Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Fringe

edited February 2011 in Free for all
Bev touches on this series in his LiveJournal entries.

Fringe has really become my favorite TV show at the moment.  (Heroes is the poster child for the reverse.) This series is a blueprint for taking a TV concept and building upon its strengths.  The decision to move from stand alone stories and embracing serialized story telling really kicked the engrossment level for me.  There are those that prefer the stand alone style - curious how you feel Bev since you watch a fair number of procedurals, do you have a preference for a show type?  Your following of Lost shows you are not mutually exclusive to one format.

Fringe can get its freak on when it wants to but what I really like about it, is how well it handles the character relationships.

Comments

• It's a show that has really found its footing, especially once it started to embrace its mythology. Walter Bishop is hands down my favorite character on TV. I don't mind having one or two ongoing series on my TV roster, but not too many, and they have to be good ones. I dropped V and The Event not because they were serials but because they were bad! Even some of my favorite procedurals have ongoing elements -- or at least the best ones do. Take last week's CSI -- greatly enhanced by our knowledge of the relationship between Sarah and Gris.
  • Thanks Bev!

I much prefer serialized series with character growth. Makes for much more emotionally invested viewing.
  • I thought this week's episode was a bit weak. The whole bug plot was just an excuse to deliver two pieces of information:

SPOILERS:

1) Walternate has moral qualms about experimenting on children, unlike Walter, so he's not a total shit

2) Faux-livia is pregnant by Peter. Now that's a game changer, for sure.
  • I would add the alternate episodes are being used to flesh out all the alternate characters to keep them in the viewer's mind. When Peter activates the machine(s) the choice over which universe survives, if only one can, will not play so cut and dried then.

Really enjoyed the last episode - Subject 13 - which was another flashback episode and a nice bookend to Season 2's - Peter.

Answers that had been told before were now shown.  A few requisite twists were released. And, of course, more questions were raised.  :)
  • Me too. Truly a unique show that took risks that made it stand it out in a nearly homogeneous TV landscape.