Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Recent appearances and interviews

Comments

• Stephen King answers 5 questions from the Bangor Daily News

We’re always curious about what best-selling author and Bangor resident Stephen King is doing. To find out, the BDN emailed him five questions Thursday morning. Sixteen minutes later, we had his answers.

1. What are you working on today?

“Just thinking about a new story. That’s always the first step.”

2. What keeps you awake at night?

“Nothing, currently.”

3. Are you a glass half empty or half full person?

“Three quarters full. I like to relish the good stuff and take care of the bad stuff as best I can. Or let it go, if I can’t. Most of my worries look silly a month later.”

4.What is it about Bangor that keeps you here, at least some of the time?

“I love the neighborhood, and seeing people I know at the Corner Store, the Fairmount, the baseball field, and downtown. Not to mention strawberry pancakes at Nicky’s Cruisin’ Diner.”

5. If you could have a 5-minute conversation with anyone living or dead, who would it be?

“I’d talk to Lee Harvey Oswald (but I’d keep him at a distance, and make sure he was unarmed). It wouldn’t take five minutes, just a four-word question: ‘Did you do it?’”
  • King will be on CBS Morning today.
  • The tire-changing story that starts at 20" or so is hilarious!
  • edited June 2016
    Rolling Stone interview: Stephen King on Trump, Writing, Why Selfies Are Evil

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/stephen-king-on-trump-20160609#ixzz4B7gReC73
  • Excellent! Was afraid this was never going to be availalble!
  • Stephen King: On The Origin Of Scott Landon’s Driving Music

Stephen King’s 2006 novel, Lisey’s Story, focuses on the character of Lisey Landon, widow of famous writer Scott Landon. King wrote the following letter to explain the mix tape he created for Landon (playlist below), which was discovered in Landon’s 1974 Ford Falcon.
  • This was very cool!

Off to listen to this playlist!
  • Stephen King to Open Main Stage at National Book Festival

The Library of Congress announced today that Stephen King will open the Main Stage of the 2016 Library of Congress National Book Festival with a presentation and recognition by the Library of his lifelong work promoting literacy. Tickets will be required for the King presentation. Tickets will be free and will be issued electronically beginning Sept. 14. Please check the Library of Congress website at loc.gov/bookfest for more details.

Tickets are not required for other presentations or activities at the festival.

The National Book Festival will be held Sept. 24 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. The King presentation will be from 11 a.m. – noon on the festival’s Main Stage, which will be located on the third floor. There will not be a book signing.

"Due to Stephen King’s popularity, we anticipate the volume of interest will exceed seating capacity," said festival co-director Guy Lamolinara. "A ticketed process will make for the most orderly and fair opportunity for Mr. King’s fans to see this presentation."

Seating will be first-come, first-served. Ticket holders must be seated by 10:30 a.m. Holding a ticket does not guarantee entry.
  • This is fun: Scribner's Katie Monaghan reports on Steve's recent tour, where she was his entourage of one.
  • Great article.
  • (Please don’t) send in the clowns: Stephen King reacts to Carolina scare

The Bangor Daily News decided to ask Bangor’s resident clown expert, Stephen King, about why people find clowns scary. If anyone would know, he would.

“When I wrote my novel ‘IT’, I set it in Bangor, because it’s a town with a tough and violent history. I chose Pennywise the Clown as the face which the monster originally shows the kiddies because kids love clowns, but they also fear them; clowns with their white faces and red lips are so different and so grotesque compared to ‘normal’ people,” King wrote this week in an email to the Bangor Daily News. “Take a little kid to the circus and show him a clown, he’s more apt to scream with fear than laugh.”

King attributed the clown scare in the Carolinas to a recurring phenomenon: the supernatural bogeyman who lurks in the shadows. Phantom clown scares have happened before, most notably in the 1980s in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Arizona and a few other places.

“I suspect it’s a kind of low-level hysteria, like Slender Man, or the so-called Bunny Man, who purportedly lurked in Fairfax County, Virginia, wearing a white hood with long ears and attacking people with a hatchet or an axe,” King said. “The clown furor will pass, as these things do, but it will come back, because under the right circumstances, clowns really can be terrifying.”

Although King has helped give clowns a bad name, fear of clowns does pre-date “IT.” The Joker from the Batman comics is a kind of deformed, psychotic clown. Serial killer John Wayne Gacy, who murdered 33 people in Illinois in the 1970s, had a day job performing as a clown at children’s birthday parties and at fundraisers. Fear of clowns even has an unofficial Latin name — “coulrophobia,” which, while not listed in the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM-5 listing of mental illnesses, is certainly a real fear for some folks in North Carolina right now, as well as for any 5-year-old that bursts into tears when a circus clown approaches.

Actor “Lon Chaney said (or is reputed to have said), ‘There’s nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight.’ Meaning, I suppose, a clown seen outside of its normal milieu, in the circus or at the fair,” King said. “If I saw a clown lurking under a lonely bridge (or peering up at me from a sewer grate, with or without balloons), I’d be scared, too.”

In other words, clowns on the lam are no laughing matter.
  • edited September 2016