Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Wind Through the Keyhole

edited December 2011 in Dark Tower
Donald M. Grant is taking pre-orders for the new Dark Tower book here.

They've also posted Jae Lee's cover art and a preview of the forward and first five pages.

Comments

• Here's the email announcement:

Welcome to issue #75 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

19 December 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE[ch8200]DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

1. WEB[ch8200]ORDER[ch8200]PAGE

2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT[ch8200]OPTION

3. ARTIST[ch8200]EDITION

4. DELUXE[ch8200]EDITION

5. SCRIBNER[ch8200]TRADE[ch8200]EDITION

6. TRADE[ch8200]EDITION[ch8200]SLIPCASE

7. PRINTED[ch8200]FLYER

8. ORDER[ch8200]CONFIRMATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

1. WEB[ch8200]ORDER[ch8200]PAGE

We are now accepting advance orders for both the Deluxe and

Artist Editions of THE[ch8200]DARK[ch8200]TOWER:[ch8200]THE[ch8200]WIND[ch8200]THROUGH[ch8200]

THE[ch8200]KEYHOLE at:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Please read the rest of this Newsletter before placing your order.

2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT[ch8200]OPTION

Because of the state of the economy if your order totals over

$300 we are willing to accept a 1/3 deposit with your order, 1/3

a month later the final 1/3 will be charged when the order is

shipped. If you wish to send checks you may send three post--

dated checks. For foreign orders we will put the full shipping

amount in the final charge.

3. ARTIST[ch8200]EDITION

There is a 5,000 copy Artist Edition signed by Jae Lee and issued

in a stamped slipcase. Retail price is $75.00 plus shipping.

Unlike the Artist Editions of the DARK[ch8200]TOWER 5, 6 & 7 there is

no limitation on who may buy this edition.

4. DELUXE[ch8200]EDITION

Stephen King has agreed to sign only 800 copies of a Deluxe

Edition which is also signed by Jae Lee and issued in a stamped

clamshell tray case. Retail price is $350.00 plus shipping.

As usual there is a much greater demand for our Deluxe Editions

than copies available, so in keeping with our policy of supporting

our long time customers, the S&N Deluxe Edition can be ordered

only by those who have a S&N THE LITTLE SISTERS OF

[ch8200]ELURIA below # 801 (you must still own it when we ship THE

WIND THROUGH[ch8200]THE[ch8200]KEYHOLE or your order will be can-

celled and any depost/payment refunded and the Deluxe Edition

sold to the new owner.).

We will then do a lottery drawing approximately six weeks after

the Deluxe Editions are shipped for remaining available copies

but as we expect there to be very few copies available the lottery

will be restricted to owners of Numbered THE LITTLE SISTERS

OF[ch8200]ELURIA between 801 and 1,250.

LOTTERY: Send us a POSTCARD (NOT an email or letter)

which reads:

“Please put me in the lottery to purchase a copy of the signed &

numbered Deluxe The WIND THROUGH THE[ch8200]KEYHOLE. I

have # ____ of THE Little Sisters of Eluria.” Include

your name, address, phone number, and if you wish, email

address.

REMEMBER, only send in ONE post card per copy of The

Little Sisters of Eluria that you have. If we receive

more than one request from anyone we will throw them ALL

away. We want everyone to have an equal chance.

5. SCRIBNER[ch8200]TRADE[ch8200]EDITION

Scribner has announced their release of a trade hardcover

edition of THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE

KEYHOLE on April 24, 2012.

6. TRADE[ch8200]EDITION[ch8200]SLIPCASE

We will be producing a slipcase for the Scribner Trade Edition

which will match the three slipcases we produced for the first

seven Dark Tower books:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-slipcases.html

This will not be shipped until 6-8 weeks after the Trade Edition

is released so that we can be sure it will fit properly. Cost is

$30.00.

7. PRINTED[ch8200]FLYER

We are doing our usual full-color printed flyer but felt it made

more sense to mail it in January rather than just before

Christmas.

8. ORDER[ch8200]CONFIRMATION

If you send a check and the check is cashed we have received

your order. If you sent an order via our website you will receive

as confirmation an email titled “RE[ch8200]WWW[ch8200]Form Submission”. As

we expect to receive 1,500 or more email orders within 24 hours

of sending this Newsletter you may not receive your confirma-

tion for several weeks. If you call or email us this will only delay

getting orders ready.

We have a small staff and will be hiring extra help but it will take

time to process orders, especially for people expecting a specific

numbered copy. We appreciate your patience.

Please do not call or email us for further details as we will just

refer you to our web site and suggest you remain subscribed to

our email newsletter.

We will send out another Newsletter when we know when ship-

ping will begin.

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

• Here is the promo page at King's site, with a pdf of the first five pages
  • This is beautiful. Check out the "very large" version to see all the detail.

The artwork by Rex Bonomelli details a lush world yet unseen by the Constant Reader. To view the cover artwork and for more information regarding Wind Through the Keyhole, please visit the promo page (link above).
  • STEPHEN KING TO NARRATE THE AUDIO EDITION OF THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE: A DARK TOWER NOVEL

Includes an exclusive audio excerpt from King’s forthcoming novel, Doctor Sleep

NEW YORK, February 28, 2012 – International bestselling author Stephen King will read his new audiobook, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE, the first time in more than a decade that King will narrate a full-length audiobook. Simon & Schuster Audio will publish THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE simultaneously with the Scribner hardcover and ebook on April 24, 2012. THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE audiobook will also offer an exclusive audio preview of King’s upcoming novel, DOCTOR SLEEP, the eagerly-awaited sequel to his classic, THE SHINING, to be published in 2013. Stephen King will also read the excerpt from DOCTOR SLEEP.

“I’ve spent a lot of time with the character of Roland Deschain and the Dark Tower universe over the years. Now that I am revisiting that world, it felt like a fine time to lend it my voice,” said King. “We’re thrilled that Steve wanted to return to the studio for THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. As his audio fans know, he is a terrific narrator,” says Chris Lynch, Executive Vice President & Publisher of Simon & Schuster Audio. “His choice to preview his follow up to THE SHINING exclusively on audio speaks volumes about his support for the format. We couldn’t be happier.”

The last time King recorded a full audiobook was his 2000 memoir, ON WRITING. He has also narrated his novel, BAG OF BONES and portions of HEARTS IN ATLANTIS and JUST AFTER SUNSET. Sure to captivate fans of the DARK TOWER series, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE audiobook is a rich and enchanting tale that listeners will not soon forget.

Source: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/audiobook/wind_audio_press_release.pdf
  • Entertainment Weekly has a 19(!) minute excerpt of SK reading "The Wind through the Keyhole" here.

UPDATE: It's actually about 10 minutes long that then plays again to make 19 minutes.
  • Thanks!

John
  • The Publishers Weekly review:

King returns to the Mid-World of his Dark Tower series in this gory but hopeful set of nested tales. As gunslinger Roland Deschain and his companions quest toward the Dark Tower, Roland tells a story of his early days as a gunslinger, hunting down a murderous shape-shifter on a rampage. Within that tale is a fairy tale Roland tells to a young boy about Tim, a very brave boy tricked into a dangerous quest by an evil man. Tim's adventure is pitch-perfect, capturing both the feel of Mid-World and the perilous nature of a fairy story. Its placement within the quest works beautifully, and it propels the story of the shape-shifter and the child who holds the key to its identity. Even those who aren't familiar with the series will find the conclusion both satisfying and moving. This gripping novel is sure to put King back on the bestseller lists.
  • There is now an official Facebook page for The Dark Tower Series: http://www.facebook.com/TheDarkTowerSeries
  • The Kirkus Reviews critique is below.  I should probably remind everyone that all reviews are potentially spoilery.

Note:  The review has been copied unedited, including an obvious error.

The bestselling novelist scales down his literary ambition with a return to the Dark Tower series. Though King has expanded his thematic terrain and elevated his critical reputation in recent years (11/22/63, 2011 etc.), he remains a master of fantastic stories spun from a very fertile imagination that seek to do nothing more (or less) than entertain. Some readers might be surprised at this return to the narrative that King had apparently concluded with the massive The Dark Tower (2004), the seventh book in the series. Yet rather than extend and revive the plot in this installment, he mines a seam from earlier in the series, suggesting that "this book should be shelved between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla...which makes it, I suppose Dark Tower 4.5." He also makes a point of reassuring readers new to the series that they can start here, that the novel can be understood as a stand-alone title (with just a little contextual background, which he summarizes in a couple of paragraphs). Short by King's standards, the novel draws inspiration from tales of knighthood and Old West gunslingers, as its story-within-a-story (within a story) details the rite-of-passage heroism of Roland Deschain, who saves a terrified boy in Mid-World from a shape-shifting marauder. "These tales nest inside each other," explains Roland at the outset, as he prepares to recount a story through which its characters drew courage and inspiration from a story. If it weren't for the profanity which liberally seasons the narrative, it could pass as a young adult fantasy, a foul-mouthed Harry Potter (with nods toward The Wizard of Oz and C.S. Lewis). It even ends with a redemptive moral, though King mainly concerns himself here with spinning a yard. Will more likely serve as a footnote for the many fans of the series than a point of entry to expand its readership. Copyright Kirkus 2012 Kirkus/BPI Communications.All rights reserved.
  • Cool.  8-)

I made the back cover of the UK edition of Stephen King's The Wind through the Keyhole! It will be published in the UK on 24th April, 2012. 

Stephen King Fan Faces
  • Hi Guys, it's been awhile but I had to pop in to chime in as I also made the cover of the UK book!!!!! I'm so excited!!! ;D
  • Excellent -- and welcome back!
  • Maccanuck wrote: http://www.stephenkingfaces.com/#!i=6034

This is me!

Great to hear and see from you again!
  • Thanks Bev, it's good to be back and thank you for the UK review, It sounds like a fantastic book to have ones picture on!

• Thanks Lou, it's nice to see you too!
  • The reviews continue to be positive, as shown by these two.

Booklist review.

Library Journal's review:

King, Stephen. The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. Scribner. Apr. 2012. c.320p. ISBN 9781451658903. $27. FANTASY

King’s new “Dark Tower” novel, which takes place between volumes four and five of the series that ended in 2004, is a story within a story within a story. Roland, Susannah, Eddie, and Jake, accompanied by Oy the billy-bumbler, are overtaken in their journey to Calla Bryn Sturgis by the Starkblast, a storm of catastrophic proportion. As they wait out the storm in a deserted village, Roland entertains the others with the tale of one his first quests as a young gunslinger, to capture or kill a shape-shifting “skin-man” terrorizing the inhabitants of the remote town of Debaria. The story leads seamlessly into the retelling of a tale told to Roland by his mother, a fairy tale so dark as to put the Brothers Grimm to shame. Both stories are filled with enough action, suspense, and even poignancy to fill a much larger work of fiction.

Verdict In his foreword, which gives a brief series background that will allow even the uninitiated thoroughly to enjoy this book, King says that he was “delighted to discover my old friends had a little more to say,” and for that we all say thankya. Fans will be lining up for this one. [See Prepub Alert, 10/23/11.]—John Harvey, Irving P.L. TX

• Stephen King's longtime editor, Scribner Editor-in-Chief Nan Graham, and King's longtime editor and agent Chuck Verrill, of Darhansoff and Verrill, talk about King's new novel, The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel, coming from Scribner next week. https://www.facebook.com/TheDarkTowerSeries
  • My copy should be arriving any day.
  • I downloaded the audio version this morning. I'll listen to it after I'm done with 11/22/63, which has taken me about 4 months given my short commute!
  • NEW YORK, May 3 (Reuters) - Stephen King's newest book, "The Wind Through the Keyhole," jumpted to the top of Publishers Weekly best-sellers list on Thursday.

The list is compiled from data from independent and chain bookstores, book wholesalers and independent distributors nationwide.