Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What’s in a name?

lots of new people here, some of whom I barely know. I get to know you mostly via your chosen user name. If there’s a story behind your name that you’d like to share, this is the place to do so!
FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcatEdwardJohndoyoulove19Sundrop

Comments

• edited July 2020
    My story is pretty old now and you've probably heard it several times. (sorry Bev, Deejers, Scott) But just in case some of the newer people don't know.

I'm named after this:

A deliciously dark chocolate bar. 

Back in... (I don't remember) the old days, I wanted to buy something online and we had to have a username to use the trading site, I didn't want to use my real name and I had just eaten a Flake (Noir) bar, so chose that. 
    BevVincentspideymanHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19Sundrop
  • Like Flake, you have probably  have heard my story before.  My beloved doxie, Gismo had a favorite squeaky toy spider. He never left it out of his sight.  He is holding it in my avatar pic.  I used to call him "spideyman". Thus, when he passed, to honor him, I use the name Spideyman. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19Sundrop
  • In high school, we had an English teacher that was known to be very tough.  Everyone avoided taking his classes, but I made sure I had him every year.  

He was passionate about what he did.  Not only did he bring us interesting material to study, he challenged us to think differently about it.  To see something no one else saw.  To discuss and debate our thoughts on the material we read.  To analyze. 

And he was truly interested in what you had to say.  He loved all the different ideas.  Because, no matter what a person reads, we attach our lives to it.  Every single thing you read leaves you feeling something, even if it's boredom or indifference.  

One day, he brought us a mimeographed copy  (smell that paper, kids) of the play, Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen.  I will never forget how animated he was while handing it out.  I can still see him and hear him as he said the name with a maniacal look on his face and a sinister tone -- Hedda Gabbbbbbler.  I laughed so hard.

Anyway, Mr. S was one of those teachers who didn't phone it in.  He loved to teach. And he taught me to love anything and everything that continued to challenge me, entertain me, anger me, confuse me, embrace me -- in his honor, I am -- Hedda Gabler.
    NotaroFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19Sundrop
  • I'm starting to feel pretty stupid for choosing a chocolate bar now. :D
    Hedda GablerNotaroBevVincentGNTLGNTspideymancatdoyoulove19SundropKurben
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I'm starting to feel pretty stupid for choosing a chocolate bar now. :D
     :D   It's a damn good chocolate bar though, right?
    NotaroBevVincentGNTLGNTspideymancatFlakeNoirdoyoulove19
  • edited July 2020
    FlakeNoir said:
    I'm starting to feel pretty stupid for choosing a chocolate bar now. :D
     :D   It's a damn good chocolate bar though, right?
    OMGawwwd, the best. 

Girl, I'm just dragging my butt to bed, it's :scream: 2:30 am!
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymancat
  • Sleep my friend. Now I want chocolate.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymancat
  • .....Bev, you and I have met-so you grasp the GNT part....the story of Gentle Giant is a brief, and retreaded tale....when I started in radio over 40 years ago, each of the DJ's had a nickname....I thought for a bit, and between my large size and pleasant demeanor(at the time), I came up with the nom de plume....I have been accused of lifting it from country singer Don Williams OR the band Gentle Giant.....neither could be farther from the case, because I was unaware of those two things.....people have called me a multitude of pet names over time, but I've always hung on to my first.....
    NotaroBevVincentHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymancatdoyoulove19Sundrop
  • just bumping this up to hear more stories.
    BevVincentcatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideyman
  • I was "cat in a bag" at the SKMB, it was a nickname one of my cousins always called me. Catina is my first name, so if you break that up, cat in a and he added the bag part to make the nickname. He still calls me that when we see each other, in greeting. 

In regular life, I answer to Tina but everyone started calling me cat on the SKMB and I like that, so I chose just "cat" for my name here. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanHedda Gablerdoyoulove19SundropKurben
  • No story as such with mine, my favourite band since forever is the Crumbsuckers, their vocalist is a guy called Chris Notaro, when I signed on to SKMB it was all I think of as a username, when I joined here it was easier to keep it than trying to pick a new one.
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanHedda Gablerdoyoulove19SundropKurben
  • EJ are my parents parents names. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanHedda Gablerdoyoulove19cat
  • bumping this so anyone new will see it.  I love hearing how everyone decided on their handle.
    spideymandoyoulove19NotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • When I first started reading Stephen King back in the eighties, Skeleton Crew was my first short story collection.  The phrase "do you love?" is featured in two of those stories - Nona and The Reach. and it just haunted me.  When I joined SKMB, I was deep into the Dark Tower journey and 19 was everywhere.  I wanted something cool, so I wove 19 into the do you love? part and became do1you9love?  Upon realizing how much difficultly folks had trying to write that out, I went with doyoulove19 for this site.  Still the same ol' me!
    Hedda GablerNotarospideymanEdwardJohnGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundropKurben
  • When I first started reading Stephen King back in the eighties, Skeleton Crew was my first short story collection.  The phrase "do you love?" is featured in two of those stories - Nona and The Reach. and it just haunted me.  When I joined SKMB, I was deep into the Dark Tower journey and 19 was everywhere.  I wanted something cool, so I wove 19 into the do you love? part and became do1you9love?  Upon realizing how much difficultly folks had trying to write that out, I went with doyoulove19 for this site.  Still the same ol' me!
    Here was me thinking it was the KISS song. :)
    doyoulove19spideymanGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirKurben
    Oh you're not kidding, the amount of times I stumbled and tripped on your name on the board... which is why you became DoYa. (I know...  I'm sorry. 😆 ) 
    Hedda GablercatNotarospideymandoyoulove19GNTLGNTSundropKurben
  • I like the character Nadine in The Stand.   Nottie is a nickname from it that Muskrat dubbed me.
    spideymandoyoulove19GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoircatOut of OrderKurben
  • FlakeNoir said:
    When I first started reading Stephen King back in the eighties, Skeleton Crew was my first short story collection.  The phrase "do you love?" is featured in two of those stories - Nona and The Reach. and it just haunted me.  When I joined SKMB, I was deep into the Dark Tower journey and 19 was everywhere.  I wanted something cool, so I wove 19 into the do you love? part and became do1you9love?  Upon realizing how much difficultly folks had trying to write that out, I went with doyoulove19 for this site.  Still the same ol' me!
    Oh you're not kidding, the amount of times I stumbled and tripped on your name on the board... which is why you became DoYa. (I know...  I'm sorry. 😆 ) 
    S'okay!  I answer to Doya just fine!  

Most of us have ended up with a shorted or different nickname... Flakers, Deej, Nottie, Sunny, OoO, Cat, GNT, etc!    B)
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroSundropFlakeNoircatOut of Ordernot_nadineKurben
  • My favorite soft drink is Sundrop, so I chose that name at SKMB.  Almost immediately, everyone called me Sunny.  I like that too, and started to change it but decided to stick with the original, and still enjoy being called Sunny
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentspideymancatdoyoulove19GNTLGNTOut of OrderKurben
  • Sundrop said:
    My favorite soft drink is Sundrop, so I chose that name at SKMB.  Almost immediately, everyone called me Sunny.  I like that too, and started to change it but decided to stick with the original, and still enjoy being called Sunny
    Sundrop drink? ... Man ... Must be a US drink. 
    catGNTLGNTSundropKurben
  • FlakeNoir said:
    When I first started reading Stephen King back in the eighties, Skeleton Crew was my first short story collection.  The phrase "do you love?" is featured in two of those stories - Nona and The Reach. and it just haunted me.  When I joined SKMB, I was deep into the Dark Tower journey and 19 was everywhere.  I wanted something cool, so I wove 19 into the do you love? part and became do1you9love?  Upon realizing how much difficultly folks had trying to write that out, I went with doyoulove19 for this site.  Still the same ol' me!
    S'okay!  I answer to Doya just fine!  

Most of us have ended up with a shorted or different nickname... Flakers, Deej, Nottie, Sunny, OoO, Cat, GNT, etc!    B)
    I would be Ed I assume? :)
    catdoyoulove19GNTLGNTSundrop
  • S'okay!  I answer to Doya just fine!  

Or Eeej!   :D
    GNTLGNTcatHedda GablerSundrop
  • S'okay!  I answer to Doya just fine!  

Or Eeej!   :D
    No! Not eeej. Too close to deej. We called him EJ
    doyoulove19GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundropKurben
  • 🦑🦇🌽🚕📽♊️🇹🇬🇰🇳🇹🇨

found the phone emojis!!!
    doyoulove19NotaroGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundrop
  • 🦑🦇🌽🚕📽♊️🇹🇬🇰🇳🇹🇨

found the phone emojis!!!

GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirHedda Gablerdoyoulove19Kurben