Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

"In the Tall Grass" New King/Hill story in Esquire

2»

Comments

• edited July 2019
     There’s finally a release date for In the Tall Grass, Netflix’s upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King‘s horror novella of the same name. The film was announced over a year ago, and filming took place last summer, so we’ve been waiting for this moment. Just in time for the spookiest month of the year, In the Tall Grass is coming to Netflix in a matter of months: October 4, 2019, according to a press release sent to Decider.

>>> Source
  • The upcoming Netflix adaptation of King and Joe Hill’s novella, In the Tall Grass, is officially headed to the streaming service on October 4, 2019.

For those who haven’t read the short story co-written by King and his son, In The Tall Grass focuses on two siblings, Becky and Cal, who follow the cries of a young boy into a field in Kansas, hoping to rescue him. Instead, they discover evil lurking in the tall grass that separates and traps them. They become lost in the weeds, but they quickly realize they’d rather not be found. Directed and written by Vincenzo Natali (whose sci-fi horror credits include Cube and Splice), In the Tall Grass stars Laysla De Oliveira as Becky and Avery Whitted as Cal. Patrick Wilson, Rachel Wilson, Harrison Gilbertson, and Will Buie Jr. also star, as Ross, Natalie, Travis, and Tobin respectively.

In the Tall Grass is the third King adaptation to come from Netflix—following 1922 and Gerald’s Game in 2017—and for Natali, who also adapted the script, working with the famed horror author and his son was a dream come true. “I love Joe Hill as a writer, I’m a huge fan of his. And I grew up, like so many others, reading and being inspired by Stephen King,” Natali told Decider. Though he didn’t have much direct interaction with King, he did work closely with Hill throughout the creative process.

“Their attitude is really great,” he said. “They’re not disruptive, though they have the right to be. When you sign the deal with them, they can reject the script, do all kinds of things, but they never exercise that right—or at least, they never did for me. They were just supportive. In one instance, Joe even wrote some dialogue for me, and I think it’s one of the most memorable speeches in the whole movie.”

In the Tall Grass will premiere at Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas at the end of the month before heading to Netflix on October 4. The original novella was published in two parts in Esquire magazine in 2012. Natali assures fans that, while the short story has been expanded on to fit a feature-length film, it’s “very faithful” to the original.

“Almost to the letter—as much as these things can be—I filmed the story,” Natali said. “But it is the seed for something larger. It veers off in a certain way that I can’t really describe, but, fundamentally, it is the short story. And it contains the most shocking thing in that story—which, if anyone’s read it, they will know exactly what I’m speaking of. We don’t pull punches.”

See exclusive images here.

• h/t Larry Fire:

Independent Bookstore Day is a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April.  

To celebrate, a short story never before published in book form by Stephen King and his son, Joe Hill will be released on April 24th! The ONLY way to get this book is to visit a local Independent Bookstore

In the Tall Grass was originally published by Esquire magazine and released as a film on Netflix in 2019. Now it will be released as a 5×7 perfect-bound paperback that can be purchased for $12.99.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....would be nice to have, but alas-Cambridge and surrounding environs don't have indy booksellers.....would love to support the effort, but cannot....dammit.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....would be nice to have, but alas-Cambridge and surrounding environs don't have indy booksellers.....would love to support the effort, but cannot....dammit.....
    Can you order online from an Indie?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....would be nice to have, but alas-Cambridge and surrounding environs don't have indy booksellers.....would love to support the effort, but cannot....dammit.....
    Can you order online from an Indie?
    ....good question, maybe Bev can put me in touch with one he favors......
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • Murder By the Book in Houston is my favorite -- not sure if they're getting copies of this or not, though. Any indie bookstore will do online orders these days, I'm sure.
    NeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Murder By the Book in Houston is my favorite -- not sure if they're getting copies of this or not, though. Any indie bookstore will do online orders these days, I'm sure.
    I thought it said you had to be a walk in for this project? (very SKesque) I may be wrong about this though?
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....if that's the case, I'm screwed.....would happily send money to someone to help an ole GNT out....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....if that's the case, I'm screwed.....would happily send money to someone to help an ole GNT out....
    I might be completely wrong about that... 💙
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • ....somebody keep me looped in....I obviously already have the tale, but want to support an Indy....
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler
  • I looked on Bookshop.org and didn't see it listed. That's a good site to purchase from if you want to support indie stores. I also looked on Water Street Books, the indie store where I buy all my Joe Hill books, and I didn't see it listed on there yet either.
    Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Grant87 said:
    I looked on Bookshop.org and didn't see it listed. That's a good site to purchase from if you want to support indie stores. I also looked on Water Street Books, the indie store where I buy all my Joe Hill books, and I didn't see it listed on there yet either.
    ....thanks old buddy.....just keep my fingers crossed.....
    NeesyFlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87Notaro
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    I looked on Bookshop.org and didn't see it listed. That's a good site to purchase from if you want to support indie stores. I also looked on Water Street Books, the indie store where I buy all my Joe Hill books, and I didn't see it listed on there yet either.
    ....thanks old buddy.....just keep my fingers crossed.....

No problem! I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • ....and I'll keep mine crossed........errrrr, ummmm......yeah......
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda Gabler