Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Mr. Mercedes

edited November 2013 in General news
I'm starting a thread on this because I got an e-mail from Cemetery Dance offering it and then found that Amazon is too.  Release date is listed as June 3, 2014.  Length as of now is nearly 500 pages.

Comments

• From my Dec 12 News from the Dead Zone post:

Last Friday, King made an appearance at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell. During the day, he talked to a creative writing class and that evening he took part in a conversation with faculty member and writer Andre Dubus III. Dubus interviewed him for the first 30 minutes, and King took questions from the audience during the final 30 minutes. In the middle, he treated the audience to the world premiere of a new short story called “Afterlife,” which is not scheduled for publication at this time. Earlier in the day, he talked at length about the novel he is currently working on, describing the genesis and how it developed from a short story idea into a 500 page manuscript. Mr. Mercedes is more of a mystery novel and it has no supernatural elements. You can find video of the entire event at the UMass Lowell website.
  • Here's the Amazon description:

In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands.

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the “perk” and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.
  • Simple and yet, very evocative.
  • Yeah, I like it. Clean.
  • heheh Clean. With the requisite Stephen King twist.
  • edited February 2014
    Animated British cover -- I'm getting a sense that umbrellas are important!

• Will Patton has been cast as the narrator for the MR. MERCEDES audiobook. Will narrated the audiobook edition of DOCTOR SLEEP to great acclaim: he’s nominated for an Audie Award for Best Male Solo Narration and the DOCTOR SLEEP audiobook was chosen as the 2013 Audiobook of the Year by Audible.

Will is an award-winning audiobook narrator and his numerous film credits include Meeks Cutoff, Brooklyn's Finest, A Mighty Heart, Remember the Titans, The Punisher, The Mothman Prophesies, and Armageddon. He starred as Captain Weaver on the TNT series Falling Skies and won Obie Awards in the theater for his performances in Fool for Love and What Did He See.
  • edited March 2014
    Click to see full size
  • I turned in my review to CD a couple of weeks ago--should be out in May.
  • Look forward to it.  Story sounds great.  Revival sounds like it will be excellent too.
  • Thanks Willow!  
  • Step inside the mind of Mr. Mercedes -- his letter to Detective Hodges.
  • What a cool piece of marketing!  That is how you get it done!  The actor playing the narrator gave me a William Macy vibe.
  • edited May 2014
    The cover of EW's 5/16 issue promises an "exclusive excerpt from Stephen King" starting on page 38.  I presume it's from Mr. Mercedes.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/07/the-normal-heart-cover/

• Enter for a chance to win a Mr. Mercedes Hardcover or CD Audiobook delivered to you on publication day, June 3rd, 2014. 40 winners will be chosen at random to receive a hardcover or audiobook edition of Mr. Mercedes.
  • The Tracking Board reports that Temple Hill and Media Rights Capital have acquired the rights to Stephen King's novel Mr. Mercedes. The book will arrive on June 3.

Here's a synopsis: In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy. Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands. Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.

The film will be directed by Jack Bender (Lost, Alias, Under the Dome, The Sopranos). The deal was made by Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey (Twilight series, Safe Haven, A Good Day To Die Hard, I, Robot, Behind Enemy Lines), who will produce. They are currently meeting with writers as they try to develop the story of the film.
    Read more at http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/322388/Stephen-King\\s-Mr.-Mercedes-Set-To-Be-Adapted-Into-A-Film.htm#Q3KXpqw6EOIsQyER.99
  • Scribner and S&S Audio have released excerpts for Mr.Mercedes. Text: http://tiny.cc/32qyfx  Audio: http://tiny.cc/v4qyfx 
  • edited May 2014
    SK talks about incident that inspired Mr. Mercedes

• A rare interview for the book: Stephen King Talks about New Novel
  • Want even more Mr. Mercedes? Check out The Basement Interactive Experience exclusively on stephenking.com and follow Brady’s digital footprints in his basement control room. If you haven’t seen or need to refresh your memory, this would be a great time to watch the live action trailer!
  • MR. MERCEDES is the first novel in a projected trilogy. Hodges, Jerome, and Holly will return in FINDERS KEEPERS next year.

— Stephen King (@StephenKing) June 10, 2014
  • Check out the new "car ad" for Mr. Mercedes. The book debuted in the #1 position on the PW hardcover fiction list.
    Notaro