Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Recent appearances and interviews

Comments

• Not so recent:

Lou_SytsmaHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Oh! Didn't know King was doing book reviews!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • He does one for NY Times every now and then.
    Hedda GablerLou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Great interview.
    BevVincentFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • I like how it focused on writers and writing.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • I like how it focused on writers and writing.
    Exactly.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • I feel so bad for foreign markets. The interviewer talked about his “new book” Billy Summers and clearly Stephen talks about his new book, Fairy Tale.  

Stephen for France! Come on publishers, you can do it!

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • Steve contributes a tribute to Peter Straub in the October 2022 issue of Locus Magazine (page 73), including a photo of Straub (holding his son Benjamin) and Steve from 1977.
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Not recent:

Title"Stephen King and the Psychology of Horror" - Public Conference
    CreatorMilwaukee Public Library
    Contributor(s)King, Stephen, 1947-; Silberglitt, Burton S.; Swearingen, Richard
    DescriptionThe audio from an episode of the Milwaukee Public Library's television show, "Public Conference". Recorded on August 25, 1980 and aired on August 31, 1980. Features prominent author Stephen King, local psychiatrist Dr. Burton S. Silberglitt, and librarian Richard Swearingen.
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • One of the things he discusses in this interview is the concept behind 11/22/63.
  • Stephen King Talks About ‘Mr. Harrigan’s Phone’ and So Much More

In an exclusive interview, the bestselling author opens up about his relationship with Hollywood.
  • New at Slate: Stephen King and the Mysterious Check Mark -- What the acclaimed author thinks about Twitter’s changes, Elon Musk’s dramas, and what social media is actually good for.
    Hedda GablerLou_SytsmaGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited May 2023
    Maine Library Association Fundraiser Featuring Stephen and Tabitha King

Join us for an evening with Maine authors,  philanthropists, and library advocates, Stephen and Tabitha King.

The Kings really need no introduction. They have created many books for readers to enjoy over the past several decades, and have given generously to Maine communities through the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation, which has awarded grants to many libraries around the state of Maine. They are major supporters of the work that libraries do, and the ideals our profession upholds.

Proceeds from this event will help to fund the work we do, in support of our mission to promote and enhance the value of Maine libraries and librarianship, to foster cooperation among those who work in and for Maine libraries, and to provide leadership in ensuring that information is accessible to all citizens from their libraries. 

The Evening's Schedule:

6:00 - 6:30: Cocktails and music with cash bar (each ticket holder will receive 1 drink ticket)

6:30 - 7:15: Dinner (please select your entree when registering)

7:15: Keynote with Stephen and Tabitha King

Music to follow, courtesy of Rockashop Sound System

*Please note: The Kings will not be giving autographs or signing books at this event.*

GNTLGNTnot_nadineHedda GablerLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • Tinyurl is great for these kind of links - https://tinyurl.com/mr3b9fef
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I’m working on my phone while on vacation. Normally I would have turned it into a hyperlink but I’m lazy when I post from the phone. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • edited June 2023

Cormac McCarthy remembered: ‘His work will sing down the centuries’

Stephen King: ‘There is no way to convey the loss I feel’

Early this year, while Cormac McCarthy was still alive, I had an idea for a story called The Dreamers. I wrote it while reading Cormac McCarthy’s penultimate book, The Passenger. The story that emerged was very much under the influence of McCarthy’s prose. I was, in fact, almost hypnotised by The Passenger, as I was when reading such McCarthy novels as All the Pretty Horses and his masterpiece, Blood Meridian. Because my story was very much in McCarthy’s style, I dedicated it to him.

Every story is a locked door. Sometimes – not always, but sometimes – style is the key that opens it. That was the case with The Dreamers. At one point in it I wrote this:

He looked like a bird colonel I knew over there in that other world watching through his binoculars as the F-100Ds and Super Sabres of the 352nd came in low over Bien Hoa, pregnant with the firejelly they would drop in an orange curtain, burning a miscarriage in the green, turning part of the overstory to ash and skeleton palms. The men and women too, them calling nahn tu, nahn tu to no one who could hear or care if they did.

This is not McCarthy, I simply do not have his talent, but it would have been an impossible passage to write, or even think of, without him. It shows not just his influence but the spell he cast over both his readers and those writers of lesser abilities who admired his work. He was, simply put, the last great white male American novelist.

Although his prose undoubtedly owes something to William Faulkner, he eventually became Faulkner’s equal, if not his superior. From Blood Meridian (1985) on, his prose takes on an almost biblical quality, hallucinatory in its effect and evangelical in its power. If you have read him, you understand. If you have not, there is no way to convey the loss I feel even though he died at a good age, a patriarch’s age, and did his work with a patriarch’s unflinching strength. He is a loss to the American imagination, but as McCarthy himself might have said, “I gave you the books and the books remain, undimmed and undaunted.”

>>> Source

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaHedda GablerKurbennot_nadine
  • Beautiful. 
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbennot_nadine
  • Help! I Wrote to Prudie for Advice and Stephen King Answered

This week, we’re helping you round out your summer reading lists by asking some of our favorite authors to step in as Prudie for the day and give you advice. This is part of our Guest Prudie series.

Today’s columnist is American author and “King of Horror” Stephen King, whose renowned for his horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, crime, science-fiction, and fantasy novels, including ItThe ShiningCarrie, and many more. His iconic books and stories have been adapted into numerous films and television series—including The Boogeyman which was released just last month. His new novel, Holly, hits shelves this coming September.

We asked King to weigh in on an endless litany of chores, in-law battles, and swamped librarians

GNTLGNTHedda Gablernot_nadineLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  •  Awesome
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

This week, we’re helping you round out your summer reading lists by asking some of our favorite authors to step in as Prudie for the day and give you advice. This is part of our Guest Prudie series.

Today’s columnist is American author and “King of Horror” Stephen King, whose renowned for his horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, crime, science-fiction, and fantasy novels, including ItThe ShiningCarrie, and many more. His iconic books and stories have been adapted into numerous films and television series—including The Boogeyman which was released just last month. His new novel, Holly, hits shelves this coming September.

We asked King to weigh in on an endless litany of chores, in-law battles, and swamped librarians

My responses would be:

Dear Want To Be a Team,

Fuck that guy. Lazy, selfish bastard. 

Dear In-law Outlaw,

Fuck those in-laws. Plan your own damn getaway assholes. 

Dear Not Here to Entertain Friends, 

Fuck these clueless idiots. Get new friends. 
    not_nadineKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • edited July 2023
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  :D 
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT

My responses would be:

Dear Want To Be a Team,

Fuck that guy. Lazy, selfish bastard. 

Dear In-law Outlaw,

Fuck those in-laws. Plan your own damn getaway assholes. 

Dear Not Here to Entertain Friends, 

Fuck these clueless idiots. Get new friends. 
    ...proof once again that our beloved Deej is a fuckin' people person....
    KurbenFlakeNoirnot_nadineHedda Gabler