Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Recent appearances and interviews

Comments

• Steve first wrote about Microwave Dave and the Nukes in his final EW column.

FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • ....Steve being Steve.....giving back in a small way to him, but gargantuan to others....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Next Wednesday:

NeesyKurbenHedda GablerGrant87GNTLGNTMarsha
  • When you run a Stephen King podcast, what would be the proverbial white whale to your Ahab? I'm sure there are a multitude of bucket list all-time epic guests to chat up on the subject. But there can be only one white whale. In this instance, the King himself. And it's happening. This is not a drill, folks. Next week, Stephen King, namesake of The Kingcast is joining your hosts Scott Wampler and Eric Vespe to talk about... King things.

Let's ask our humble hosts a silly question. How are you guys feeling about this Stephen King episode?

Wampler: We've been doing this show for the past, oh, two years or so now, and it only just occurred to us that we should probably invite our podcast's namesake on for a chat. We are beyond thrilled that Mr. King accepted, that he was so generous with his time, and that neither of us embarrassed ourselves too much while shotgunning questions at him. All hail the true Master of Horror.

Vespe: As someone who picked up his first Stephen King book in the 6th grade (it was Cujo, by the way) it has made my day/week/month/year to have the master himself bless The Kingcast. It was the dream when Wampler and I were first pitching ideas for the podcast and I'm honestly still in shock that it actually happened. I'll be forever grateful to King for being so generous with his time.

I'm envisioning Wampler and Vespe's heads exploding in complete unison, Scanners style the moment they stop recording. Get caught up on The Kingcast here and be sure to tune in when the King hits the Kingcast airwaves Wednesday, March 2nd.

NeesyGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarsha
  • That should be a great interview! I'd love to hear him on The Losers' Club podcast too.
    BevVincentGNTLGNTNeesyMarsha
  • .....I'm right there with him...just not in his kitchen....dammit....
    Hedda GablerNeesyMarsha
  • The day has finally come. The Kingcast boys are joined by the one and only Stephen King to discuss his books, the adaptation process and some incredibly nerdy Dark Tower questions. Topics discussed: the funny story behind the publication of The Dead Zone, King's limited experience with podcasts, what the hell kind of headspace was King in when he wrote Revival, what makes a good Stephen King adaptation and a deeper look at The Dark Tower.
    GNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • Okay, personally, i felt this was one of the best interviews of King I’ve heard in years. It had real substance. I appreciate the hosts doing due diligence in asking questions that promoted more conversation and avoided as best as possible, well-covered ground. 

But, I got a feeling that King was lured under false pretenses when he makes the comment, paraphrasing—
     “I thought we were gonna talk about Gwendy.”
    It almost sounded like a chastisement, delivered good-naturedly.  

And, he casually drops that he has to go, very poetically I might add, and they didn’t pick up on that so he was then forced to say, “I gotta go guys.” 

But it’s totally understandable.  I would’ve taken the shot too,  thinking it might be the only shot I would ever get, and then I would cling to his leg as he was walking away. 

As a person counting down days, I didn’t like hearing him talk about his own dwindling time. His phrasing immediately made me feel that something is going on with him. 

He does that often. He will use a word or verb or tense that is giving us more information if you pay attention. 

GNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • He's very good about establishing a time-limit in advance and then being the one to enforce it when the time has expired.

This interview has been in the works for quite some time, so I don't think there were any false pretenses. I think he was just busting their balls.
    KurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • He's very good about establishing a time-limit in advance and then being the one to enforce it when the time has expired.

This interview has been in the works for quite some time, so I don't think there were any false pretenses. I think he was just busting their balls.
    Ah. Ball busting. 🤣
    GNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • edited March 2022
    I do want to add, Bev’s recent interview with King and Chizmar was good, but topic specific.

This had a bit of a lot of things. Generalized discussion. 

When they talked about Cujo— i agree so
    much with what he said about Dee Wallace’s performance.  She was amazing. 

This is, I think, the only movie I have ever walked into without knowing what it was about. That is honest. I had no idea this was about a dog. I didn’t know the book, i hadn’t seen any advertising, i saw no images. And you might ask, were you living under a rock? Yes. Yes I was. 

Someone mentioned to me SK had a movie out and I thought, oh scary, gotta go.

the screen goes dark. The film starts. For christ’s sakes — it’s about a dog.  I would have never seen this if I had of known .  And as brutal as it was, I’m glad i didn’t know. Great performances. Read the book soon after. 

KurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • Not at all recent, but very interesting. A vintage interview + Q&A at University of Georgia, 1980

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyMarshaNotaro
  • King opens up on being 33 years sober and his faith while admitting regrets over past: ‘There are things I would do differently’

>>> Source
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • ....I applaud the sobriety.....you hate the disease, not the person.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • This is an amazing interview. Other than the old chestnut about the woman in the grocery store, this covers all-new territory.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Now we’re talking. This was a powerful interview.  And me being me, I teared up many times. 

I love that this interview was done by a learned man, not really familiar with stephen’s work.  Tapping into something deeper and way more meaningful. 

Listening to this, I found it a shame that Stephen doesn’t speak more about his addictions and his path to recovery. I guess they take this don’t ask don’t tell in a different direction in AA, but I think he could help so many people because he’s walked the walk. 

Like scott says, you hate the disease not the people, but I have never understood drug and alcohol addiction.  Listening to him speak, I came closer to understanding

And I now sort of  have a crush on the archbishop. 

KurbenBevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Great interview!! Thanks for sharing it.
    Hedda GablerBevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • You posted a little video clip of this interview on twitter.  Is the whole video available?  I'm not seeing it but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • That link is taking me to audio only. Not seeing where i can watch them???
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • I believe it is audio only
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNotaroNeesy
  • edited March 2022
    2Cellos Meet Stephen King At Boston, MA. Concert 3 Dedicated Tour Highlights And Backstage 3/30/22

NotaroNeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT