeal, went on sale Tuesday and is not counted in this week's tally. This is the first time the two titans have released new hardcover novels within a week of each other. Sheer numbers tell the story: 955,000 copies of Duma Key are in print after three printings, while The Appeal has a first printing of 2.8 million. Of course, Oprah Winfrey's new book club pick — non-fiction A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, announced Wednesday — could be a sly usurper to the throne.

Comments

• "Thanks, everybody, for buying DUMA KEY and--even more--saying nice things about it. I haven't seen so few "flame throwers" on this website (and others) in...well, more years than some of you have been alive. Stay tuned, and keep checking this site for new material. It's coming..."

Steve
  • Wow, it will be interesting to see what the new material is...

BTW is that a new photo?

Lilja
  • I've never seen it before. They must have taken it when USA Today interviewed him recently.
  • Publishers Weekly:

HARDCOVER FICTION

1. Duma Key. Stephen King. Scribner, $28 Last Week: -; Weeks on List: 1

2. Plum Lucky. Janet Evanovich. St. Martin's, $17.95 Last Week: 1; Weeks on List: 3

3. A Thousand Splendid Suns. Khaled Hosseini. Riverhead, $25.95 Last Week: 2; Weeks on List: 36

4. People of the Book. Geraldine Brooks. Viking, $25.95 Last Week: 3; Weeks on List: 4

5. World Without End. Ken Follett. Dutton, $35 Last Week: 5; Weeks on List: 16

6. Beverly Hills Dead. Stuart Woods. Putnam, $25.95 Last Week: 4; Weeks on List: 2

7. Sword Song. Bernard Cornwell. Harper, $25.95 Last Week: -; Weeks on List: 1

8. The Shooters. W.E.B. Griffin. Putnam, $26.95 Last Week: 6; Weeks on List: 4

9. The Senator's Wife. Sue Miller. Knopf, $24.95 Last Week: 9; Weeks on List: 3

10. Blasphemy. Douglas Preston. Forge, $25.95 Last Week: 7; Weeks on List: 3
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: King of the list:

Sheer numbers tell the story: 955,000 copies of Duma Key are in print after three printings,

I thought I read somewhere the first printing was 1,500,000 copies.

John
  • That was the publicized number. The other might be the "real" number, or some other made up figure!
  • Okey dokey!

I should know better, by now, of trusting ANY publisher as to how many copies are printed!

John