Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

"In the Tall Grass" New King/Hill story in Esquire

edited May 2015 in General news
Joe Hill tweets: did a story for the June/July Esquire with my dad. Beyond that, I can't say nuttin until @Esquiremag sez so.

Comments

• When can we expect this issue to hit the stores?

Lilja
  • Soon -- the May issue came out on April 18th.
  • Esquire has announced it is to publish a new story collaboration by Joe Hill and Stephen as part of its launch of an e-book series called "Fiction for Men." "In the Tall Grass" will be published in two parts, the first to appear in the June/July issue and the conclusion in the August issue. The works will be available only in the print and iPad editions of the magazine.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Soon -- the May issue came out on April 18th.

Thanks! Sounds like an interesting story.

Lilja
  • I enjoyed the first raft and could not tell who wrote what.

Had that, 'The Raft,' vibe to it so I am very interested to see where it goes in the 2nd half.
  • I'm waiting until I get both parts before I read it. Just me.

John
  • Yes, I've seen other people take the same approach.

I'm treating it like a mini-version of the serialized release of The Green Mile. Definitely anticipating the second half! 8-)
  • I waited until I had all the parts of The Green Mile before I read it, too. I guess I just want to read the whole thing at once.

John
  • One of the things I enjoyed most about The Green Mile was the fact that a whole bunch of us (on alt.books.stephen-king) were reading it at the same time, at the same pace. No one could read ahead or spoil anything for anyone else. It was a lot of fun speculating about what was going to happen next.

The August issue of Esquire is now available, apparently. Several people are selling it on eBay. Not sure if it's in stores yet, but people report seeing it somewhere.
  • I saw it in a library. Part 2 is longer than part 1--ten pages, from 84 to 93.
  • I received my copy last night. Haven't had a chance to read part 2 yet, though.
  • My twitter review: "In the Tall Grass" is a cautionary tale about what might befall those who listen to Rush (the band) while on a road trip.

Joe Hill responded: Yep. That was pretty much my thoughts about the story exactly.

(Joe's hatred of Rush is well known to anyone who follows him on Twitter)
  • I got my copy yesterday, but have not yet started to read the story. Looking forward to it, though!

John
  • In The Tall Grass will be released as an audio book and an eBook in October.
  • Well I have to be blunt and say after the setup in the first part, the second half was a let down.

This felt like a literary version of one of the Children of the Corn sequels.
  • Pub date for eBook and audio is October 9. Listen to an audio excerpt here
  • edited May 2015
    Vincenzo Natali to direct Stephen King & Joe Hill's In the Tall Grass

Vincenzo Natali, the brilliant director behind CUBE, SPLICE, and HAUNTER (not to mention episodes of NBC's "Hannibal" and Netflix's "Hemlock Grove) is set to bring us an adaptation of Stephen King and Joe Hill's novella IN THE TALL GRASS, which will be kicking off pre-sales in Cannes next week, according to Screen Daily.

Natali adapted the screenplay from the novella by Stephen King and Joe Hill, which first appeared as a story in Esquire. Paradigm represents US rights to the project.

Steve Hoban of Copperheart, which is producing in association with Mosaic Media, serves as producer and Gloria Fan is executive producer. Principal photography is scheduled for September in the Toronto area.

>>> Source
  • Huh. Will be intrigued to see how this turns out.
  • ... cuz the second half of the story underwhelmed.

This may turn out to be the next Children In the Corn franchise.  ;-)
  • James Marsden is in talks to star in the Netflix adaptation of thriller In the Tall Grass.

The 2012 novella, written by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill, follows a sister and brother who venture into a vast field of grass in Kansas after hearing a boy's cries for help. The siblings soon discover that there may be no way out.

Splice filmmaker Vincenzo Natali is writing the script and is set to direct. Steve Hoban, Jimmy Miller and M. Riley will produce the film, which is scheduled to go in front of cameras this summer in Toronto.

Marsden, who can currently be seen in the second season of HBO's Westworld, is repped by CAA and Authentic.
  • Construction crews were busy working on what appeared to be an old abandoned church on a rural Perth South road Monday, but it’s actually a new building being assembled for the filming of a King thriller.

Officials are being tight-lipped about the project, but a memo sent to Perth South public works staff confirmed it’s for the filming of In the Tall Grass, based on a novella written by King and his son, Joe Hill.

In early May, Netflix announced it picked up the rights to the thriller, which will be directed by Vincenzo Natali. It was reported to be filmed in Toronto this summer.

Multiple interview requests to Netflix, Copperheart Entertainment, the In the Tall Grass production team, and on-site construction crews were denied.

“We can’t really talk about it unfortunately. We’re bound by the studio,” a Copperheart spokesperson said.

Perth South public works staff said they were unable to discuss the project, as did Scott Abercrombie of nearby Gildale Farms.

“I know lots about it but I should pass (the request) on,” Abercrombie said.

Abercrombie did confirm the church was not on his property.

“Our farm is the farm with the tall grass (across the road),” he said.

The white building, designed to appear rundown, only has a facade and a right side. The left and rear portions are just framing.

“It’s half a church – for people that aren’t sure,” a construction crew member joked.

Another crew member said they’ve been working on the project for about three weeks.

Perth South Mayor Bob Wilhelm said he didn’t know much about the project, but it’s creating a buzz.

“I know it’s certainly created a lot of interest,” he said.

Several people stopped to take pictures Monday.
  • The Vincenzo Natali-directed thriller In The Tall Grass is getting underway in Toronto for Netfix, and the film stars Patrick Wilson, Laysla De Oliveira and Harrison Gilbertson. Pic is based on a short story by Stephen King and son Joe Hill that was published in Esquire Magazine. Netflix acquired the rights during Cannes, when James Marsden was originally attached. Scheduling conflicts knocked him out of the lead role.
  • "In the Tall Grass" and "Throttle," King's two collaborations with Joe Hill, will be included in Hill's forthcoming collection Full Throttle.