Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Harming Obsession

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
I just learned that my story Harming Obsession received honorable mention in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, 16th edition. I am pleased. :) It's my first mention of any sort in that highly respected anthology. Future aspirations: actually get a story in one!

The story is online here (http://www.theharrow.com/2000/fiction/1harming.html) if you haven't read it yet, with a cool illustration by GAK.

Comments

• I've had a reprint request for Harming Obsession. It's a done deal so long as I can get The Harrow to take the story offline. It's had a good, long run there. I'm flattered by the request--it was my first published story and one that seemed to disturb people long after they read it.
  • You will let us know where it's going to be reprinted, right?

That story is VERY disturbing! :-/
  • Yep, once the deal is sealed, I'll let y'all know.
  • The editor granted me permission to tell you that "Harming Obsession" will be in the next issue of "Post Mortem" magazine (issue #5). I know it's available at Shocklines, perhaps elsewhere.
  • WOOOHOOO!! :)
  • Received payment last night for my contribution to Post Mortem #5, which will apparently be more of an anthology than a magazine.
  • The editor tells me he is shooting for late 2007/early 2008 publication for the anthology.
  • The anthology fell through, but I got to keep the money!

So I published Harming Obsession as this month's Halloween story on Storytellers Unplugged. Enjoy!
  • I sold Harming Obsession as a reprint to Wrong World today, so my very first story is also my most-published story! This is for their Halloween reprint collection "I'm Going to Tell You One More Time."
  • Here are the current contributors to the Halloween anthology mentioned above: Mort Castle, JG Faherty, John Grover, Brian Hopkins, Norma Jean Lipert, Willie Meikle, Scott Nicholson, Jacqueline Seewald, Bev Vincent
  • You sure are getting a lot of mileage - pun intended - out of that nifty story!
  • I sure am. I wrote a bit about in an interview question I answered for Michael Knost a few days ago pertaining to an AHA! moment when I felt like my writing had reached a new level.
  • Though I won't be able to attend NECON this year, the audio version of this short story (read by me) will appear on the commemorative CD to be given out to all attendees.

Necon 30 Audio CD Table of Contents

Matt Bechtel - Night of the Living Dead

Hal Bodner - Virtuoso

Tracy Carbone - Jacuzzi

J. G. Faherty - Slutty Dead Girls

John Goodrich - Champagne

Rick Hautala - Surprise

Althea Kontis - Foiled

Kevin Lucia - Willing Donor

John McIlveen - Paint It Black

Yvonne Navarro - Ascension

Weston Ochse - Fishes Dream Of Lovely Things

Monica O'Rourke - Huntin' Season

Mike Penncavage - Pitch

Dave Simms - In The Bosom of Madness

Mark Steensland & Rick Hautala - Lovecraft's Pillow

Bev Vincent - Harming Obsession

K. Allen Wood - Bye-Bye Little Doggies
  • Very cool. You have gotten a lot of mileage ;) from that story.
  • A blogger recorded herself reading Harming Obsession for Halloween.

I really love this one. It was introduced to me by a fellow horror enthusiast when I asked for help filling out the last of my list, and as soon as I read the final line I knew I had to include it. I love the kind of short story that is only vaguely menacing throughout, the kind where you think, yeah, okay, this isn’t so bad, and then the last line just hits you. Further evidence of this will be coming tomorrow, but trust me, don’t miss this one. It is really good. My reading, as usual, not so much, but what can you do?
  • edited March 2019
    Its next incarnation, in The Best of Cemetery Dance 2.
  • edited June 2020
    The Best of Cemetery Dance 2 just arrived at my door.  I'm going to read Harming Obsession but I have a sneaking suspicion I've read this before.  
    NotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • This is a quick, unsettling read.  And yes, I have read it before.  It's good, but dang! I was hoping for one of the many many many stories Bev has that I haven't read!

I know someone with OCD and we have had conversations about, "I would know if I hit someone, right?"  It's scary and sad.  I can't imagine what that would feel like to always have your nerves pinging. Always doubting.  Double checking. Flogging yourself.

I love this little piece of description:

"He could picture rain puddled around her little body--he was sure it was a girl--as dissolving candy dyed the water red and purple."

GNTLGNTcat
  • That was my first published story -- it won a contest. I'd seen an episode on Harming Obsession on one of the news shows like 60 Minutes and was inspired.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • It's a great example of writing wicked tight.  Every word counts.  Nothing wasted or frivolous.
    GNTLGNTcat
  • I think there was a word count limit for the contest, which always helps!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcat