Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Ogilvy Affair

I decided to stick my toe in the waters of the self-publishing world with a 21,000-word novella called The Ogilvy Affair, which is now available on Amazon.

First came the warning note.

Then someone took a shot at Clifford Ogilvy, publisher of the Harrisville Dispatch. The would-be killer missed, but he or she will likely try again.

Enter Quentin Sawyer, a private detective from Houston who responds to Ogilvy's request for an investigator to find out who's trying to kill him. Sawyer is a fish out of water at the luxurious Ogilvy mansion and in small town Harrisville. He soon discovers that his problem isn't finding someone who has a motive to murder his powerful client. Just about everyone in town has a reason to dislike Ogilvy.

Sawyer needs to narrow down the long list of suspects before the killer tries again.
FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler

Comments

• It's a hardboiled Agatha Christie murder mystery!

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTnot_nadineHedda Gabler
  • Congrats Bev!

BevVincentFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited January 2021
    That looks and sounds fantastic, great job Bev.
    NotaroGNTLGNTBevVincentHedda Gabler
  • ....excellent man, hoping it will come out on paper in a future collection.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....excellent man, hoping it will come out on paper in a future collection.....
    I think it's likely I'll do a crime fiction collection at some point and it would go well there. I'm still considering doing a standalone paperback version of it as well, but the layout requirements are a little more sophisticated than with an eBook, so there's a bit of a learning curve.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • The nice thing is -- I've already had enough people report that they've bought the book that I covered all my expenses. ($10 for the stock photo for the cover!)
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • ....I really look forward to it Bev, your reccy for Masthead has rekindled my love of mysteries and crime suspense......
    FlakeNoirBevVincentHedda Gabler
  • The nice thing is -- I've already had enough people report that they've bought the book that I covered all my expenses. ($10 for the stock photo for the cover!)
    I don't have an re-reader, is there a way I can purchase and read this without an e-book device? Like an app I could use on my phone?
    I'm also pretty clueless about whether I can just use a NZ Visa debit card to purchase? 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    The nice thing is -- I've already had enough people report that they've bought the book that I covered all my expenses. ($10 for the stock photo for the cover!)
    I don't have an re-reader, is there a way I can purchase and read this without an e-book device? Like an app I could use on my phone?
    I'm also pretty clueless about whether I can just use a NZ Visa debit card to purchase? 
    I believe it can be purchased anywhere in the world via your local Amazon, but I'm not sure about that--and it might take a day or two to deploy around the world, too.

There is a Kindle plugin for browsers and a free Kindle app for cell phones that you can use to read Amazon/kindle content.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    The nice thing is -- I've already had enough people report that they've bought the book that I covered all my expenses. ($10 for the stock photo for the cover!)
    I believe it can be purchased anywhere in the world via your local Amazon, but I'm not sure about that--and it might take a day or two to deploy around the world, too.

There is a Kindle plugin for browsers and a free Kindle app for cell phones that you can use to read Amazon/kindle content.
    Thank you, I'll give it a go. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

....by the way....what the hell is a "re-reader"?...... :D :D
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

....by the way....what the hell is a "re-reader"?...... :D :D
    Aww shit. I hate that my editing powers diminished once we walked away from SK land. 😄
    (maybe it's a device one must use on a second-time read? Smarty pants.. 😜😁)
    NotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I decided to go ahead and do the layout for a paperback version of this novella. I have a proof coming my way. Once I receive it and check for any glitches, I'll publish the book on Amazon. Probably next week, depending on how fast they ship the proof to me.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I decided to go ahead and do the layout for a paperback version of this novella. I have a proof coming my way. Once I receive it and check for any glitches, I'll publish the book on Amazon. Probably next week, depending on how fast they ship the proof to me.
    Meme Creator - Funny Here Take my money Meme Generator at MemeCreatororg
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy
  • The paperback edition is now available on Amazon.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ...order placed.....I'll go without lunch today, but don't let that worry ya..... :D
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroBevVincentNeesy
  • ....just received my copy today!....will place it on the tippy=top of the TBR heap, and move on into it when I complete Masthead.(I read a couple tales each night before sacking out)....an appropriate segue methinks.....nice author headshot too Bev.....
    FlakeNoirKurbenBevVincentHedda GablerNotaro
  • It's a hardboiled Agatha Christie murder mystery!

I love a good whodunnit!

FlakeNoirBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • ....the chair did it in the library with Bev's hat.....
    BevVincentKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • ....completed Masthead....so got the first chapter of this read(had two other stories to finish in the former)....got a kick out the hard-boiled tropes Bev.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • ....this story is really pulling me along.....
    BevVincentHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I'm glad -- I look forward to hearing what you think when you finish, especially after you read the Afterword about the story's evolution.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I'm glad -- I look forward to hearing what you think when you finish, especially after you read the Afterword about the story's evolution.
    ...my pleasure.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
    .....closed the cover for good last night......folks, this is a well crafted embrace of a lifelong fondness for the detective genre....Bev doesn't lay on the hard boiled tropes with a trowel, he brushes them atmospherically at the onset and then they naturally evolve with the tale....if you approach this looking for "dames", "molls", "gams" or "Roscoes", then it will be a fruitless read....the story is swiftly laid out, and then in the next 18,000 words or so-he takes us on an adventure in intrigue and mystery with a satisfying if not unexpected denouement...his main character and protagonist has evolved for the better over the decades of development and discards.....I for one, would recommend this "gumshoe" make at least one one more appearance, or become a recurring character in his future writing....also, a tip of the readers lamp goes to the title of the novella....it is double edged.....nicely done Mr. Vincent....nicely done.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincent
  • I'm very pleased by your comments -- it hits all the marks of what I was aiming for. I especially like that you twigged to the title allusion. I was very smugly self-satisfied about that! Would you mind if I pulled an excerpt from your comments as a blurb for a promo tweet?
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesyNotaro