Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson to star in Cell

edited October 2012 in General news
Screen Daily is reporting that John Cusack (1408, Stand by Me) is getting back into the Stephen King business, signing to star in Cargo Entertainment's Cell. The site says that former Dimension Films president of production and 1408 executive Richard Saperstein will produce through his Genre Company alongside colleagues Brian Witten and Shara Kay.

Comments

• Good choice.  Even though Cell is not on of my favorite King books but given the zombie craze a la The Walking Dead it's no surprise that this got greenlighted. Or is that greenlit? :-/
  • Not my favorite, either. I'd love to see how they set up the opening scene, though. That's the best part of the book.
  • Yes totally agree with both points.
  • 5176654C457A7D70767D67130 wrote: I'd love to see how they set up the opening scene, though. That's the best part of the book.
    Yes! Such an intense scene!! I loved the book up through the first night or so. He lost me with the whole "hive mind" aspect, but for once I actually did appreciate the ambiguous ending.
  • Screen Daily is reporting that Cargo Entertainment has attached Paranormal Activity 2‘s Tod “Kip” Williams to direct John Cusack. Production is set to start in May.
  • According to Ms. Mod: the final screenplay was written by King.
  • 4364775E57686F62646F75010 wrote: According to Ms. Mod: the final screenplay was written by King.

I wonder if we'll see a printed version of the screenplay offered somewhere.

John
  • There haven't been that many of his scripts that ended up in print (legitimately) that I can think of.
  • I agree. That's why I'd like to see this one!

John
  • On the eve of the Cannes Film Market, Benaroya Pictures and Miscellaneous Entertainment’s newly formed international sales company, International Film Trust, has added a new title to their Cannes slate: the Stephen Kingadaptation Cell, starring John Cusack.

IFT has acquired the remaining international territories for Cell with Benaroya Pictures now on board to finance and co-produce.

The film will be directed by Tod "Kip" Williams (Paranormal Activity 2) and shooting begins this September.

>>> Source
  • Samuel L. Jackson Reunites With John Cusack for Another Stephen King Adaptation

According to a press release, Jackson "will play Tom McCourt, an engineer and former soldier who escapes from Boston along with Cusack’s character, Clay Riddell, after a mysterious pulse, transmitted by cell phones, spreads like a virus through the human population."

The film will be directed by Tod "Kip" Williams (Paranormal Activity 2).
  • Samuel L. Jackson Unaware Cell Character Is Gay

Actor Samuel L. Jackson had no clue his new character in the upcoming movie adaptation of Stephen King's Cell is gay.

The Pulp Fiction icon will reteam with his 1408 co-star John Cusack to bring the apocalyptic thriller, about a virus spread via a cell phone pulse, to the big screen, but Jackson was caught off-guard when questioned about playing fictional homosexual engineer and former soldier Tom MCCourt.

Speaking to New York Post columnist Cindy Adams, he says, "I have no idea. I haven't read the book. Is that character gay in the book?"

It is not yet known if director Tod Williams will keep the character true to the novel, but if he does, it will be Jackson's first time portraying a gay man.

The film is due to begin production in January 2014.
  • Isabelle Fuhrman, who has played memorable baddies in both The Hunger Games and Orphan, has landed the female lead opposite Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack inThe Cell. The film is an adaptation of the Stephen King thriller novel about an apocalyptic event that amounts to a pitch heard by anyone on a cell phone at a certain moment in time, which turns them into zombified beings with a herd mentality. Fuhrman will play the lead role of Alice.

>>> Source
  • Another casting announcement: Stacy Keach (“Nebraska”) will play the headmaster of a prep school where the survivors stop along their way. Filming is under way in Atlanta.
  • From Dread Central

• edited February 2014
    first cast photo from CELL - http://dailydead.com/?p=70733

cell First Look At Stephen Kings Cell Rings In
  • edited February 2014
    John Cusack posted the following photo from the set:
  • Now that Cell, adapted from King’s zombie novel, has wrapped, he teased what he could about the film.
    “The movie is not totally close to the original screenplay that I wrote,” he said. “But I’ll tell you what, the end of it is so goddamn dark and scary. It’s really kind of a benchmark there.”

>>> Source
  • Clarius Entertainment has acquired US rights to the film, which was produced by Benaroya Pictures and The Genre Company. The plan is to release it theatrically later this year.

“CELL is an exciting addition to our slate, with solid pedigree both in front of and behind the camera and a wild ride of a story for our cell phone-dependent culture,” said Louise Chater, Clarius’ acquisition head. “Our team is very much looking forward to working with these filmmakers and bringing the film into the US marketplace.”

Read more at http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/new-look-at-cell-starring-samuel-l-jackson-and-john-cusack-939#D62V4yalPIjiDhtI.99
  • edited February 2015
    Hmmm, wonder if Isabelle' character meets the same fate as in the book....
  • “CELL” set for FrightFest world premiere

World premiere part of the Film4 Frightfest lineup at Scotland’s Glasgow Film Festival, which runs February 17-28. Scripted by King and the LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT remake’s Adam Alleca, and directed by PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2’s Tod Williams, CELL features Cusack as an artist who teams up with other survivors to stop a virulent cell-phone signal that has turned the population into mindless killers. Isabelle Fuhrman, who played the title role in ORPHAN, and Stacy Keach also star; a U.S. distributor has yet to be nailed down.
  • Change of plans: Due to circumstances beyond our control, mainly a shift in release dates, we have had to pull CELL from our line-up.