Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Gerritsen, Grisham and King reading, June 7 Bangor

edited April 2008 in General news
I don’t often get involved in politics, but I believe there is a great deal at stake in this year’s election.  It is my pleasure to announce two very special events in Bangor, Maine on June 7th to benefit my friend Congressman Tom Allen’s campaign for the U.S. Senate.

Authors Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, and I will be attending a special cocktail reception at the Bangor Civic Center.  Immediately following that, we will be reading our favorite passages of some of the stories we have written – in front of what we’re sure will be a great audience at the Bangor Auditorium.  I hope you can join us for these special events.

Saturday, June 7th

Host Committee Cocktail Reception:  5:00-6:00 pm

Bangor Civic Center, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

General Admission Event:   7:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:00)

Bangor Auditorium, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

You can buy tickets to both events - or just one - by clicking here.

And all the proceeds will certainly go to a good cause.  Tess, John, and I believe that we need change in America.  What has happened to our country in the last eight years is downright scary - and believe me, I know scary.

In 2002, Tom Allen courageously stood up to the President and to members of his own party by voting against the Iraq War.  He supports opportunity for the middle class, energy independence, and affordable health care.  Electing Tom Allen to the U.S. Senate is an important step towards change for our country, and we are proud to support him.

I hope you’ll join us on June 7th.  Click here to purchase tickets now.  We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,

Stephen King

Proceeds from this event will benefit Tom Allen for Senate.  Funds from corporations, labor unions, national banks, federal contractors, or foreign nationals may not be accepted.  Contributions are limited by law to $2,300 per election, per individual.  An individual may give up to $2,300 for the primary election (before June 10, 2008) and up to $2,300 for the general election.  Federal law requires political campaigns to use their best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for each individual whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 in an election cycle.

Ticket purchasers must confirm that:

• They are not a foreign national who lacks permanent residence in the United States.
  • They are not a Federal government contractor.
  • This contribution is made from their own funds, and not those of another.
  • This contribution is not made from the funds of a corporation or labor organization.
  • This contribution is made on a personal credit card or debit card for which they have the legal obligation to pay, and is not made either on a corporate or business entity card or on the card of another person.
  • They are at least eighteen years old.
Contributions to Tom Allen for Senate are not tax deductible.

Paid for by Tom Allen for Senate

Comments

• I am pleased to announce a special contest for backstage passes to a reception and reading that I am hosting with Tess Gerritsen and John Grisham on June 7 in Bangor, Maine! This important event will benefit Congressman Tom Allen’s campaign for U.S. Senate.

By clicking here today and creating a Tom Allen Victory Page, you will be entered into a contest for free backstage passes to the events on June 7.

Using the new Tom Allen Victory Page, you can encourage your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to support Tom’s campaign. In a race this big when the stakes are so high, we are counting on you to help expand Tom’s network of supporters and help him reach his fundraising goals. The person who raises the most money through their page for Tom Allen for Senate and the person who has the most individual contributors through their page will each receive backstage passes to the event and get to meet John Grisham, Tess Gerritsen, and me in person!

Don’t delay – click here to create your own Tom Allen Victory Page and enter the contest today.

Buying tickets? Click here to get your tickets right now before it is too late!

Saturday, June 7:
    • Host Committee Cocktail Reception: 5:00-6:00 pm, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME
    • General Admission Event: 7:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:00 pm), Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME
    You can buy tickets to both events - or just one.

Tess, John, and I are looking forward to meeting you on June 7!

Sincerely,

Stephen King
  • Maine fundraiser postponed after King's remarks on military

A Bangor fundraiser featuring three best-selling novelists for Senate candidate Tom Allen has been postponed in the aftermath of a controversy surrounding Stephen King's remarks about literacy and the military.

King, who was scheduled to appear June 7 with John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen, expressed fear Monday that what was meant to be a literary event could have become all too political.

King took flak for comments he made to students on April 4 at the Library of Congress while stressing the importance for job seekers of being able to read. "If you don't," he said, "then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that."

In a statement relayed Monday by the Allen campaign, King said he doesn't want to be a distraction. Said King: "Since that might be the case now, it's best to do this event later, but it's just too good not to do it at all."

Allen spokeswoman Carol Andrews said people who bought tickets to the $25-a-person fundraiser can contact the campaign for a refund.

Allen, a sixth-term Democratic congressman, is challenging Republican Sen. Susan Collins.
  • The official site has posted two "Messages from Steve" sort of related to this topic.  The first, apparently posted 9 days ago but not noticed by me until today, is his response to somebody complaining about his remarks:

That a right-wing-blog would impugn my patriotism because I said children should learn to read, and could get better jobs by doing so, is beneath contempt. Noel Sheppard says, “Nice sentiment when the nation is at war, Stephen.” I guess he feels ignorance and illiteracy are OK when the country needs cannon-fodder. I guess he also feels that the war in Iraq has nationwide approval. Well, it doesn’t have mine. It is a waste of national resources. . . and that includes the youth and blood of the 4,000 American troops who have lost their lives there and for the tens of thousands who have been wounded. I live in a national guard town, and I support our troops, but I don’t support either the war or educational policies that limit the options of young men and women to any one career—military or otherwise. If you agree, find Sheppard on the internet, and send him an email:

“Hi, Noel—Stephen King says to shut up and I agree.”

Steve

The second, posted today, is a sort-of apology that segues into what SK really wants to talk about--literacy:

While serving as an ambassador for reading, I made a statement that was construed by certain right-wing bloggers and commentators as a knock on the US military. That wasn't my intention. I like the troops just fine, and respect the hell out of their brainpower. I know that most of them read, because I send them books when they ask, and a lot do. I will continue to provide this service. It's the war our politicians--many of whom have never heard a shot fired in anger--have sent them to fight that I have a problem with. But that is neither here nor there. What concerns me is how many high school students either read poorly or choose not to read at all, unless forced to do it. Part of the reason is cutbacks in educational money that the national government used to provide. Part of the reason has to do with mistaken initiatives like No Child Left Behind, which teaches kids to pass tests but not to think or to rejoice in the language arts. Most teachers loathe the No Child program, and I don't blame them. Kids who read poorly do poorly on their SATs and have bad or barely acceptable grade-point averages. Many will be faced with entry-level jobs like clerking and handing out burgers from the drive-thru window. The best option for many is the armed services, because they see a chance to continue their educations and/or learn a marketable skill. Many will wind up in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some will die, because this is an entry-level position where kids wind up getting shot at. I love their courage, I wish they were there for a better reason, and most of all I hope that my remarks won't detract from the real problem: too many kids in America read for pleasure on the text-screens of their phones and hardly anywhere else.

• As an officer serving in our Armed Forces (I am in the Navy), I must comment on the recent statements by Stephen King. In a nutshell, I am extremely disappointed.

While I completely understand the sour taste the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan have left in the mouths of many Americans, I do not understand how a large section of society can completely dismiss the hard working men and women who sacrifice of themselves because they understand that the freedoms we enjoy in this country come at a price.

For Stephen King to "dismiss" this group of people by making a statement that says our Soldiers are illiterate (because that is what he said, there is no getting around it, no matter what his appology says) is misguided and elitist. You would think that he would have learned from John Kerry when Kerry made similar statements several months ago and got raked over the coals by the media.

The simple fact of the matter is that the United States of America has the most educated Armed Forces the world has ever seen, and today's Sailor, Soldier, Airman, and Marine are more educated than ever before in our history. We are not living in the Vietnam era any more. There is no draft which allows college students (educated? literate?) to avoid service, leaving the "less educated" to be drafted. Every single member of today's military volunteered, and their reasons for volunteering are as varied as can be. Yes, educational opportunites (as Stephen mentioned is his statement) is one of them, but it is not the only reason. For the majority, it is because they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. They want to know they stood up to be count. To say, "I served my country." To defend our freedoms. Not because they can't read.

I realize this post may elicit some emotional responses from some of you, but I thought you should know how Mr. King's comments effect someone who is actually serving.
  • As a Vietnam veteran (I served in the field as support for the Korean marines from 1966 to 1967) I feel qualified to respond to the above post.

I simply believe King DID misspeak when he made his comments.  Anyone who has been exposed to him and his works knows he is not an elitist, which is what the comments seemed to indicate.

Furthermore, one of the things I served for was to support the Constitutional right of freedom of speech, no matter if I agree with it or not--and there's a lot that I DON'T agree with.  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

John
  • In my opinion, King was speaking as someone who lived through the Vietnam War era and saw how continuing to get an education warded off being drafted. I'm thinking of how he depicted life in the novella Hearts in Atlantis, where those who failed out because they became addicted to the game were sent to war.