Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Stand: Remake

124»

Comments

• Bev, take a stand here. I’m very interested in your thought as a creator.

i am seeing the deaf community is very angry with The Stand for not using a deaf person as a deaf character.

personally, i think this is getting ridiculous.   It is called “acting” for a reason.  
    GNTLGNTKurbenNotaro
  • ...I like the idea of the non-linear approach.....the thought process behind it is a solid one....
    Notaro
  • Bev, take a stand here. I’m very interested in your thought as a creator.

i am seeing the deaf community is very angry with The Stand for not using a deaf person as a deaf character.

personally, i think this is getting ridiculous.   It is called “acting” for a reason.  
    I'm sure there are a lot of hearing impaired actors who would have loved to have such a meaty role. I wouldn't think they're being considered for hearing roles.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • A few small gripes with first episode and changes but overall thought it was good. The kid playing Harold is spot on so far, except he is not overweight. Really loved the last scene, with Randall peaking over the baby's shoulder, very nice! The flashback take on telling the story is weird to me. My daughter was a little confused, so I wonder how it will translate to newcomers who have not read the book. But, very promising start! 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • 4 episodes in now and my opinion has changed. I do not like the out of order way the story is unfolding. And they are not fleshing any one out. No indication why Mother Abigail is good or Flagg is bad. The characters are just there, little to no backstory and so no chance to feel anything for them. The dreams have been practically non-existent. 

I am still enjoying the kid playing Harold. And the guy playing Tom is pretty great. 

But at 4 hours in, compared to 6 hour total run time of the original...the original told the story far better. I was really hoping with a longer runtime we would get more but it is a jumbled up mess. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited January 2021
    cat said:
    4 episodes in now and my opinion has changed. I do not like the out of order way the story is unfolding. And they are not fleshing any one out. No indication why Mother Abigail is good or Flagg is bad. The characters are just there, little to no backstory and so no chance to feel anything for them. The dreams have been practically non-existent. 

I am still enjoying the kid playing Harold. And the guy playing Tom is pretty great. 

But at 4 hours in, compared to 6 hour total run time of the original...the original told the story far better. I was really hoping with a longer runtime we would get more but it is a jumbled up mess. 
    I’ve pretty much just quit watching any Stephen king tv venture.  They almost always suck. Storm of the century is the one exception i can think of quickly that was excellent, but it was a screenplay for tv.  

Any others that came to TV that were good?
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • cat said:
    4 episodes in now and my opinion has changed. I do not like the out of order way the story is unfolding. And they are not fleshing any one out. No indication why Mother Abigail is good or Flagg is bad. The characters are just there, little to no backstory and so no chance to feel anything for them. The dreams have been practically non-existent. 

I’ve pretty much just quit watching any Stephen king tv venture.  They almost always suck. Storm of the century is the one exception i can think of quickly that was excellent, but it was a screenplay for tv.  

I did like the Mr. Mercedes series a lot. They did a good job. Season 3 made some changes to the Finders Keepers story but it was still pretty good, and the 3 seasons overall were great. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • cat said:
    cat said:

I did like the Mr. Mercedes series a lot. They did a good job. Season 3 made some changes to the Finders Keepers story but it was still pretty good, and the 3 seasons overall were great. 
    I haven’t read book 2 or 3 so have avoided Mr. Mercedes. Happy to know it was done well.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ....Mr. Mercedes was good and as far as King projects....Golden Years and Kingdom Hospital were very enjoyable.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatNotaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....Mr. Mercedes was good and as far as King projects....Golden Years and Kingdom Hospital were very enjoyable.....
    Was the Outsider any good?? Saw they made a series of that one?
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Just started watching The Stand. Seen first episode. I think they overdid the jumping back and forth narrative a bit. I have read the book several times so can fit all the pieces where they should be but i wonder how would someone who hasn't read the book grasp it? Confused? Very possibly!!
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....Mr. Mercedes was good and as far as King projects....Golden Years and Kingdom Hospital were very enjoyable.....
    ....I haven't seen that one my friend.....I have to be in bed so damn early for work, I don't get to watch a hell of a lot of shows....and if we record them, I STILL end up not watching because there's always a project to do or a laptop to stare at.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbencatNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    Just started watching The Stand. Seen first episode. I think they overdid the jumping back and forth narrative a bit. I have read the book several times so can fit all the pieces where they should be but i wonder how would someone who hasn't read the book grasp it? Confused? Very possibly!!
    .....from the comments, this is not a good doorway into the King Universe....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbencatNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    I thought the first few episodes were well done but after that it kind of went off the rails. No disrespect to the actress who played Holly but she was not Holly. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTNotaro
  • cat said:
    Kurben said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    I thought the first few episodes were well done but after that it kind of went off the rails. No disrespect to the actress who played Holly but she was not Holly. 
    the stand Memes  GIFs - Imgflip
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotarocat
  • I still have plenty complaints about this remake but episode 7 was solid. It followed the book almost perfectly. My main issue remains...if you do not know this story, you have to be completely lost with this retelling. But, taken alone, episode 7 is the best one. I think only one episode left. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I still have plenty complaints about this remake but episode 7 was solid. It followed the book almost perfectly. My main issue remains...if you do not know this story, you have to be completely lost with this retelling. But, taken alone, episode 7 is the best one. I think only one episode left. 
    Two left, including the one King wrote that tells what happens after the end of the book.
    catFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I still have plenty complaints about this remake but episode 7 was solid. It followed the book almost perfectly. My main issue remains...if you do not know this story, you have to be completely lost with this retelling. But, taken alone, episode 7 is the best one. I think only one episode left. 
    ....I didn't read it, but saw that there's an article out there explaining the sequencing issue....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatMarsha
  • The Stand [Blu-ray]
    Run time : 8 hours and 30 minutes
    Release date : October 5, 2021 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarsha