Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Announcing Dissonant Harmonies

Comments

• Someone on twitter suggested this song because of its title.

Given your taste in music, that’s right up your alley.
    NeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • ....got my copy from CD yesterday, and will pop the seal on it when I complete my latest anthology expedition....
    BevVincentFlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87Notaro
  • Yes!  My copy arrived just today!  Can't wait to curl up with a good read!

BevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNeesyNotaroLou_Sytsma
  • Yes!  My copy arrived just today!  Can't wait to curl up with a good read!

It looks fantastic!
    GNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda GablerNeesyNotaro
  • edited May 2021
    ...I wish I COULD curl up....damn achin' old spine anyway.....(good to see ya Bob! :))
    KurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyNotaro
  • Got mine yesterday! It will be my next read after I finish Four Past Midnight.
    BevVincentNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNotaro
  • Good housekeeping has an article today on
    my newsfeed about The Mandela Effect. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNotaro
  • Good housekeeping has an article today on
    my newsfeed about The Mandela Effect. 
    I think that must be the one I tweeted to Brian.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNotaro
  • ....I just gently folded the TP open last night and perused the picking of the mix tapes....I found myself completely dumbfounded at how little of the music I actually knew.....some of which I've since listened to.....I finally realized that I have worked decades in genres defined by chart success, and have a sporadic/scattershot ear outside of that....just as widely ranged, but on the other side of the turntable as it were, my tastes just simply aren't Bev and Brian's....I was however, quite fascinated by the harvest of audio and why the pickin's were what they were....
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Hack - if you are like me and can't click on this and get to Spotify because of firewalls and don't want to try and type out that long gibberish on your phone - just search Dissonant Harmonies in your app and it will come up. I am going to check it out now, but was impressed with the list at first glance. On the Turning Away is one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs and it appears to be quite the eclectic mix!
    BevVincentHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ...Bev?.....not trying to pick out errors, just something I wondered about.....on the back cover story teases, the summary for your novella mentions "trio" when only two characters are mentioned....misprint?.....or foreshadowing?.......btw, I'm several chapters into your contribution and am digging on it.....another damn fine read.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarodoyoulove19
  • Someone else enters the equation.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerdoyoulove19
  • Someone else enters the equation.
    ....I think this is my favorite of yours thus far....the characters are well drawn and the plot is not beating the literary dead horse....very creative and the Easter Eggs have been fun....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbendoyoulove19Notaro
  • Thanks -- I had a lot of fun writing it!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gablerdoyoulove19Notaro
  • ....folks, if you haven't bought this book....DO IT NOW.....holy shamoley is Bev's story a page turner.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirBevVincent
  • ...on to Brian's contribution I go......
    FlakeNoirBevVincentKurbenHedda Gabler
  • ....finished Mr. Keene's "episode" last night....he is a skilled writer, no doubt about it-but this piece didn't grab me like Bev's did.....too many "alternates" in this one....cleverly executed in the first person, just not what I was anticipating.....
    FlakeNoirBevVincentHedda GablerGrant87doyoulove19
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....finished Mr. Keene's "episode" last night....he is a skilled writer, no doubt about it-but this piece didn't grab me like Bev's did.....too many "alternates" in this one....cleverly executed in the first person, just not what I was anticipating.....
    I was surprised at how short Keene's story was. I expected the two stories to be of similar length. If you like his writing style, I'd recommend checking out his novel Ghoul. It's a small town, coming of age story. He's written a ton of stuff, but that's the only one I've read so far.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTdoyoulove19
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....finished Mr. Keene's "episode" last night....he is a skilled writer, no doubt about it-but this piece didn't grab me like Bev's did.....too many "alternates" in this one....cleverly executed in the first person, just not what I was anticipating.....
    I was surprised at how short Keene's story was. I expected the two stories to be of similar length. If you like his writing style, I'd recommend checking out his novel Ghoul. It's a small town, coming of age story. He's written a ton of stuff, but that's the only one I've read so far.

...thanks for the reccy...I may do that one or see about getting the Rising series since I love me some zombies and see how I like it and since it is one that was supposed to have renewed interest in the genre....I too was a bit taken aback at the brevity of his tale....but before I delve any more into his works I have the sci-fi anthology that Bev contributed to and another true serial killer story on my reading pile...
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87doyoulove19
  • Listen to an excerpt of "The Dead of Winter"

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Listen to an excerpt of "The Dead of Winter"

Oh good, i’m guessing this is the one they played on the panic room? 
    GNTLGNTBevVincentFlakeNoir
  • Yes - I figured if I went to the trouble of recording it, I should make some use of it!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2021
    "The Dead of Winter by Bev Vincent - Captivating from the 1st sentence! Being told the story is like being right there with Joey, Frank, and Chief Lauren Morton. Bev Vincent had me reading for pure enjoyment. I laughed, was brought back remembering movies, sights, and feelings. A truly remarkable storyteller.

The Motel at the End of the World by Brian Keene - For people who think about the Mandela Effect, this 1st person narrative was fast-paced, thought-provoking, and so real-to-life! I absolutely loved this!" - Nancy J Sullivan

I've been a fan of Brian Keene for many years, and Bev Vincent's literate, compelling nonfiction has led me to his thrilling short storytelling as well. Here, they each deliver a wicked nightmare perfect for late-night page-turning. "Dead of Winter" is Vincent's spooky, snowbound offering, a snub-nosed .38 round of a story; while "The Motel at the End of the World" by Keene leverages the best of his hipshot horror talents, leaving the reader slightly unsettled about his/her reality. I'd love to see these two deliver a similar twofer annually -- this is a helluva partnership debut! -- Rick Cross

Two stories. two authors. Two mixtapes. The result -- this book. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The first story had relatable, real feeling people. It's sometimes hard to tell a good story in a novella format, but Bev Vincent pulled it off great. It was a little different from your normal horror story in that the twist of what is going on -- I won't spoil it here -- is something new and interesting. The story and the characters were fun and the environment of being in the middle of a snowstorm is one I know well from living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

The second story from Brian Keene was also different, concerning the Mandela effect. And while this story was shorter, he still packs a punch at the ending. I enjoyed it a lot as well. --Joel Sundquist

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben